AMCTheater2000

The Garfield Movie | Sony | May 24, 2024

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/chris-pratt-garfield-animated-feature-1235039314/#recipient_hashed=c71ab1d0ae19dafdcd031a93a60ca0445c319df7fd812d0b1e3cc66caab37e5c

Chris Pratt is going to voice the lasagna-loving, Monday-hating comic strip cat Garfield in a new animated movie.

Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson’s Alcon Entertainment is behind the new Garfield, which has been picked up for worldwide (excluding China) release by Sony Pictures. The script written by Oscar nominee David Reynolds (Finding Nemo) is being directed by Mark Dindal (Chicken Little), with the duo having previously worked together on The Emperor’s New Groove.

Created by Jim Davis, Garfield debuted as a comic character first in 1978, with the lazy tabby cat often appearing alongside Jon Arbuckle, his human owner, and the lovable household dog Odie. Originally appearing in 41 newspapers, Garfield currently holds the record for being the most widely syndicated comic strip in the world.

Alcon acquired the rights from Davis, who will serve as an executive producer on the film, along with Bridget McMeel from Amuse and Craig Sost. John Cohen and Steven P. Wegner produce alongside Kosove and Johnson. DNEG Animation, which recently worked in the animated feature Ron’s Gone Wrong, will animate and produce the film. DNEG CEO Namit Malhotra and president Tom Jacomb are both serving as producers.

Garfield previously appeared on the big screen in live-action/animated hybrid Garfield in 2004 and its sequel, 2006’s Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties. In these movies, both produced by 20th Century Fox, Bill Murray voiced the titular cat.

Pratt’s voice work includes the Lego Movie films and Pixar’s Onward, as well as the upcoming Super Mario Bros. animated movie from Universal and Nintendo, where he will be playing Mario. The actor, repped by UTA, Rise Management and Sloane Offer, was most recently seen in Amazon’s sci-fi feature The Tomorrow War and is due back in theaters with Jurassic World: Dominion.

Edited by AMCTheater2000

I've yet to see Pratt give a performance that suggests he's gonna have much of a lasting career once his Star Lord/Jurassic days are over so you know what if being The King of Animation is his mission in life then go ahead and grab ALL the cartoon gigs Chris!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Eric loves Ajak said:

Huh. I thought Nickelodeon owned Garfield now. Guess it doesn't really matter.

Apparently Alcon owns the rights for the film as it was in development before the Nick deal.

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm so desperate for anything from Mark Dindal (who made the best Disney picture in the past couple decades) that I'm ok with this.

True, The Emperor’s New Groove is bussin’.  One of the top 5 Disney Animation movies. Also we got robbed for not getting Me and My Shadow so I’m happy Dindal is getting more animation work.

• Like 1

People on my Twitter timeline are still making jokes about Chris Pratt's casting a whole day later. At the very least, you can't say this announcement wasn't a failure in terms of headlines and social media attention. Speaking of jokes...

On 11/1/2021 at 2:40 PM, Wondy said:

This is such a step down from Bill Murray. 

And IMHO Murray was a step down from Leonard Music, who created the voice of Garfield.

Music was also known for us Old Timers as the voice of Carlton the Dorrman on the "Rhoda" TV sitcom, a spinoff from the Mary Tyler Moore show.

Getting released Feb 16 2024. At least Pratt and SLJ have found some work at last.

Sony will be opening the Alcon Entertainment animated movie on February 16, 2024.

Chris Pratt voices Garfield and Samuel L. Jackson plays a brand-new character, Vic who is Garfield’s father in the Mark Dindal directed movie. David Reynolds wrote the screenplay.

Alcon Entertainment acquired the rights from the creator of the Garfield comic series and brand, Jim Davis, who will also serve as an executive producer.

Producers are John Cohen, Steven P. Wegner, Andrew Kosove, Broderick Johnson, Namit Malhotra and Tom Jacomb.

Bridget McMeel and Craig Sost are EPs.

Alcon Entertainment is financing the animated feature, and Sony Pictures will be distributing globally (excluding China).

Currently the only other title on Feb. 16, 2024 is an untitled Marvel film and untitled Universal movie for the Valentine’s Day/Presidents Day holiday stretch.

• Like 1