Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

13 minutes ago, screambaby said:

Makes for a more entertaining weekend

I think it opening to $50+ mil would be far more entertaining. In fact, I'd say if it opens less than $20 mil, that would be increasingly sad for the movie industry.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I think it opening to $50+ mil would be far more entertaining. In fact, I'd say if it opens less than $20 mil, that would be increasingly sad for the movie industry.

It would be increasingly sad for the comic book movie industry

But I haven't really cared  about that since batman 89

Your also not gonna get a 50 mill OW 

For a movie you aren't marketing.

Edited by screambaby

For context...

John Wick 4 has sold more tickets for its Thursday night 6:45 showing at ONE THEATER that I track than Shazam has sold for the entire weekend at that theater... plus 2 more theaters I track, COMBINED.

This shit is hilarious y'all. Wick coming for that 70M+, and I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if Shazam ends up around 17-18M. 

(btw, I keep refreshing both theaters I used to work at. Still at ZERO. Will update if that ever changes)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

For context...

John Wick 4 has sold more tickets for its Thursday night 6:45 showing at ONE THEATER that I track than Shazam has sold for the entire weekend at that theater... plus 2 more theaters I track, COMBINED.

This shit is hilarious y'all. Wick coming for that 70M+, and I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if Shazam ends up around 17-18M. 

(btw, I keep refreshing both theaters I used to work at. Still at ZERO. Will update if that ever changes)

Coming around to my way about scream beating Shazam this weekend?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I mean, march has had 2 films do great in Creed and Scream and Wick seems poised to do the same, so Shazam doing badly isn't really on the industry

It is definitely a shame to see Shazam do poorly and ruin a streak of very good weekends at the box office, but at the same time there's always something entertaining about witnessing trainwrecks and bombas

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Just very weird to see a bunch of people who love movies and box office cheer at the fact a movie is doing poorly. 

It would be nice for the box office to be spread about to something other than CBM. Scream, Creed, and the upcoming John Wick and perhaps even D&D over performing is a great thing. DCU will bounce back with the Flash and with there new reboots. Just Shazam paying the price for the reboot and WB having no money (or idea) for marketing. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Just very weird to see a bunch of people who love movies and box office cheer at the fact a movie is doing poorly. 

Honestly kind of hurts to see this fail because I really like David F. Sandberg and he is clearly a passionate filmmaker. I never root for most movies to fail unless it's a Dinesh D'Souza movie or some shit.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

DCEU ranking:

1. The Suicide Squad

2. Birds of Prey

3. Snyder Cut

4. Wonder Woman

5. Aquaman

6. Shazam

7. WW84

8. Suicide Squad

9. BVS

10. Man of Steel

11. Black Adam

12. Justice League

It's not totally surprising S2 is lining up to be a flop. The first was sandwiched between two major MCU releases and hasn't grown in esteem since. No cultural relevance. No new hook/concept to offer. The DC brand further diminishes itself. 

5 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

Please post more Honor Among Thieves stats. Dead people know Shazam is dead at this point.

I do know that (for a long time anyway) people were rationalizing the late embargo end as "normal for superhero movies" but Shazam 2 feels like it ends right before release. Is this just my mind playing tricks on me? If they had wanted to build buzz they should have done what D&D did.

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: AMAZON PRIME EARLY SHOWINGS ORLANDO 

SHOWINGS

TOTAL SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

30.8%

Each theater chain seems to be allocating only 1 showing for the Sunday preview. All showings start at 2PM. Tickets still not live for Wednesday the 22nd on ATOM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I don't think most people here are exactly happy about it, it's just that it's so unbelievably bad that is kinda funny. I speak for myself that I would prefer to Shazam 2 to be a smash hit because it's good for the box office in general and because I am a DC fan, but I think it's almost hilarious that it's doing so bad. 

• Like 12

I don't think Shazam 2 will hurt DC as a brand unless the movie is utter garbage. The DCEU is dead already and it's all going to depend on how Gunn develops the new universe. If The Flash is a banger and sets up the new DC universe in a very positive way than nobody will care about a Shazam movie that was ok and bombed.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I think it has more to do with the fact that a lot of people want to see a big decline of superhero movies in general and Shazam doing so poorly contributes to that.