EmpireCity

New Year Weekend Thread (31 Dec - 2 Jan)

13 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Still amazes me Disney threw away getting over $100 million for Encanto. 

Putting it on Disney+ today, rather than Xmas Eve, would have made way more sense in my eyes. All those sweet Xmas weekdays, wasted. 

On the plus side it was probably the most watched movie from home during Christmas

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Putting it on Disney+ today, rather than Xmas Eve, would have made way more sense in my eyes. All those sweet Xmas weekdays, wasted. 

Disney will burn itself this decade like WB did after a great 2000s. Too many dumb decisions and bad receptions.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

They've already made it clear that they're experimenting as long as families aren't returning in full force like they used to. I'll be rather surprised if they don't make a similar announcement for Turning Red in the next couple of weeks (so far Death on the Nile and Doctor Strange 2 are the only movies this year they've given firm "In Theaters Only" commitments, while the marketing campaigns for Turning Red and Lightyear have only been vague "March" and "June/Summer" dates), especially when the new movie arrivals are about to dry up (Encanto is now on there, Eternals will be on there later this month, Free Guy lands in February, they're likely holding West Side Story until after the Oscars, all their D+ originals like Hocus Pocus 2, Pinocchio, Disenchanted, etc. aren't arriving until later this year).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Disney will burn itself this decade like WB did after a great 2000s. Too many dumb decisions and bad receptions.

WB didn’t have Feige to save them. But if they can’t find a new Iger they may have a problem.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They've already made it clear that they're experimenting as long as families aren't returning in full force like they used to. I'll be rather surprised if they don't make a similar announcement for Turning Red in the next couple of weeks (so far Death on the Nile and Doctor Strange 2 are the only movies this year they've given firm "In Theaters Only" commitments, while the marketing campaigns for Turning Red and Lightyear have only been vague "March" and "June/Summer" dates), especially when the new movie arrivals are about to dry up (Encanto is now on there, Eternals will be on there later this month, Free Guy lands in February, they're likely holding West Side Story until after the Oscars, all their D+ originals like Hocus Pocus 2, Pinocchio, Disenchanted, etc. aren't arriving until later this year).

how many families didn’t go and see it over Xmas because they knew they were getting it for free FOR XMAS. 

That’s my biggest issue with it. 

I don’t buy that anybody at this point who isn’t already a subscriber has subscribed for Encanto. They are throwing money away.  Number of viewers on a service people are already subbed to doesn’t mean anything. 

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

how many families didn’t go and see it over Xmas because they knew they were getting it for free FOR XMAS. 

That’s my biggest issue with it. 

I don’t buy that anybody at this point who isn’t already a subscriber has subscribed for Encanto. They are throwing money away.  Number of viewers on a service people are already subbed to doesn’t mean anything. 

I mean, before Sing 2 came along it was still the biggest family movie of the pandemic era. Given how slow the family audience (and, well, the audience for anything that isn't a comic book tentpole or a low-budget horror movie) has been to return to theaters, it reached new heights.

I was just looking the other day at the top movies of the year compared to years of the past and it really became obvious that the two aforementioned genres are the only ones that have seen a comeback. The 40th biggest movie of 2019 (the last year before everything fell apart) made $73M. The 40th biggest movie of 2021? Sitting at $27M. Long way to go until the marketplace fully recovers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1