Eric Prime

President's Day Weekend Thread: Uncharted 3.7 Previews, Dog 1.26

5 minutes ago, Eric Drake said:

Ehh, maybe if they cut down the budget, but I still think Uncharted is coasting off Spider-Mania and Uncharted 2 will probably see a hefty drop.

I think it would definitely drop, much like RE sequels did eventually and Tomb Raider did. So yeah they'd have to adjust the budget. 

That said I think Holland has gained a lot of fans that will be interested in properties just because he's in it, so he's pretty much the closest thing we have to like, 1988 Tom Cruise rn. Idk how long it will last though.

1 minute ago, Eric Drake said:

Anyways, this could be me expecting too much, and I know this is still going to turn out well for MGM, but I feel kind of underwhelmed by Dog's performance just matching Nile, since Dog arguably has more going for it. Just kind of shows there's still a tough ceiling for these kinds of dramas/female-skewing pieces compared to other films IMO

Agreed, Dog is skewing older, for now there's a ceiling for these movies. People, get your parents outta house!

Just now, Eric Drake said:

Anyways, this could be me expecting too much, and I know this is still going to turn out well for MGM, but I feel kind of underwhelmed by Dog's performance just matching Nile, since Dog arguably has more going for it. Just kind of shows there's still a tough ceiling for these kinds of dramas/female-skewing pieces compared to other films IMO

Until a few days ago I'm pretty sure it was going to be dump (even that big Variety Channing piece from a few weeks ago was mostly for The Lost City). A teens opening compared to the expectations of a total in the teens is one of those instances where the appropriate reaction is "I'll take it."

Deadline's Top 10 Projections are up btw

1.) Uncharted (Sony) 4,275 theaters, Fri $15.4M/3-day $40M/4-day $45M/Wk 1

2.) Dog (UAR) 3,677 theaters, Fri $5M/3-day $12.3M/4-day $14.4M/Wk 1

3.) Spider-Man: No Way Home (Sony) 2,956 (-344) theaters, Fri $1.7M (-11%)/3-day $7.46M (-1%)/4-day $9.1M/Total $772.1M/Wk 10

4.) Death on the Nile (Dis) 3,280 theaters, Fri $1.76M (-65%), 3-day $6.5M (-49%)/ 4-day $7.6M/ Total $26.3M/Wk 2

5.) Jackass Forever(Par) 3,071 theaters (-582), Fri $1.47M (-49%)/3-day $5.2M (-36%)/4-day $6.1M//Total: $47.6M/Wk 3

6.) Marry Me (Uni) 3,643 (+1), Fri $1.08M (-64%)/3-day $3.64M (-54%)/4-day $4.2M/Total $17.3M/Wk 2

7.) Sing 2 (Uni/Ill) 2,476 (-355) theaters, Fri $590K (-12%)/3-day $3.05M (-1%)/4-day: $4.09M/Total: $148.6M/Wk 9

8.) Scream (Par) 1,907 (-712) theaters Fri $515K (-37%)/ 3-day $2M (-31%) /4-day $2.4M/Total: $77.4M/Wk 6

9.)  Blacklight (Briar) 2,772 theaters Fri $465K (-62%)/ 3-day $1.6M (-54%)/4-day $1.86M/Total $7.1M /Wk 2

10.) The Cursed (LD) 1,687 theaters Fri $594K/3-day $1.6M/4-day $1.8M/Wk 1

• Like 1

Scream is pretty much locked for an $80M+ total, which if you removed Scream 4's low total from the equation would make it one of the few (if not the only?) horror franchise where every movie in the series made over $80M. Seems like a significant achievement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

12 minutes ago, Eric Drake said:

I mean, 3 days ago I was actually predicting a 5-6M opening for Dog lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

I hope The Lost City does well. It's the big test for older audiences

Lost City is one of the most fascinating case studies for how awful the box office has been over the past few years.

In 2013, with the same cast and concept and everything, this would have grossed 45/160 and become one of those movies like The Proposal or We're the Millers or The Hangover that's always on cable and always on Netflix/HBO Max.

In 2017, it would have done 35/115. Still wouldn't have been as talked about, but at least would still be commended as a solid hit and get a decent presence on cable and streaming.

And now in 2022, it'll probably do 17/50, quietly move to Paramount+, a service nobody cares about, but will inexplicably get a P+ spin-off with Daniel Radcliffe's character that nobody will watch but will somehow get 3 seasons.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 2

Honestly between both of these movies overperforming (and not being comic book properties) that seems like an encouraging sign for the recovery continuing to improve this year. If counterprogramming titles like Elvis or Bullet Train break out this summer that would be reassuring that all isn't lost for anything that isn't a comic book tentpole or a horror movie in a post-COVID world.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Seeing as Tom Holland is an executive producer on this movie, if he cares about being in good movies, he should pull a similar card to Tom Hardy with Venom and kick Ruben Fleischer out of the Director's chair for the sequel.

Or just see if there's still a role in Oppenheimer left to take and start buddying with Nolan on everything

2 hours ago, TiagoRodrigues said:

Sony deserves all the success specifically when they were the ones that never gave up on theatres and kept having hits with movies with only theatre releases. Hopefully it keeps going.

I mean...last year's marvel movies that did better at the box office came from them not Disney. Even Venom 2 with half the budget did better. They must be doing something right.

I think United artist is also doing very decent with their NTTD, AF2, HoG and now Dogs. 

Edited by Borobudur

18 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Seeing as Tom Holland is an executive producer on this movie, if he cares about being in good movies, he should pull a similar card to Tom Hardy with Venom and kick Ruben Fleischer out of the Director's chair for the sequel.

Not sure what you’re getting at considering, since Venom is good.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Venom 1 was better than 2 though lol (well imo)

Edited by AdrianL