CJohn

Alien: Romulus | August 16, 2024 | Fede Alvarez | See the original Alien in theaters on April 26

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

Distant colony setting, taking place between 1 and 2, nasty violence, all get a thumbs-up from me.

Group of teenagers.... again.... iffy.

But really, any concept can be good, what matters is the execution.

Fede can make a visually pleasing movie, but aside from terrible concept and cheap cast, what fully sealed the deal for me is Ridley praising it while subtly trolling Fede. I know Ridley very well, it's a terrible sign, he never praises anything unless it's directed by him, Kubrick or George Lucas. He didn't like Aliens, Blade Runner 2049, The Shining and Top Gun: Maverick. So either you believe Ridley really thinks it's better than those 4 or what's more likely he was incredibly insincere as his subtle digs imply, I'm sure he's very pleased with himself. Anyway, it doesn't mean it won't get good critics reviews and I'll watch the trailer because curiosity will take the better of me, but I won't be there to support this in theaters or even watch it on vod, I just want them to stop abusing the corpse and let the franchise finally die in peace, the same with Terminator, that's pretty much it.

On 3/9/2024 at 5:20 PM, SpiderByte said:

The way the release schedule looks this should be an easy handoff from Deadpool. And to think people thought Disney would back off of R ratings when they first bought fox

Before these though, The First Omen is R too. 

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Before these though, The First Omen is R too. 

I don't think that's gonna run through the box office the way Deadpool will. But the back half of the summer does not have much competition 

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't think that's gonna run through the box office the way Deadpool will. But the back half of the summer does not have much competition 

Ah I didn’t mean box office sorry, just in your response to them not releasing R rated films through Fox. 

If anything, visually it looks nice as expected, certainly better than Covenant where Ridley dropped the ball hard even on a technical level. Content-wise it looks "been there done that", nearly everything was already done in previous films, that last shot is straigth from Aliens and zero gravity scene is similar to Terminator: Dark Fate. Cast outside 2 main girls looks cheap af.

Edited by Firepower

On 12/1/2023 at 3:47 PM, Krissykins said:

Ooh didn’t realise this was switched to theatrical. Nice.

Promote it as a scary horror sci fi film to bring in younger audiences. 

Oh they did go this route. Like the new trailer. Time to move away from that Prometheus (nonsense) stuff.