Eric is Quiet

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

I think people are overhyped for dune 2 in term of award prospect. Dune 2 may sweep the technical category but they will reserve core category to more personal, socially-relevant and small scale story. 

Pretty much, I do hope Villeneuve atleast gets a nom though.

Just now, titanic2187 said:

I think people are overhyped for dune 2 in term of award prospect. Dune 2 may sweep the technical category but they will reserve core category to more personal, socially-relevant and small scale story. 

I agree with the caveat that this may do huge box office, and become a cultural phenomenon. If that's the case, it'll be in the conversation for Best Picture.

Otherwise it's going to be Dune/Mad Max Fury Road, where it wins a ton of Oscars, and people love the movie, but is not a possibility in BP/BD.

The primary thing standing in its way is that it's only February/March. In the end I don't think it'll prevent it from loading up on a ton of technical noms, but it'll have a harder fight to stay on voters' minds than a lot of comparable blockbusters who succeeded at the Oscars. In terms of repeat wins, that can end up being tough too since how many times do sequels repeat wins like that? Obviously Return of the King swept like mad as a nod to the whole trilogy, but Two Towers did drop from Fellowship's 13 noms & 4 wins to a "mere" 6 noms and 2 wins. Only VFX repeated the win.

8 minutes ago, Lucas said:

The primary thing standing in its way is that it's only February/March. In the end I don't think it'll prevent it from loading up on a ton of technical noms, but it'll have a harder fight to stay on voters' minds than a lot of comparable blockbusters who succeeded at the Oscars. In terms of repeat wins, that can end up being tough too since how many times do sequels repeat wins like that? Obviously Return of the King swept like mad as a nod to the whole trilogy, but Two Towers did drop from Fellowship's 13 noms & 4 wins to a "mere" 6 noms and 2 wins. Only VFX repeated the win.

to be fair, LOTR was filmed as a trilogy back to back so they knew ROTK was coming. They weren't going to up the number of wins for the middle movie. Dune 2 could suffer from Dune Messiah announcement but it has contained story. What some call a cliffhanger really isn't that.

I don't think that Feb/March stands in the way as much as actors' support. If it is seen as actors movie on top of tech movie (helped LOTR) than it has a shot to win. If not than no. 

If Oppenheimer wins, it will be a big socially relevant movie. They don't have to be small and barely seen all the fuckin time.

17 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Something going for it would be that this year looks pretty...rough as a result of the strikes. Certainly won't be as competitive a year as 2023 would've been, anyway.

But I do think people expecting it to win big - especially as a middle chapter of a trilogy - will be disappointed. Being deserving or not doesn't matter.

1 minute ago, WorkingonaName said:

I think Denis is more likely to win for the Cleopatra movie.  

Nah no one cares for Cleopatra. I wished he didn't make it smells like a flop. It isn't like there's shortage of Cleopatra, didn't Netflix make a movie or series that flopped recently?

Just now, Valonqar said:

Nah no one cares for Cleopatra. I wished he didn't make it smells like a flop. It isn't like there's shortage of Cleopatra, didn't Netflix make a movie or series that flopped recently?

Netflix made Cleopatra black for whatever reason. 

btw having seen the movie I can obviously confirm the Academy would be absolutely nuts not to nominate this for pretty much every category it would qualify for. Chalamet is obviously never gonna happen since it never does for leads in these movies, but he's so good in this. And if I could pick myself I'd put Zendaya up for Lead Actress instead of Supporting. Ofc in actuality if they even bother trying to push any of the actors then Zendaya will have a stronger case in Supporting.

• Like 2

As long as I love the movie and it racks up a bunch of nominations, I'll be happy.

As the nomination and voting process works, it's almost more prestigious (note the almost) to be nominated than to win

8 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Netflix made Cleopatra black for whatever reason. 

Denis apparently might hire Zendaya for this so it’ll be another black Cleopatra. Not sure if it’s true though although the production sheet came out a few months ago before Denis actually confirmed the movie. 

DE431F3C-B69A-4B88-AD24-DBAFB983F745.jpe