Eric is Quiet

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

Said this about part 1 on this forum but there's stuff in this that's reminiscent of South Indian cinema. More filmmakers need to do the main character walks in slow mo as everyone else looks at them in awe/terror bit.

16 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

That's also a staple of anime.

Denis said recently that Akira was an inspiration for Dune Part II, and... I can see it, actually

And I think in this same interview that Ingrid Bergman was an inspiration for close ups and showing people's interactions. I couldn't get that out of my head when rewatched it on Tuesday. That influence you can definitely see.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

That's also a staple of anime.

Denis said recently that Akira was an inspiration for Dune Part II, and... I can see it, actually

Denis is probably the only filmmaker I could trust on that Akira adaptation. Would probably still be a bad idea though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Any chance the name of the thread can be changed? It's annoying to be unable to find it because it's using characters to represent a font change.

Search "Zendaya"

10 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Next year Dune 2 is winning Best Picture for sure.

Best director yes, Best Picture I don't know. It's still a weird Sci-fi sequel.

• Like 2

I don't know if it wins. Academy is stacked against Sci Fi. Messiah, from.my understanding, does play more into the type of stuff the Academy likes so it may stand a better chance, especially if they actually make it the finale.

Though if that one does comparable numbers one wonders if they may decide to just continue without Villeneuve 

• Like 2

This is not going to win in the above the line categories, y'all need to be realistic. The 1-2 punch of sci-fi+middle chapter is just way too much, if any of the Dune films win it'll be Messiah and even then I will be skeptical of the academy actually rewarding a hard sci-fi film.

I'd take a Villeneuve nomination atleast though. They atleast owe it that much.

• Like 1

Oppenheimer is a biopic movie please. It has Nolan influence in the directing style and in part of the structure. For the rest is the Historical period drama biopic (even related to world war II !) Academy loves 😆

In terms of "now Academy could like blockbusters - cinecomics- b movie inspired action movies" the win last year of "all at once" was way more significative.

Dune is absolutely not an Oscar bait movie. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s too early to predict what the Best Picture lineup next year will be. 

Not to say dune 2 won't win BP. Villenueve wasn' even nominated for the first movie despite best picture. 

WB has Dune 2, Joker 2 and Furiosa, three sequels/spinoffs to big blockbusters with a massive amounts of awards love. However, that also means the three films will often be competing for the same spot(s). Feels like we need to see Furiosa/Joker first before predicting Dune 2's awards reception too strongly. 

16 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

WB has Dune 2, Joker 2 and Furiosa, three sequels/spinoffs to big blockbusters with a massive amounts of awards love. However, that also means the three films will often be competing for the same spot(s). Feels like we need to see Furiosa/Joker first before predicting Dune 2's awards reception too strongly. 

Furiosa and joker 2 i don't think are granted success in terms of Academy love. Imo sequels Academy could ignore if they don't bring nothing new after the first movie (see black panther 2 or how avatar 2 got only 3 technical nominees against first movie 9).

I see Gladiator 2 being the other sequel- blockbuster could take the love this year. 

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Sure. My point was more that because all 3 films are from WB, WB is going to essentially to pick one of them as their main horse. 

It's a crapshot. Dune 2 moved to 2024 and Color Purple flopped, so WB focused entirely on pushing Barbie which didn't win anything except song.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 9:22 PM, von Kenni said:

And I think in this same interview that Ingrid Bergman was an inspiration for close ups and showing people's interactions. I couldn't get that out of my head when rewatched it on Tuesday. That influence you can definitely see.

Might be true, but David Lean was the overhwlmeing infuence of VIllanueva making the Dune movies.

53 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Might be true, but David Lean was the overhwlmeing infuence of VIllanueva making the Dune movies.

For sure, and he has mentioned as much too. In that interview he just stated five different films that influenced him regarding different aspects about Dune and Bergman was about close ups. I don't think David Lean was so far away in that regard too when having Lawrence of Arabia and Kwai river footage roll in my mind when writing this. Bergman was just over the top in framing close ups with faces.

Lean is definitely the overwhelming "one" as an influence. Lawrence of Arabia is one of my all-time favorites too and I watched the Bridge on the River Kwai multiple times when I was a kid.