AMCTheater2000

The Garfield Movie | Sony | May 24, 2024

Wanted to hold off until I heard more, but I still see that Garfield still sounds like Chris Pratt and not the lax cat I'm familiar with.

Even without Lorenzo Music, Bill Murray and Frank Welker were able to capture that tone perfectly. All I'm hearing is Chris Pratt, not Garfield. The plot thread doesn't appear to do anything for me, and the humor doesn't work either.

I'll probably end up passing on this, sadly.

• Sad 2

Outside Spider-Verse, Sony's animated films haven't exactly broken out. For now, I'm thinking it will land in the range of $100-150 million DOM like a lot of animated films recently. 

On 3/4/2024 at 5:57 PM, emoviefan said:

I tapped out at 50 seconds. This looks terrible. Watch it be the biggest movie of May. 

Ageed, and Garfield was one of my favorite comic strips. I don't care how good the animatin is, if the writing is bad the film will be bad.

On 3/4/2024 at 10:05 PM, keysersoze123 said:

its crap but could do well like illumination movies. So I am not sure about its BO. Let us see how presales go for this. Its release date seems sub optimal looking at number of releases. But this could still do well in the crowd. 

You might be right. One of the great puzzles is why the Illuminatin movies continue to make money though overall they are mediocre at best, and less then that at worst.

On 3/4/2024 at 7:46 PM, NoobSaibot said:

Wanted to hold off until I heard more, but I still see that Garfield still sounds like Chris Pratt and not the lax cat I'm familiar with.

Even without Lorenzo Music, Bill Murray and Frank Welker were able to capture that tone perfectly. All I'm hearing is Chris Pratt, not Garfield. The plot thread doesn't appear to do anything for me, and the humor doesn't work either.

I'll probably end up passing on this, sadly.

That is because, Murry and Welker were smart enough to relise that Music's voice for Garfield is Iconic, and decided to follow it as closely as possible without doing an out and out imitation.

Edited by dudalb

Anecdotal, but I was subbing for a grade 8-10 Drama class last week. They were doing a film unit, but I wasn't left with a lesson plan by the teacher (and was told I'd be teaching the class 5 minutes before it started). So we watched as a class a bunch of trailers for Summer 2024 movies and discussed whether they looked good or bad (followed by a vote "how many of you are going to see this in theaters?") 

This movie got the biggest YES vote by far, across the board. The stoners, the theater kids, the quiet readers, the "jocks who don't wanna be there". All of them said they want to see this. Even higher than Despicable Me 4. 

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Anecdotal, but I was subbing for a grade 8-10 Drama class last week. They were doing a film unit, but I wasn't left with a lesson plan by the teacher (and was told I'd be teaching the class 5 minutes before it started). So we watched as a class a bunch of trailers for Summer 2024 movies and discussed whether they looked good or bad (followed by a vote "how many of you are going to see this in theaters?") 

This movie got the biggest YES vote by far, across the board. The stoners, the theater kids, the quiet readers, the "jocks who don't wanna be there". All of them said they want to see this. Even higher than Despicable Me 4. 

Show them the wild robot trailer and see what happens…