CJohn

Alien: Romulus | August 16, 2024 | Fede Alvarez | See the original Alien in theaters on April 26

7 hours ago, TomThomas said:

My argument is critics rated it higher than audiences, especially if we count foregin imdb-like sites. And considering how poorly critics treated other Predator films I don't think Prey deserves this kind of acclaim, it's most certainly not based on merit considering how flawed it is. I rewatched Predator 2 a couple of days ago and it's far and away better movie, and yet it was destroyed on release.

I agree with you that Predator 2 is way better than Prey (which also rules) but critics AND audiences rated it higher.

• Like 1

Unlike Jurassic park, I’d still be moderately interested in further alien instalments if the talent backed it up. The monster will never provoke the same horror it used to, but if a director really committed to the OT’s analogue aesthetic and sense of mystery then the richness of the world and grim mood definitely allows for more good movies. 

Or just play lip service to the alien and be really, really weird. It (just about) saved Covenant. 

Covenant was really bad. They really destroyed this franchise imo. They had Charlize Theron, a huge star and they wasted her character.  They should’ve moved the story on with Charlize and Noomi, but instead we got more of the David nonsense. The CGI was so bad. Seems like they are going back to basics with the new one which is the right thing to do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy said:

Covenant was really bad. They really destroyed this franchise imo. They had Charlize Theron, a huge star and they wasted her character.  They should’ve moved the story on with Charlize and Noomi, but instead we got more of the David nonsense.

David was the best part of both movies, wtf are you talking about. Charlize character didn't have character arc or good reason to justify her surviving and becoming one of the leads, it was always about Noomi and Fassbender, and Ridley wasted Noomi in the worst way possible.

2 hours ago, Andy said:

Seems like they are going back to basics with the new one which is the right thing to do. 

Doesn't look like back to basics, unless you mean walking and hiding in some spaceship corridors, but it would be just an inferior version of movies made before. Life did its take on this and it didn't work (even though I liked it) despite great cast, back to basics here would mean making another weak movie in the franchise.

Edited by Firepower

On 11/29/2023 at 4:52 PM, TomThomas said:

My argument is critics rated it higher than audiences, especially if we count foregin imdb-like sites. And considering how poorly critics treated other Predator films I don't think Prey deserves this kind of acclaim, it's most certainly not based on merit considering how flawed it is. I rewatched Predator 2 a couple of days ago and it's far and away better movie, and yet it was destroyed on release.

that's such i shallow childish mindset for movies 

51 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

Anything surrounding the David character in the Alien prequels is Ridley Scott and Michael Fassbender firing on all cylinders. One of the most fascinating and iconic characters in recent cinema as far as I'm concerned.

David deserves a much better movie than Covenant, Fassbender carries it hard, he could've been nominated for Academy Award for this role if the movie around him was as good as his perfomance and character.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FilmFincher said:

Anything surrounding the David character in the Alien prequels is Ridley Scott and Michael Fassbender firing on all cylinders. One of the most fascinating and iconic characters in recent cinema as far as I'm concerned.

agreed. It’s clear Scott just wanted to make an android film and both are at their best when he’s onscreen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MOVIEGUY said:

I thought Covenant fixed one of the big mistakes from Prometheus, in that the characters aren't making idiotic decisions the entire movie, just some of the movie.

Is this a joke? Covenant not only didn't fix this, but cranked it up to eleven. Characters are even more stupid than in Prometheus, hats with ear flaps instead of helmets on unknown planet which leads infection and deaths, dumbass captain putting his head inside an alien egg by advice of an evil smiling android and so on, it almost feels like trolling on Ridley's part, he's heard Prometheus criticism and decided to make it even worse.

Edited by Firepower

I don't remember the ear flaps thing so I can't say that bothered me, and yes Billy Crudup's death was incredibly dumb, but other than that and the decision to go the planet in the first place, there weren't any other times I can remember thinking "oh come on that's so stupid," as opposed to Prometheus where it felt like I was thinking that the entire movie.

So maybe "fixed" wasn't the right choice of words but it felt like an improvement to me.

Edited by MOVIEGUY

9 hours ago, cooldude97 said:

that's such i shallow childish mindset for movies 

Grammar exists for a reason, cooldude.

I don't think it's childish or shallow to think that some movie doesn't deserve acclaim it got when much better movies in the same franchise were trashed and one of them also bombed, that's simply not fair and I just wish Predator 2 was successful, so the franchise was still in theaters and not on streaming.

Edited by TomThomas

1 hour ago, TomThomas said:

Grammar exists for a reason, cooldude.

I don't think it's childish or shallow to think that some movie doesn't deserve acclaim it got when much better movies in the same franchise were trashed and one of them also bombed, that's simply not fair and I just wish Predator 2 was successful, so the franchise was still in theaters and not on streaming.

the fact you're being pissy about people not liking a movie as much as you do and being down on a more popular movie because of it, and being a grammar nazi shows a major lack of emotional maturity on your part 

37 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

the fact you're being pissy about people not liking a movie as much as you do and being down on a more popular movie because of it, and being a grammar nazi shows a major lack of emotional maturity on your part 

You talk a lot about maturity or me being childish while ignoring existence of dots and uppercases, you don't appreciate the irony I see.

And you completely missed the point of my posts, I'm not criticizing Prey because people didn't like Predator 2, I was frustrated by Prey's reception back when I watched it on release because it's a Predators level movie, but without all-star cast and cool concept, and Predators wasn't considered amazing by anyone when it was released because it wasn't.

On 11/30/2023 at 4:30 PM, Firepower said:

David was the best part of both movies, wtf are you talking about. Charlize character didn't have character arc or good reason to justify her surviving and becoming one of the leads, it was always about Noomi and Fassbender, and Ridley wasted Noomi in the worst way possible.

Doesn't look like back to basics, unless you mean walking and hiding in some spaceship corridors, but it would be just an inferior version of movies made before. Life did its take on this and it didn't work (even though I liked it) despite great cast, back to basics here would mean making another weak movie in the franchise.

Sorry but no. I enjoyed Prometheus though. Covenant was a mess and I found the David storyline horrible,  It should’ve carried on with Noomi, but just more Aliens than Prometheus. CGI was bad. Ridley just gave up on it. 

When I say back to basics, I mean it seems they are doing more physical props and less cgi.

Life was better than Covenant imo.