Eric Prime

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire | March 29, 2024 | They're boyfriends now

5 minutes ago, movies!movies! said:

Always a good sign imo when the runtime for one of these movies is under 2 hours. I know people are annoyed by the whole runtime argument, but imo Godzilla vs Kong would have completely failed if it was 30 minutes longer than it was.

You can only make your stupid monster battle movie so long until audiences get tired of the spectacle. Of course the overall quality matters far more, but this bodes well for the movie having a fast pace that doesnt overstay its welcome.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Always a good sign imo when the runtime for one of these movies is under 2 hours. I know people are annoyed by the whole runtime argument, but imo Godzilla vs Kong would have completely failed if it was 30 minutes longer than it was.

You can only make your stupid monster battle movie so long until audiences get tired of the spectacle. Of course the overall quality matters far more, but this bodes well for the movie having a fast pace that doesnt overstay its welcome.

Godzilla vs Kong was smart editing. They cut out unnecessary backstory for a number of characters. IIRC, Eiza Gonzalez was supposed to have some daddy issues backstory, similar with Serizawa's son, same with the evil corporation, and more mumbo jumbo with the skull and stuff. Someone along the way realised that no one cares about that stuff and inserted a big fight every 20 minutes instead.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Godzilla vs Kong was smart editing. They cut out unnecessary backstory for a number of characters. IIRC, Eiza Gonzalez was supposed to have some daddy issues backstory, similar with Serizawa's son, same with the evil corporation, and more mumbo jumbo with the skull and stuff. Someone along the way realised that no one cares about that stuff and inserted a big fight every 20 minutes instead.

This was the thing I heard most from people three years ago. They were glad that the characters were there purely for exposition and not to follow around.

I hate to say it, but I think future writers are going to just stick with spectacle for the MonsterVerse. It's the only thing that they're good at. Writing interesting character dialogue and backstory isn't their forte.

Edited by NoobSaibot

14 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

This was the thing I heard most from people three years ago. They were glad that the characters were there purely for exposition and not to follow around.

I hate to say it, but I think future writers are going to just stick with spectacle for the MonsterVerse. It's the only thing that they're good at. Writing interesting character dialogue and backstory isn't their forte.

The Monsterverse can write great characters and backstories as long as those characters are completely CGI and over 100 meters tall

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Yeah, I remember hearing reports about it being heavily cut down after King of the Monsters failed. Thankfully, unlike many other situations like this in Hollywood, Adam Wingard seems to have had a decent seat at the table through it all, as indicated by him gleefully returning for this one. And this time they went in with the knowledge of what the fans truly want instead of having to retroactively change the movie after filming, so hopefully the movie is great and it pays off next month.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 12:36 AM, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Yeah, I remember hearing reports about it being heavily cut down after King of the Monsters failed. Thankfully, unlike many other situations like this in Hollywood, Adam Wingard seems to have had a decent seat at the table through it all, as indicated by him gleefully returning for this one. And this time they went in with the knowledge of what the fans truly want instead of having to retroactively change the movie after filming, so hopefully the movie is great and it pays off next month.

I’m still waiting for a Destroy All Monsters style team up movie. If you’re the executive in charge of overseeing the MonsterVerse, how is such a movie not on the docket?