Eric is Quiet

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

WB is really an expert in making Oscar blockbuster unlike any other major studio. They have Inception, Mad Max, Gravity, American Sniper, Dunkirk, Joker, Dune, Barbie. And this year they may have more than one in a single year. 

It would be fair if a WB sci fi became the first one to win Best Picture. I know that some consider EEAAO sci fi but that's a stretch. It's more of a fantasy. 

This is lock to get BP nom. Like Oppenheimer I am hoping it will have great BO run and so will be the frontrunner. Hopefully Denis is also in BD contention. he should be for sure considering its purely director driven version. Plus win all tech awards for sure. I am not sure if it will get any acting noms. Unlikely for the genre. 

• Like 1

Guess who finally remembered his password?

Anyway, I was expecting good reviews. But not that good. Will be interesting to see if it gives ticket sales a bump.

I think some people on this site are losing sight of the fact that this is a long, esoteric, hard sci-fi movie. Anything over 60m opening is a big win to me. I think we’re maybe letting our hopes over-inflate what is possible in reality. I’m still skeptical of GA appeal.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

I think some people on this site are losing sight of the fact that this is a long, esoteric, hard sci-fi movie. Anything over 60m opening is a big win to me. I think we’re maybe letting our hopes over-inflate what is possible in reality. I’m still skeptical of GA appeal.

Normally I'd agree, and you certainly have cinema history behind your argument. But I think we may be looking at a special case, the kind that comes along every so often. A key to this is how early on Villeneuve cited THE GODFATHER as a thematic example of the story he wanted to tell here (and it was great to hear). Few would accuse that film of being watered down in any way, yet it was a paradigm shifting, mass success. It's possible Dune will achieve this. It seems like it's been deliberately given enough surface pleasures to "worm" its way into a place in mass minds to make it a conversation piece. 

Well, at least that's what I hope. 

35 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I hate to be that guy, but isn’t this technically more Legendary’s film than WB’s? 

Legendary was the reason Dune was delayed to March 2024, which in hindsight was a good move. Now Dune gets to be the first big movie of the year.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

I'm glad the reviews seem to be a lot better than Part 1 which I found to be well made but quite dry, but I'll wait to see it myself before calling this a big W as I'm increasingly finding critics to be out of their fucking minds of late.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Guess who finally remembered his password?

Anyway, I was expecting good reviews. But not that good. Will be interesting to see if it gives ticket sales a bump.

Same. Will be happy to be wrong.

Love to see all the exuberant reviews.

8 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I'm glad the reviews seem to be a lot better than Part 1 which I found to be well made but quite dry, but I'll wait to see it myself before calling this a big W as I'm increasingly finding critics to be out of their fucking minds of late.

I 100% believe this is, at the very least, a well-made film because I haven't seen a bad Denis Villeneuve film, but what examples of critics being out of their minds are you thinking of?

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

This is lock to get BP nom. Like Oppenheimer I am hoping it will have great BO run and so will be the frontrunner. Hopefully Denis is also in BD contention. he should be for sure considering its purely director driven version. Plus win all tech awards for sure. I am not sure if it will get any acting noms. Unlikely for the genre. 

There's also another thing that worries me re: win which is that current Metacritic is 80 while Oppenheimer is 90. Given the genre bias, genre movies need to work harder to win. ROTK had 94, Shape of the Water 87 but EEAAO 81 though that one has some other advantages. I really hope Meta stays above 80 and increase. Bloody Elrich review really drags it down.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Last Man Standing said:

Eh, I'm a huge Dune fan, but I don't hold it against people if they just don't vibe with these movies, they are not for everyone and that's ok.

Now if they disliked Princess Bride? Then I just start distrusting them as human beings.

This is really funny to me because Armond White's latest review was literally a rotten on princess bride.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

There's also another thing that worries me re: win which is that current Metacritic is 80 while Oppenheimer is 90. Given the genre bias, genre movies need to work harder to win. ROTK had 94, Shape of the Water 87 but EEAAO 81 though that one has some other advantages. I really hope Meta stays above 80 and increase. Bloody Elrich review really drags it down.  

Removing Ehrlich's review would only bring the Metacritic score to 81. He's not bringing it down that much.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

Just now, Last Man Standing said:

Armond White is a professional troll, I appreciate his commitment to the bit.

He has reviewed 9 of the BP films so far and gave rotten to all of them, but gave Rebel Moon a fresh. That people cry about Ehrlich while this guy gets to upload reviews on rt is kind of incredible.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

It would be fair if a WB sci fi became the first one to win Best Picture. I know that some consider EEAAO sci fi but that's a stretch. It's more of a fantasy. 

Multiverse theory is literally a scientific concept though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

He has reviewed 9 of the BP films so far and gave rotten to all of them, but gave Rebel Moon a fresh. That people cry about Ehrlich while this guy gets to upload reviews on rt is kind of incredible.

I think the difference is nobody takes White seriously as everyone knows his boring shtick. Ehrlich is actually unpredictable as he gives some popular films positive reviews so folks pay attention to see how he receives their favorites.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 3