Steele131

Weekend thread (3/11 - 3/13) | The Batman 66M. 50% drop, 2nd-biggest second weekend for WB | Uncharted 9.25, BTS 6.85, Dog 5.35, NWH 4.07

32 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

The big K-Pop boy band that the kids today are really into. I actually unironically jam out to their Dynamite song while I drive to work.

I'm not the demo at all for this, but yeah, that was catchy as hell. I hereby revoke my grumpy face from last night's ticket report. (Even Gotham needs some sunshine every now and then.)

39 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Oh man. Way too young. One of my favorite actors. Body Heat, Broadcast News, Children of a Lesser God, Altered States, A.I.... he left an amazing cinematic legacy. R.I.P.

• Like 2

Before William Hurt became an MCU bad boy and Tele's favorite punchline here, he had some really really good roles and films in the 80's.  Altered States was a terrific horror/sci-fi film I saw in my teens.  Body Heat with Kathleen Turner, he was part of a terrific ensemble in The Big Chill, he played a Russian in Gorky Park and then two of his best performances (IMO) were in Broadcast News and Children of a Lesser God.  Perhaps my favourite film of his was Mr. Brooks.  He was also memorable in A History of Violence.  Way too young to pass on.  But what a terrific career he had.  RIP.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Yeah, definitely give Children of a Lesser God a watch. It's a really great movie that also features Marlee Matlin, the mom from CODA. If you liked CODA, you will love this.

The behind the scenes on the other hand. Including the part where Hurt said they both made mistakes and apologized 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/aug/06/deaf-is-not-a-costume-marlee-matlin-on-surviving-abuse-and-casting-authentically

On the night Matlin won, she was clean and sober, but her dream-come-true moment ended miserably – with an emotionally abusive outburst by her then-boyfriend, William Hurt, who co-starred in Children of a Lesser God. He was also up for an Oscar, but missed out. He had been dreading her winning. In I’ll Scream Later, she described getting into a limo after a party, shiny gold statue by her side. Then Hurt got in the car and started laying into her verbally: “What makes you think you deserve it? There are hundreds of actors who have worked for years for the recognition you just got handed to you,” she remembers. “Think about that.” He then told her to sign up for acting classes.

In the book, Matlin detailed the physical and emotional abuse she endured during their two-year relationship. The pair met on the set of Children of a Lesser God; she was 19 and Hurt was 35. By the time of the Oscars, they were media darlings – the onscreen couple who fell in love for real. But Matlin wrote about arguments that turned violent, that left her with bruises and cuts and, on at least one occasion, fearing for her life. She also wrote of one incident of sexual violence, after Hurt staggered into their apartment drunk at 4.30am.

Responding to Matlin’s memoir, Hurt said in 2009: “My own recollection is that we both apologised and both did a great deal to heal our lives. Of course, I did and do apologise for any pain I caused. And I know we both have grown. I wish Marlee and her family nothing but good.”

I ask Matlin if she found it painful to write these sections of the book. She shakes her head and fixes me a steady look with her shocking blue eyes. “I could not wait to tell my story, to talk about what I went through,” she says. Did she worry her revelations could damage her career? “I didn’t even give it a second thought, because it was the truth. It was my truth – and up to me to tell it my way.”

• Sad 1

@grim22 did you get into any details about Kobe Bryant's rape case when he passed away?  You could rip into any actor based on their past.  I'm not excusing what he did, but it kind of seems like you're cherry picking.  Just make sure you bring up all the shitty things other actors have done in their past.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

@grim22 did you get into any details about Kobe Bryant's rape case when he passed away?  You could rip into any actor based on their past.  I'm not excusing what he did, but it kind of seems like you're cherry picking.  Just make sure you bring up all the shitty things other actors have done in their past.

Yes I did. Why would you think I didn't? Kobe's rape case defines him just as much as his basketball.

People can talk about a person being a great actor while acknowledging they were a bad human being to people. The 2 don't need to be mutually exclusive to one another. 

But hey, he was also a 9/11 truther conspiracist, so let's not just stop with that

• Like 3

If you did, then I apologize.  There's so many who sung Kobe's praises that it made me mad.  I didn't know you spoke out about it.  My bad.  

Fucking hysterical how some sobbed over Kobe Bryant and are upset over this guy who are both known abusers yet wish death and destruction upon Rowling.

A sick, twisted society we live in.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Fucking hysterical how some sobbed over Kobe Bryant and are upset over this guy who are both known abusers yet wish death and destruction upon Rowling.

A sick, twisted society we live in.

You're right. We should compromise and say that all three suck :)

• Like 8