EmpireCity

New Year Weekend Thread (31 Dec - 2 Jan)

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

The show itself is miles better than GOT too.

3 hours ago, Product Driven Legion said:

Low bar 👀

If were talking about Seasons 5-8 (and especially 7 and 8): yes, absolutely, 100% agree.

Seasons 1-4: No.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

there was some recent article i think on AV Club that was like "Yellowstone is the biggest show on television and no one in the media is talking about it! This must really piss Taylor Sheridan off!" and i was thinking uh, no having a huge hit that's basically free from think pieces and twitter discourse sounds like a dream for any creator right now.

The show likely is a hit as does not appeal only to NYC/LA Twitter crowd.

Cobra kai is similar I find. Shows that don't get that much hype from that crowd but very popular with avg people.

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Obviously it wouldn't have gone this low in its original theatrical only May 2021 date from pre-COVID, but rejection on this level usually only happens when there's clearly a strong amount of audience apathy involved (whether it's to the revival of this IP or to the movie itself). It's gonna end up making less than Tom & Jerry and Mortal Kombat among the HBO Max movies - how else could this have been possible?

Go watch Matrix Revolutions sometime and you'll see where that apathy comes from. It happened to Terminator Dark Fate and The Suicide Squad too.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

The show likely is a hit as does not appeal only to NYC/LA Twitter crowd.

Cobra kai is similar I find. Shows that don't get that much hype from that crowd but very popular with avg people.

This is true. NYC/LA Twitter crowd wants to make it look like only certain types of shows are popular. So they overtrend them on social media while in reality most people watch something entirely different. Cobra Kai is a great example. It's a super popular show that doesn't get nearly as much media and certain social media hype because it doesn't check the boxes of "what we think people should watch but they don't dammit". It's similar to, for example, low-rated shows such as Batgirl (or is it Batwoman?) always trending for their new lower and lower rated episodes because certain crowd wants to create an illusion of popularity. But that doesn't change the fact they are not watched likely not even by the crowd that tries to prop them. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

This is true. NYC/LA Twitter crowd wants to make it look like only certain types of shows are popular. So they overtrend them on social media while in reality most people watch something entirely different. Cobra Kai is a great example. It's a super popular show that doesn't get nearly as much media and certain social media hype because it doesn't check the boxes of "what we think people should watch but they don't dammit". It's similar to, for example, low-rated shows such as Batgirl (or is it Batwoman?) always trending for their new lower and lower rated episodes because certain crowd wants to create an illusion of popularity. But that doesn't change the fact they are not watched likely not even by the crowd that tries to prop them. 

On the other side of the coin, don’t those type of shows (Batwoman, CW stuff) lose out on normal Neilsen ratings because the majority of their audience don’t watch it on a television? Therefore their viewership isn’t accounted for. 

That explains why they’re constantly renewed. 

I’m still amazed West Side Story hasn’t even hit $30m or a 3x multiplier yet. 

When it opened I thought it could have done 5x it’s opening with the holidays lol. Such a shame, what a great film but literally no one cares. In any country. 

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

On the other side of the coin, don’t those type of shows (Batwoman, CW stuff) lose out on normal Neilsen ratings because the majority of their audience don’t watch it on a television? Therefore their viewership isn’t accounted for. 

That explains why they’re constantly renewed. 

they aren't even watched on other platforms. I don't have links with me but I've seen numbers and they aren't popular anywhere. I guess it's more CW pride or they have to renew them to keep the IP or something. 

13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’m still amazed West Side Story hasn’t even hit $30m or a 3x multiplier yet. 

When it opened I thought it could have done 5x it’s opening with the holidays lol. Such a shame, what a great film but literally no one cares. In any country. 

It got shoved to puny theaters in its second weekend for obvious reasons and was never able to fully recover. With an Oscar bump the next few months it's likely headed for $40-45M, but given how close to anything that isn't a comic book tentpole or low-budget horror hasn't come close to living up to their potential in the COVID era, not that bad. It's still gonna finish among the top 35 movies of 2021, even if that speaks more to the lack of depth in the marketplace still than anything else.

In addition to the strong performance compared to last week, I would imagine further good news for Ghostbusters is that there’s several movies now ahead of it for screen cutting.

Jordan, Encanto and Nightmare Alley will get gutted before Ghostbusters does, possibly WSS as well, GBA might have bought itself a couple more weeks in theatres.

3 minutes ago, Felandria said:

In addition to the strong performance compared to last week, I would imagine further good news for Ghostbusters is that there’s several movies now ahead of it for screen cutting.

Jordan, Encanto and Nightmare Alley will get gutted before Ghostbusters does, possibly WSS as well, GBA might have bought itself a couple more weeks in theatres.

The fact there's so few movies coming out this month (with February not looking to be much better in terms of quantity) means that theater drops are probably going to be relatively light for a while. Expect Spider-Man and Sing to still be in the top 10 on Super Bowl weekend. Who knows, maybe Matrix will be lucky to late leg it out to $40M because of it lol.