filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

I imagine a lot of people in the industries feel uncomfortable to say to people that they were not good for the roles or that they do not like them for any reason and will try to give reasons that are fully external to them to announce them instead of saying what was wrong or inferior about them versus the picked candidate (Ben Affleck called it, saying to a guy is penis is too big for the part).

That reply make no sense at all to me:

Matlin told a story about an initially promising discussion she had with Jane Campion about playing the lead role of Ada — a nonverbal character — in 1993’s The Piano. Her recollection was that the writer-director said that she was great for the part, but that audiences would be distracted by a known Deaf actor. “And people believe that Al Pacino is really blind in Scent of a Woman?” Matlin said she replied. (Campion did not immediately respond to a request for comment.)

2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

As I said, none of this usually matters because its just online noise from Twitter bloggers with no actual impact on reality. Industry voters are so divorced from the climate. But when you have ACTUAL industry people and peers speaking out against you, and not some Indiewire writer...

Power of the Dog about to go 0-for-12...

That Marlee Matlin article is from 2016, but if people go digging for other "problematic" incidents from Campion (and they will) or ask Matlin for comment, this week... It's much better to get all controversies out the way early on so it's old news by the time voting starts.

42 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Power of the Dog about to go 0-for-12...

That Marlee Matlin article is from 2016, but if people go digging for other "problematic" incidents from Campion (and they will) or ask Matlin for comment, this week... It's much better to get all controversies out the way early on so it's old news by the time voting starts.

I still think she wins Director. She has everything, it would be an insane upset. The alternatives are lacking. But she was the face of the film and reason it was a contender. She tarnished that aspect bit and lost some rooting factor. Will probably bode well for CODA which has the likable diversity angle and won SAG. 

• Like 1

I'd like to believe after Green Book won Best Picture despite all the mudslinging aimed at it that whole season, smear campaigns don't mean much anymore.

But that was also a year where its closest competition was black-and-white foreign language streaming movie, and we might not want to discount the possibility the AMPAS is eager to reward a movie that was actually fully intended for theaters as the industry continues to recover. I'm pretty sure West Side Story had the longest theatrical exclusive run out of everything? lol if that ends up resulting in a surprise Best Picture win.

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'd like to believe after Green Book won Best Picture despite all the mudslinging aimed at it that whole season, smear campaigns don't mean much anymore.

But that was also a year where its closest competition was black-and-white foreign language streaming movie, and we might not want to discount the possibility the AMPAS is eager to reward a movie that was actually fully intended for theaters as the industry continues to recover. I'm pretty sure West Side Story had the longest theatrical exclusive run out of everything? lol if that ends up resulting in a surprise Best Picture win.

I think there's a chance Power of the Dog only ends up with Best Director. It's always felt like a shaky frontrunner, especially with preferential balloting.

I can see a case where it would be like #1 on 30% of the ballots but not have enough juice on most of the others leaving an opening for Coda.

Also, this isn't a smear campaign as much as Campion driving right into a wall thinking that the tunnel painted on it was real.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Licorice Pizza had longest theatrical run before streaming 

Green Book at least had old white boomers heavily supporting it. It won PGA and Spielberg executive produced. Power of Dog alienates the old white voting block, hasnt won PGA yet, and is a streaming film. So we’ll see 

I feel like King Richard is the movie that would be helped most by Campion's comments (which, IMO, definitely come across as a poorly-worded honest mistake in which she meant no harm) if anything. But I dunno, I don't see it. At this point I think whatever wins PGA, wins Best Picture.

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I feel like King Richard is the movie that would be helped most by Campion's comments (which, IMO, definitely come across as a poorly-worded honest mistake in which she meant no harm) if anything. But I dunno, I don't see it. At this point I think whatever wins PGA, wins Best Picture.

I think King Richard needed SAG but CODA overtook it. Also don't know if King Richard can win WGA. This is the guild that didn't even give it to Green Book. They usually go with young, cool, writerly choices...8th Grade, Promising Young Woman, Borat, Can You Ever Forgive Me.. and it was the place Moonlight beat both Manchester and La La Land. After 2 big BAFTA wins, CODA is heading into PGA looking like a mini Little Miss Sunshine. 

15 hours ago, ban1o said:

lol right. I knew she would be apologizing quickly. Oscar voting starts in like 3 days and she's the front runner. 

Stuff like this is why you should prepare speeches ahead of time. So you don't sound stupid.

Rich white woman from New Zealand comparing her challenges to Serena and Venus for literally no reason at all lmao. 🤣  

What's her skin colour got to do with anything? You again 🤣

Power of the Dog might be similar to Roma as a shaky "difficult" frontrunner but CODA and Belfast are nothing like Green Book. And with PGA and WGA being so late this year, the fact that none of them has cemented itself as the crystal clear alternative to the frontrunner even with voting starting tommorow makes it all the more difficult for the upset to actually happen. 

Maybe CODA actually breaks all historical precedent and win all of its 3 noms. Maybe Belfast will suddenly win PGA after being beaten by POTD left and right all season long, but most likely people are just bored and talking around in circles about upsets because its mid-March and the oscars are still 2 weeks away.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

More presenters...

LOL Shawn Mendes. Random. But I guess they are trying to boost ratings among young people lol. 

I'm surprised Timothee, Zendaya or Tom haven't been announced. Maybe they're not going. 

Edited by ban1o

15 hours ago, Tarintino said:

What's her skin colour got to do with anything? You again 🤣

I wasn't going to respond to this post initially but I'm bored. Do you have a problem with me? I'm not even the only one who in this thread that mentioned Jane Campion's blatant white feminism that ignored the racism that Serena and Venus experience in the tennis world in order to uplift herself. So it actually has a lot to do with everything. 

2 hours ago, ban1o said:

LOL Shawn Mendes. Random. But I guess they are trying to boost ratings among young people lol. 

I'm surprised Timothee, Zendaya or Tom haven't been announced. Maybe they're not going. 

Shawn Mendes should present the #OscarFanFavorite if Cinderella wins. The producers say they want reuinions, heh...

There will probably be another 2-3 rounds of presenter announcements before the 27th, plus some surprises during the show.

Jessica Chastain plans to be inside when they're presenting makeup, even if it means skipping the red carpet...

Seems reasonable to assume that Shawn Mendes is there to present Original Song. Perhaps alongside Bailey, who is likely appearing so that people will get well-acquainted with her long before her breakout 2023 (The Little Mermaid, The Color Purple).

• Like 1