Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

• Founder / Operator
14 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

TOP PRE-SALES 2022

1. Madness Of Multiverse - $105M+

2. WAKANDA FOREVER ~ $85M

3. Love &Thunder - $70M

4. The Batman - $58M

5. Top Gun: Maverick - $51M

Just curious, what's the source on this? Disney and exhibitors give very different figures.

Wakanda: $66M

Multiverse: $85M

L&T: $48M

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Just curious, what's the source on this? Disney and exhibitors give very different figures.

Wakanda: $66M

Multiverse: $85M

L&T: $48M

32 minutes ago, K'uk'ulkan XXR said:

Hence my title, please allow me to apologize profusely for the pain that Porthos has caused. We will have a closed door discussion about this :father:

45 seconds into the "closed door discussion":

ANH-Vader-lack-of-faith-disturbing.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Shawn said:

These may include sales after shows started in some markets... need @charlie Jatinder to confirm?

Yeah its basically till THU midnight/before Friday starts.

Before starting US presales calculation in 2019, used to have same criteria in China and other markets where we track pre-sales, so continued same in USA.

Disney is only studio reporting pre-sales right now ans they are reporting number till shows start on THU.

I prefer the first one.

• Like 1

(Sacto did run a little hot for whatever reason, mind, but could be that Sacto's famous diversity demos actually did it a tiny bit of a disservice)

((and/or the Double Feature + More Group Sales locally than nationwide))

(((really, just one of those things — 0.7 off of 28m isn't something I'm personally gonna sweat)))

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

(Sacto did run a little hot for whatever reason, mind, but could be that Sacto's famous diversity demos actually did it a bit of a disservice)

((and/or the Double Feature + More Group Sales locally than nationwide))

(((really, just one of those things)))

Drop the charade... Its dark magic.

On serious note, bigger urban centers did overindex, though eventually things come out normalish as usual in Sacramento 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

These may include sales after shows started in some markets... need @charlie Jatinder to confirm?

I am sure @charlie Jatinder extrapolated that number from our tracking. There is no way he can know more than studio themselves unless studio is under reporting them. Also some of the presales are for shows beyond the weekend as well. Prime time Imax/PLF sell well outside OW. 

• Founder / Operator
14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am sure @charlie Jatinder extrapolated that number from our tracking. There is no way he can know more than studio themselves unless studio is under reporting them. Also some of the presales are for shows beyond the weekend as well. Prime time Imax/PLF sell well outside OW. 

Yeah, that's one reason I was curious about how long those sales were being counted for past showtime start. The studio numbers also include all presale days and formats and are verified by the top 20 exhibitors and ticket outlets.

Just a friendly FYI to all when comparing those to anything a studio or Deadline/other trade says about advance sales for future extrapolations. Those seem to be pure presales rather than including walkups (unless I find out otherwise).

• Like 2

*walking into the thread* Hey everyone how are the numb...

"Its Magic!"

"Its Porthos fault!"

"Black Magic!"

"Theres funny business afoot!" 

"slowly walks backwards out the door Homer Simpson style trying to be very quiet"

I don't know what I just walked into-do I want to know??:thinking:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tinalera said:

*walking into the thread* Hey everyone how are the numb...

"Its Magic!"

"Its Porthos fault!"

"Black Magic!"

"Theres funny business afoot!" 

"slowly walks backwards out the door Homer Simpson style trying to be very quiet"

I don't know what I just walked into-do I want to know??:thinking:

Working titles for the next 4 Avengers movies after Secret Wars, scheduled for 2027, 2028,2029,2030.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Working titles for the next 4 Avengers movies after Secret Wars, scheduled for 2027, 2028,2029,2030.

Somewhere a Disney/Marvel exec is saying "Write those down! Write those down!!"

AHEM....getting BACK to the thread (sorry for the slight derailment)

Have to admit this particular film has been really interesting to see how the Box Office was going to play out, will be interesting to see the final numbers for the weekend.