LPLC

Spiderman : No Way Home - Box office thread

3 minutes ago, MG10 said:

It doesn't happen often that Brazil isn't in the top 5 international markets for a superhero movie (especially excluding China), does anyone know why and if it still has a chanche to overtake Australia?

COVID restrictions and because it's ER went to shit in the last 2 years. If NWH had the same ER as Endgame, then it would be at $71M USD. 

10 minutes ago, MG10 said:

It doesn't happen often that Brazil isn't in the top 5 international markets for a superhero movie (especially excluding China), does anyone know why and if it still has a chanche to overtake Australia?

No it will finish behind Australia 

33 minutes ago, MG10 said:

Mostly ER. Brazilian ER has been shit in last few years and movie tickets are around same. NWH ATP is just $3.3 while in 2015 films used to have around $4.8. 

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

For what it's worth regarding China, NWH currently has a score of 7.9 on Maoyan. Not a huge sample size given the film wasn't officially released there, but this is much lower than either IW, EG, or FFH even. Combined with the data from Hong Kong and Taiwan, it does point to a similar underperformance relative to the rest of the world.

Ehh most of those people at best watched a camrip if any, it hardly matters or show the reality.

41 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

NWH ATP is just $3.3 while in 2015 films used to have around $4.8. 

And unlike Mexico which has increased ticket prices to upset both decrease in admissions and ER; Brazil has remained pretty much the same since 2019 in part because they are already quite high but they can't hold much more.

6 hours ago, Fox20 said:

Ehh most of those people at best watched a camrip if any, it hardly matters or show the reality.

Maoyan also incorporates reviews from Chinese nationals who watched the film overseas though I agree the score is not enough by itself to make any definitive conclusions either way. But its "want-to-see" index on Maoyan (usually a good indicator of general audience hype pre-release) was also strangely low for a film of this scale, being less than 1/3 of Venom 2 a month before its supposed release date. 

I found on Cineguru a list of the countries where No Way Home has become the highest grossing superhero movie: 

Great Britain, Argentina, Belgium, Croatia, Egypt, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lithuania, Mexico, Mongolia, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Syria, Turkey and Ukraine

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MG10 said:

I found on Cineguru a list of the countries where No Way Home has become the highest grossing superhero movie: 

Great Britain, Argentina, Belgium, Croatia, Egypt, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lithuania, Mexico, Mongolia, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Syria, Turkey and Ukraine

This doesn’t seem to be complete, missing Russia at least so maybe others.

2 hours ago, MG10 said:

Wow. I wonder why the Middle East loved this movie so much?

I think we can expect $1,035B final OS without Philippines and Netherlands

Maybe $1,06B-$1,07B final OS run without China

#8 best OS grosser

#4 best OS grosser without China

$765M-$775M in DOM

#3 best DOM grosser

$1825M-$1845M WW

#6 best WW grosser 

#5 best WW grosser without China 

240M admissions in the world 

#8 most viewed movie in theaters

NWH surpass or will surpass AEG (and become biggest MCU grosser and highest-grossing superhero movie of all time) in

EMEA : Belgium / Croatia / Egypt / France / Iraq / Israel / Jordan / Kuwait / Lebanon / Lithuania / Nigeria / Norway / Oman / Saudi Arabia / Serbia / Switzerland / Syria / Turkey (in lc) / Ukraine / UK = 21 countries

LA :  Argentina / Bolivia / Mexico (in lc) / Venezuela = 4 countries 

#2 biggest grosser and most viewed in LA 

APAC : Mongolia / Russia  = 2 country 

NWH has therefore overtaken AEG in 27 countries and can still be added to the list (maybe) Australia, Austria ?, Iceland, Spain and Sweden. A few weeks ago I thought NWH wouldn't beat AEG in any country except KSA and finally it did in over 26 other countries, what an incredible run !

Edited by LPLC
  • Like 5

DOM : $780M-$790M

United Kingdom : $128M

France : $65M

Germany : $51M

Spain : $31M

Italy : $28M

KSA : $17M

UAE : $12M

Sweden : $11,5M

Belgium : $10M

Norway : $9M

Switzerland : $9M

Denmark : $9M

Poland : $9M

Ukraine : $8,5M

Austria : $8M

South Africa : $5,5M

Turkey : $5,5M   

Czech Republic : $4,5M   

Egypt : 4,5M

Portugal : $4M

Greece : $3,5M  

Hungary : $3,5M 

Romania : $3M

Finland : $3M 

Nigeria : $2M

Slovakia : $1,5M

Croatia : $1,5M

Bulgaria : $1M

Serbia : $1M

Lithuania : $1M

Iceland : $0,5M

Slovenia : $0,5M

Total EMEA : $452M

Mexico : $76M

Brazil : $56M

Argentina : $19M

Chile : $11M

Colombia : $11M

Bolivia : $4,5M

Venezuela : $1,5M

Paraguay : $1M

Uruguay : $1M

Total Latin America : $181M

South Korea : $64M

Australia : $58M

Russia/CIS : $47M

Japan : $38M

India : $36M

Indonesia : $26M

Taiwan : $18M

Hong Kong : $16M

Thailand : $15M

Malaysia : $15M

Singapore : $10M

New Zealand : $7,5M

Vietnam : $4,5M

Total APAC : $355M

Netherlands + Philippines = $25M-$35M

Rest : $50M-$55M

Total : $1843M-$1868M

$1.8B locked, now let's see (even if it seems difficult) if NWH can achieve its last two objectives :

- Titanic 1st run ($1843M)

- and $1.850B

The result is truly incredible, it could have become the 3rd biggest movie of all time if there had been China but even without it, its run will remain one of the most impressive in the world box office ...

Edited by LPLC
  • Like 5

On 1/31/2022 at 5:54 PM, grey ghost said:

Wow. I wonder why the Middle East loved this movie so much?

The Box Office/Movie market in the Middle East has always been very small compared to the rest of the world and just recently have SA and UAE started to flourish. I only know 1 thing and that is, Sam Raimi/Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies have always been famous here more than the MCU itself. MCU Spider-Man movies and/or TASM might have grossed more before the release of NWH (I haven't checked TASM) but in the Middle East Tobey Maguire has always been THE Spider-Man for many people. To this day, If you go to the kids markets/sections in stores where I live, the Spider-Man Merch is not from the MCU but Tobey Maguire. I mentioned in the Middle East thread before NWH released that I think it would do great here. And I was correct. Now I'm not contributing the success of NWH in the ME solely on the return of his Spider-Man, but it definitely played the biggest part of the movie's success. 

Edited by Momori
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, LPLC said:

I think we can expect $1,035B final OS without Philippines and Netherlands

Maybe $1,06B-$1,07B final OS run without China

#8 best OS grosser

#4 best OS grosser without China

$765M-$775M in DOM

#3 best DOM grosser

$1825M-$1845M WW

#6 best WW grosser 

#5 best WW grosser without China 

240M admissions in the world 

#8 most viewed movie in theaters

NWH surpass or will surpass AEG (and become biggest MCU grosser and highest-grossing superhero movie of all time) in

EMEA : Belgium / Croatia / Egypt / France / Iraq / Israel / Jordan / Kuwait / Lebanon / Lithuania / Nigeria / Norway / Oman / Saudi Arabia / Serbia / Switzerland / Syria / Turkey (in lc) / Ukraine / UK = 21 countries

LA :  Argentina / Bolivia / Mexico (in lc) / Venezuela = 4 countries 

#2 biggest grosser and most viewed in LA 

APAC : Mongolia / Russia  = 2 country 

NWH has therefore overtaken AEG in 27 countries and can still be added to the list (maybe) Australia, Austria ?, Iceland, Spain and Sweden. A few weeks ago I thought NWH wouldn't beat AEG in any country except KSA and finally it did in over 26 other countries, what an incredible run !

Damn I can't stand seeing Europe and Middle East randomly put together, I know you are doing it only because in BoxOfficeMojo it is like that but it's still weird 😅

Anyway, if the countries in which it has beaten Endgame are 27 (and maybe 30 at the end of its run), in how many have it passed both Endgame and Joker?