EmpireCity

New Year Weekend Thread (31 Dec - 2 Jan)

21 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Nothing has been dumber in the streaming wars than Paramount stumbling onto the biggest show on television, a Game of Thrones level mega-hit, and not being able to release it on its own streamer.

I always have a big laugh every time I think about it. Paramount is always doing some really dumb decisions.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eric Smith said:

No joke, every time I see the "Yellowstone" title, my mind thinks it's some gritty Yogi Bear reboot or something (yes I know it doesn't take place in Yellowstone, hush)

• Haha 1

there was some recent article i think on AV Club that was like "Yellowstone is the biggest show on television and no one in the media is talking about it! This must really piss Taylor Sheridan off!" and i was thinking uh, no having a huge hit that's basically free from think pieces and twitter discourse sounds like a dream for any creator right now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My Licorice Pizza matinee was pretty full yesterday so that was nice. Not close to my favorite PTA (it's very meandering) but enjoyed it quite a bit. 

BTW I know I'm not breaking any ground but holy hell, the Boxoffice subreddit is truly awful. The comments over there make me appreciate this place in a whole new way.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Matrix is gonna finish with a smaller total than fellow Keanu Christmas bomb 47 Ronin. Who could've predicted that even a couple of weeks ago?

Probably WB in private, once they saw the 1st version of the movie...

There's a reason they left this in the 2021 day and date deal from the get go...they knew they didn't have something with it...

Although many of us doubted it would make any real box office for months before it opened - just go back and read all the threads...many posters (not just me) said everything should have moved except Spidey and Sing 2 as the alt Spidey option b/c it was gonna be a TFA redux, but in Covid times...and that was without knowing the Matrix's quality and reception...

Now, maybe we didn't see it THIS low, but we saw theatrical financial bomb...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Probably WB in private, once they saw the 1st version of the movie...

There's a reason they left this in the 2021 day and date deal from the get go...they knew they didn't have something with it...

Although many of us doubted it would make any real box office for months before it opened - just go back and read all the threads...many posters (not just me) said everything should have moved except Spidey and Sing 2 as the alt Spidey option b/c it was gonna be a TFA redux, but in Covid times...and that was without knowing the Matrix's quality and reception...

Now, maybe we didn't see it THIS low, but we saw theatrical financial bomb...

Obviously it wouldn't have gone this low in its original theatrical only May 2021 date from pre-COVID, but rejection on this level usually only happens when there's clearly a strong amount of audience apathy involved (whether it's to the revival of this IP or to the movie itself). It's gonna end up making less than Tom & Jerry and Mortal Kombat among the HBO Max movies - how else could this have been possible?

• Like 1