Steele131

Weekend thread (3/11 - 3/13) | The Batman 66M. 50% drop, 2nd-biggest second weekend for WB | Uncharted 9.25, BTS 6.85, Dog 5.35, NWH 4.07

43 minutes ago, catlover said:

I don't know the detail, but from what I've seen, wasn't the point of this event live viewing, like watching a concert live? Hence the 1 limited live viewing showtime, plus a 1 repeat show.  At least that's how it was held here.

That's how it was promoted, but the concert was shown on a significant tape delay (by a few hours, based on Deadline), so it wasn't really "live", outside of getting to view it at the same time as all the other theater-going fans (even then, there were multiple showtimes, so not exactly completely simultaneous).

I suppose given where the concert took place, this was about as good as could be done outside of having the concert in the very early morning in Seoul.

9 hours ago, wildphantom said:

At least Disney can console themselves with their existing subscribers who wouldn’t have cancelled watching Turning Red for free this weekend in their droves. What a business model. Lmao 

Lol Disney will hit 200m users in what a couple years. Took Netflix ages. Disney doesn’t lose for Christ sakes look at Disney land. I’m a cheap bastard and I took my daughter for 1 day free (wife’s best friend works there)

going for 3 day hopper for her birthday. Yea she’s spoiled as hell and I still love Disney land at 37

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, DAR said:

This thread perfectly encapsulates why I’ve spent the last two years in the BOT Telegram threads.

Telegram threads famously contain lots of incisive box office analysis but without the baggage of social conflict and argument :jeb!:

• Haha 1

March 25-April 22 is a 5 week stretch with a lot of releases. Will be the first time the market is out of “domination by a single CBM” mode since dec. Then we go back to that mode for a month or so, and Lightyear Dominion combo is when we permanently get back to a normal schedule.

• Like 3

All those holds are incredible. People are hungry for movies at the theaters and what better time the to be ushered in my one of rhe best comic book movies in recent memory. I think The Lost City is heading towards a big break out as well. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, DAJK said:

I know there are much bigger stories this weekend, but the fact that Dog is going to finish within a few million of A Dog’s Purpose is outstanding. That was (to my knowledge) the biggest “dog” movie of the last decade. Dog getting there is incredible, and a sign that the theatrical experience is indeed back baby.

The Power of the Dog

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 1

So I was checking Google play and apparently DOG is on PVOD already??? Why the fuck??

I know that PVOD doesn't have much effect on Box office, but it has SOME effect. What's up with that MGM?

Now that I think about it, they did the same thing with No Time To Die. Why tho?

11 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

So I was checking Google play and apparently DOG is on PVOD already??? Why the fuck??

I know that PVOD doesn't have much effect on Box office, but it has SOME effect. What's up with that MGM?

Now that I think about it, they did the same thing with No Time To Die. Why tho?

People want PVOD revenue from releasing it earlier, and the BO impact appears to be very very minimal.

15 hours ago, KnucklesXXR said:

Looking at 'Black Panther' for inspiration, 'The Batman' 2nd weekend is very close to BP's 3rd weekend. If it follows those drops, we'd be looking at a finish around $435M. I don't expect it to hold quite that well (4x the equivalent weekend). I do think $400M is in the cards though, going 3.5x this weekend and hitting 3x overall. A major win all around. 

Batman's 2nd weekend will be very close to Captain Marvel 2nd weekend (+$66m to $68m/-55,7%). CM add almost $162 million to its domestic gross after that. The Batman would finish at $400.5m with another $162m, but I don't think it will do that well. CM had a great boost due to Avengers: Endgame release, while The Batman will drop harder than ever after HBO Max premiere in April, or May 6th when Doctor Strange hits the theaters. $400m would be very, very hard to achieve, but I believe Batman has a good shot to beat last Potter film ($381m).

7 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Lol Disney will hit 200m users in what a couple years. Took Netflix ages. Disney doesn’t lose for Christ sakes look at Disney land. I’m a cheap bastard and I took my daughter for 1 day free (wife’s best friend works there)

going for 3 day hopper for her birthday. Yea she’s spoiled as hell and I still love Disney land at 37

hey, I’m their biggest fan! I’ve been lucky enough to have been to all the parks countless times and am an animation nut. Several of their hand drawn animated films are amongst my favourite films of all time. 

However, none of those 200 million users would have unsubscribed if Turning Red hadn’t debuted on the platform. Many of them would have paid top dollar to see it in cinemas.  They’ve literally thrown money away in my opinion. 

I think this will be the last time they do it with a Pixar film though. They looked at omicron in January and thought they needed to make a call. Made the wrong one, but hey ho. 

My stance on ‘mega movies straight to Disney+’ around here is well documented ad nauseum by now.  So I shall say no more :)

20 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

hey, I’m their biggest fan! I’ve been lucky enough to have been to all the parks countless times and am an animation nut. Several of their hand drawn animated films are amongst my favourite films of all time. 

However, none of those 200 million users would have unsubscribed if Turning Red hadn’t debuted on the platform. Many of them would have paid top dollar to see it in cinemas.  They’ve literally thrown money away in my opinion. 

I think this will be the last time they do it with a Pixar film though. They looked at omicron in January and thought they needed to make a call. Made the wrong one, but hey ho. 

My stance on ‘mega movies straight to Disney+’ around here is well documented ad nauseum by now.  So I shall say no more :)

D+ could add nothing for 6 months and probably only lose a small fraction of subscribers tbh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

I mean to keep (or attract more) subscribers... they could have a 30-day theatrical exclusive or even simultaneous release for Turning Red. 

Or at least theatrical overseas or something.

What a waste honestly especially after seeing this tweet:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Villain Legion said:

March 25-April 22 is a 5 week stretch with a lot of releases. Will be the first time the market is out of “domination by a single CBM” mode since dec. Then we go back to that mode for a month or so, and Lightyear Dominion combo is when we permanently get back to a normal schedule.

What Lightyear Dominion combo.