Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

Spider-Verse audience on the opening weekend were 67% non-families and more than half over 25 it's not 100% like a MCU sequel but it's still far from being like any animation movie even as for the live-action remakes The Lion King still had more familes and The Incredibles 2 got 66% under 25 by the end of the opening weekend. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Spider-Verse will be slightly frontloaded, it looks amazing and I'm looking forward to it but I do wonder if it'll act more like a superhero sequel than an animated sequel. 

I'm bullish on Elemental and I think the Cannes reviews should help it in terms of raising awareness to audiences. 

Spider-Verse is going to do well for itself, but not be a HUGE increase from 1.

Long shot, but I won't be surprised if that runtime puts off some families who want something breezier and easier to watch, which could potentially help Elemental. 

Yes, The Flash will open big, but if Inside Out could do well opening close to Jursssic World, I don't see why we can't see something similar here.

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Spider-Verse will be slightly frontloaded, it looks amazing and I'm looking forward to it but I do wonder if it'll act more like a superhero sequel than an animated sequel. 

I'm bullish on Elemental and I think the Cannes reviews should help it in terms of raising awareness to audiences. 

I mean so of terms of OW. There’s only so much family dollars to go around especially with inflation and ticket prices. Considering both are very likely based on tracking tickets and solid media, a 100m+ OW. If families decide to see Across and Mermaid, they may not have much to see Elemental especially with the assurance of it being on the Plus three months later. Elemental will benefit from being small kid friendly and the summer camp movie but to get to hit numbers like 150m-200m+, it needs a 45-50m OW.

Edited by YM!

On 5/7/2023 at 5:53 AM, I Am Eric said:

The Little Mermaid Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-19 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 153 1040 28586 3.64%

Total Seats Sold Today: 48

Comp - T-19

2.593x of Sonic 2 (16.21M)

0.721x of Jurassic World: Dominion (12.98M)

0.708x of Avatar 2 (12.03M)

0.821x of Mario (26.02M)

The Little Mermaid Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-18 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 153 1063 28586 3.72%

Total Seats Sold Today: 23

Comp - T-18

2.612x of Sonic 2 (16.32M)

0.719x of Jurassic World: Dominion (12.95M)

0.688x of Avatar 2 (11.7M)

0.783x of Mario (24.81M)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Moderation

I also wanted to say that I think the whole "Disney+ killed Pixar" stuff feels both very off-topic and very "been there, done that". I feel we've had this converstaion countless times, and I don't think it needs to be regurgitated again, especially in a thread it doesn't belong in. At the very least, if you want to continue the conversation, take it to the Disney and/or Elemental thread.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, JWR said:

Long shot, but I won't be surprised if that runtime puts off some families who want something breezier and easier to watch, which could potentially help Elemental. 

Yes, The Flash will open big, but if Inside Out could do well opening close to Jursssic World, I don't see why we can't see something similar here.

136 minutes is long for an animated movie, don't think it'll affect Spider-Verse's OW but it does limit the number of show times later in the run.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Honestly, the fact that Spider-Verse is SPA's first theatrical animated film since Angry Birds 2 speaks volume on Sony's confidence in their animated studio. 

I never really believed the whole Disney+ is hurting WDAS and Pixar which seems to be popular on here for some reason.  

People do not know which brand these cartoons fall under. I guarantee there are more people that assume movies like Minions are Disney's than there are people that know what Illumination is.

The Disney+ excuse is just so incredibly silly to me. I don't know why it continues to hold so much weight here.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Spiderverse has nothing to do with animation. Its literally the best spider-man movie. Will act like a live action.

Plus Miles Morales is a lottttt more popular now than he was back in 2018 (PS5 game + ITSV is regarded as one of the best movies ever made) 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

Mario and Spiderverse doing so well will really drive home how badly Pixar damaged its brand with their D+ strategy. 

Disney damaged Pixar’s brand; don’t pretend it was my precious baby Pixar’s decision

• Like 1

I am wondering if Mermaid is going to hurt Spiderverse? Two movies heavily targeting the ethnic minority family demographics back to back was maybe not a good idea in hindsight. The one good thing though is if Mermaid skews heavily female and Spidey skews heavily male, then they may not have to share so much. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, I Am Eric said:

Moderation

I also wanted to say that I think the whole "Disney+ killed Pixar" stuff feels both very off-topic and very "been there, done that". I feel we've had this converstaion countless times, and I don't think it needs to be regurgitated again, especially in a thread it doesn't belong in. At the very least, if you want to continue the conversation, take it to the Disney and/or Elemental thread.

Oh sorry lol my b I don’t post enough anymore 

14 minutes ago, JWR said:

Then you have Transformers and Indy.

June is gonna be an absolute bloodbath.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Then you have Transformers and Indy.

June is gonna be an absolute bloodbath.

Transformers is the one I'm unsure of.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JWR said:

Transformers is the one I'm unsure of.

Transformers is the one surefire underperformer of the main blockbusters (I’d count Gillman but that wasn’t making as much waves as the big five). 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I am wondering if Mermaid is going to hurt Spiderverse? Two movies heavily targeting the ethnic minority family demographics back to back was maybe not a good idea in hindsight. The one good thing though is if Mermaid skews heavily female and Spidey skews heavily male, then they may not have to share so much. 

Mermaid and Spider-Verse have nothing in common in terms of audiences. They can and will easily co-exist.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean just because a lead character is played by an ethnic minority doesn't necessarily mean the makers are heavily targetting that ethnic minority community

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Mermaid and Spider-Verse have nothing in common in terms of audiences. They can and will easily co-exist.

There's some overlap.

There are plenty of girls/women interested in both.