My predictions

BEST CAST

Belfast

CODA

Don't Look Up

The Harder They Fall

King Richard

BEST ACTRESS

Jessica Chastain (The Eyes of Tammy Faye)

Olivia Colman (The Lost Daughter)

Lady Gaga (House of Gucci)

Nicole Kidman (Being the Ricardos)

Kristen Stewart (Spencer)

BEST ACTOR

Benedict Cumberbatch (The Power of the Dog)

Leonardo DiCaprio (Don't Look Up)

Andrew Garfield (Tick...tick...Boom!)

Will Smith (King Richard)

Denzel Washington (The Tragedy of Macbeth)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Catriona Balfe (Belfast)

Ariana DeBose (West Side Story)

Kirsten Dunst (The Power of the Dog)

Aunjanue Ellis (King Richard)

Marlee Maitlin (CODA)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Jamie Dornan (Belfast)

Ciaran Hinds (Belfast)

Troy Kotsur (CODA)

J.K. Simmons (Being the Ricardos)

Kodi Smitt-McPhee (The Power of the Dog)

BEST STUNT ENSEMBLE

Black Widow

Dune

The Last Duel

No Time to Die

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

I watched The Tender Bar over the weekend and can totally see Affleck being this year's surprise Golden Globe/SAG nominee who ends up snubbed on Oscar morning (especially when he was also in serious conversation for The Way Back last year). The movie itself is nothing special, but he easily gives one of his best performances in it.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

PREDICTIONS

ENSEMBLE:

Belfast

Coda

Don't Look Up

King Richard

The Power of the Dog

ALT: Being the Ricardos. West Side Story.

Don't buy Harder They Fall. It would be a lone nomination for a film that isn't Globe nom or PGA nom (Crazy Rich Asians, etc). West Side Story cast is a lot of unknowns and no major A-list star. It's also a December release that flopped and had late screeners sent. Power of Dog isn't typical ensemble nominee but if it's a legit contender, it should make it. Watch out for Tick Tick Boom.

ACTRESS:

Jessica Chastain, Tammy Faye

Lady Gaga, House of Gucci

Jennifer Hudson, Respect

Nicole Kidman, Being the Ricardos

Kristen Stewart, Spencer

Last spot is tough. Colman makes most sense but that's a later release and screener that might be a struggle for a broad voting group. Haim is also in the mix but might be too subtle/"weird" for SAG. Zegler possible but she hasn't shown up much outside of NBR and Globe and that screener is late. Hudson can surprise but Respect came and went. 

ACTOR:

Benedict Cumberbatch, Power of the Dog

Leonardo DiCaprio, Don't Look Up

Andrew Garfield, Tick Tick Boom

Will Smith, King Richard

Denzel Washington, Macbeth

ALT: Peter Dinklage, Cyrano

Maybe Nic Cage can surprise but these 6 names are it. Macbeth has little buzz but Denzel is a namecheck legend. Leo should benefit from having a showy clip in a big seen film.

SUPPORTING ACTOR:

Jamie Dornan, Belfast

Ciaran Hinds, Belfast

Troy Kotsur, Coda

Jared Leto, House of Gucci

Kodi Smit-McPhee, Power of the Dog

ALT: JK Simmons, Being the Ricardos. Jason Isaacs, Mass

Bradley Cooper is too much of a cameo for SAG. Nobody else, really. Tender Bar is too underseen. Rylance for Don't Look Up is a possibility. Robin DeJesus in the mix.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS:

Caitriona Balfe, Belfast

Ariana DeBose, West Side Story

Ann Dowd, Mass

Kirsten Dunst, Power of the Dog

Aunjanue Ellis, King Richard

ALT: Blanchett/Streep, Don't Look Up

Moreno is probably too limited a role for SAG voters. Ditto Dench. Passing isn't a SAG type of film so no Negga. Matlin has shown up nowhere so far so I doubt this is the place

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

SAG nominations drop tomorrow but a member of West Side Story's cast already congratulated Mike Faist...

Wishful thinking? Are the nominees told in advance? I think SAG nominations have leaked early before...

Possibly he just wrote a message in advance to be prepared just in case Faist is nommed. And then he published it by mistake

Anyways, if it is really a leak, it bodes really well for deBose, Zegler and WSS Cast.

Nominees:

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role

Caitriona Balfe (Belfast)

Cate Blanchett (Nightmare Alley)

Ariana DeBose (West Side Story)

Kirsten Dunst (The Power of the Dog)

Ruth Negga (Passing)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
Ben Affleck (The Tender Bar)
Bradley Cooper (Licorice Pizza)
Troy Kotsur (CODA)
Jared Leto (House of Gucci)
Kodi Smit-McPhee (The Power of the Dog)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
Jessica Chastain (The Eyes of Tammy Faye)
Olivia Colman (The Lost Daughter)
Lady Gaga (House of Gucci)
Jennifer Hudson (Respect)
Nicole Kidman (Being the Ricardos)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
Javier Bardem (Being the Ricardos)
Benedict Cumberbatch (The Power of the Dog)
Andrew Garfield (Tick, Tick … Boom!)
Will Smith (King Richard)
Denzel Washington (The Tragedy of Macbeth)

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
Belfast
CODA
Don’t Look Up
House of Gucci
King Richard

Edited by filmlover

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

These are wild. No Stewart. No Dornan. Blanchett in Nightmare Alley. Bardem. Affleck!

By snubbing the Belfast supporting actors, SAG single handedly increased the star power for the awards. Affleck, Leto and Cooper getting in thanks to that.

Kristen Stewart missing is the big one for sure, that kind of stops her momentum fully. Felt like no one was strongly onboard with that performance as I mentioned previously.

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

By snubbing the Belfast supporting actors, SAG single handedly increased the star power for the awards. Affleck, Leto and Cooper getting in thanks to that.

Kristen Stewart missing is the big one for sure, that kind of stops her momentum fully. Felt like no one was strongly onboard with that performance as I mentioned previously.

These are so crazy. Jennifer Hudson's chances for a nomination are still alive! Also, between his nomination for The Little Things last year and now House of Gucci this year it's safe to say Leto has plenty of clout in the industry no matter much the Internet makes fun of him lol.

Also Don't Look Up getting in just for having so many stars in it lmao.

At this point I wouldn't rule out Olivia Colman winning BAFTA (if nominated) and ultimately winning the Oscar again. As Christoph Waltz and Mahershala Ali have recently proved, being a recent winner doesn't exempt you from picking up another trophy so soon.

Edited by filmlover

Just now, filmlover said:

These are so crazy. Jennifer Hudson's chances for a nomination are still alive! Also, between his nomination for The Little Things last year and now House of Gucci this year it's safe to say Leto has plenty of clout in the industry no matter much the Internet makes fun of him lol.

Also Don't Look Up getting just for having so many stars in it lmao.

At this point I wouldn't rule out Olivia Colman winning BAFTA (if nominated) and ultimately winning the Oscar again. As Christoph Waltz and Mahershala Ali have recently proved, being a recent winner doesn't exempt you from picking up another trophy so soon.

I can definitely see Colman winning. There's just no heat for any of the performances this year calling them undeniable. Will likely just need a plurality of support in the end. No one will be saying "This other performance should have won" regardless of the winner because everyone just seems to be like "whatever" about all the lead actress ones.

CRAZY!
No Stewart. No Aujane Ellis. Both were perceived as locks!

Weird to see Bardem as Best Leading Actor over DiCaprio in a Best Ensemble nommed film, over Dinklage or over Nicolas Cage.
Weird to see House of Gucci's love.

Stewart probably won't even be Oscar nominated. Spencer performed very badly on the BAFTA longlist this morning 

SAG winner predictions:

ENSEMBLE: Coda

ACTOR: Smith

ACTRESS: Gaga. Kidman is SAG royalty but that Ensemble nom for Gucci is huge

SUPPORTING ACTOR: Kodi

SUPPORTING ACTRESS: DeBose

• Like 1

I was a hater of Stewart when her casting was announced. After seeing the movie, she did such a great performance that i was rooting for her OScar win. It's wild that the Oscars will give a second OScar to Kidman than reward Stweart. It reminds me of when Cruise lost for Magnolia. They gave a second Oscar to Michael Caine instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

If Stewart also misses at BAFTA she's definitely done. Actor could actually end up being the nominated five (Don't Look Up is too much of an ensemble for Leo or any individual actor to stand out and if Dinklage in that no1curr movie didn't happen here...).

Bardem still is a very iffy possibility, IMHO. Usually there are changes between SAG and AMPAS. Also, AMPAS might want to recognize Don't Look Up cast through DiCaprio.

1 minute ago, stripe said:

Bardem still is a very iffy possibility, IMHO. Usually there are changes between SAG and AMPAS. Also, AMPAS might want to recognize Don't Look Up cast through DiCaprio.

Watch neither of them get in and Adam Driver ends up the shock nominee this year following House of Gucci's overperformance today lol (it stands a legit shot at winning Ensemble at the moment which is crazy).

Either way, we end up with a Best Actor line-up full of previous nominees/winners.

it's funny i haven't been following the awards super closely this year and i keep seeing "these are crazy!!" reacts to these noms and then i look and it's... the same films people have been talking about just arranged in a slightly different way than the last awards show. you'd think the rock and ryan reynolds got nods for red notice or something.

• Like 1