Eric Wilson

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire | March 29, 2024 | They're boyfriends now

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Kong's son looks like shit, as well as shots where Kong and Godzilla are running in the same frame. If we take video-games, The Last of Us 2 looks better than this and it's a PS4 generation title.

Dune Part 2 looks like it's in a different league entirely compared to this, even considering they aim for very different tones.

You really need to take a chill pill. You act like this movie ran over your dog

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/17/2024 at 2:24 AM, ChiefBrody said:

You really need to take a chill pill. You act like this movie ran over your dog

I just expressed a short negative opinion, the guy replied to me, I replied to him, you are weird if you think I care about this movie, I didn't even watch those movies post first Godzilla.

Edited by Firepower

2 hours ago, Firepower said:

I just expressed a short negative opinion, the guy replied to me, I replied to him, you are weird if you think I care about this movie, I didn't even watch those movies post first Godzilla.

Then why are you even in this topic if you don’t care? Seems kinda weird to me…

Some GxK talk in the buzz and tracking thread, count me with those not really feeling this one. The trailer makes it look like it’s jumped the shark to me. I’ll guess this opens on a similar level as Godzilla vs Kong, 40-45m

48 minutes ago, leoh said:

well you can go back to monster-verse pre pandemic release, its 2019 movie barely crossed 100M, and there’s no pandemics to justify it. Monster-verse is a franchise in clear decline:

Godzilla (2014) 200M

Kong Skull island (2017) 168M

Godzilla King of Monsters (2019) 110M

Godzilla X Kong (2021) 100M

I’m not talking about you of course, but it is crazy that some people here are calling out @Shawn Robbins to argue that a dying franchise (in the US at least) like monster-verse should have a better projection. It’s like fighting off facts, monster-verse has been declining every single release in the US.

Moving this conversation where it belongs (not in the tracking thread).  Also FYI, its a bit of overkill to tag Shawn directly every time the BOP projections are discussed; he'll read through the thread

My simple retort is Transformers Rise of the Beats outgrossing the previous installment in the "dying franchise" by 21% despite a crowded summer and 1 week of PLFs. But I think its less about this specific film, and just that there has been virtually nothing for the action GA crowd for months! Aquaman floated on that void in the market, and the closest since then was probably Beekeeper

Sometimes an itch just needs to be scratched, and while I think Dune II is going to do very well, its not going to be the fix some audience is looking for given the demo skew of the previous film

Edited by M37
  • Like 4

GxK is doing quite well in terms of online metrics btw. The 2nd trailer didn't even drop off a cliff as it happens with films that have strong early interest but die closer to release (see Matrix Resurrections, The Marvels). Doing better than Rise of the Beasts (since @M37 brought it up). I think it pulls off a $70 mil opening at least.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, M37 said:

Moving this conversation where it belongs (not in the tracking thread).  Also FYI, its a bit of overkill to Shawn directly every time the BOP projections are discussed; he'll read through the thread

My simple retort is Transformers Rise of the Beats outgrossing the previous installment in the "dying franchise" by 21% despite a crowded summer and 1 week of PLFs. But I think its less about this specific film, and just that there has been virtually nothing for the action GA crowd for months! Aquaman floated on that void in the market, and the closest since then was probably Beekeeper

Sometimes an itch just needs to be scratched, and while I think Dune II is going to do very well, its not going to be the fix some audience is looking for given the demo skew of the previous film

Thats my biggest hope for this movie as well. March and April are just so empty and thats on top of an already incredibly light Winter Season so far. I dont know hoch much GxK will profit from action-starved audiences, but i think its very likely that this will have a positive effect to its numbers.

• Like 1

I’m not sure about DOM performance, even if i think it should grow compared to GxK simply because that was under very different conditions. 

If i have to guess, i would say 50M OW and 130M DOM or so

But i think it’ll be big OS, like 350-400M

44 minutes ago, M37 said:

Moving this conversation where it belongs (not in the tracking thread).  Also FYI, its a bit of overkill to Shawn directly every time the BOP projections are discussed; he'll read through the thread

the point is, monster-verse is a dying franchise in the US (you just need to look at their movies box office records), and some people are weirdly acting like this was not a fact very much verifiable.

I mean no one can predict the future, everything is possible, but it doesn’t sound reasonable trying to push up a dying franchise just because “I feel this is possible”.

Monster-verse is factually a dying franchise, things might change from now on? Of course, everything is possible. But (I’m not talking about you) it’s still nonsensical trying to fight off the data that shows the current situation of monster-verse is a dying franchise. This plain fact had to be considered by@Shawn Robbins and it’s crazy that some people get mad at a track just because it does not show what they want.

Same weeks ago same happened with Dune because Shawn was projecting it’d be far away from 100M OW. Well three weeks afterwards everyone knows his  projection high end was quite accurate.

Edited by leoh
  • Thanks 1

I think on the upper spectrum, its potential maxes out at $55 million on opening weekend*. Its legs will obviously be the most important factor.

Some of the predictions I've seen on these boards require massive confidence and brass. I don't see $70-$80 million. If this movie gets close to Kong: Skull Island's OW, it's probably something worth applauding over.

**Added note: Keyword here is potential. I don't think it's actually going to touch that number.

Edited by NoobSaibot

I feel like the fact this is opening in close proximity to Godzilla Minus One doesn't help it one bit. That movie proved that these flicks don't have to be a flimsy mixture of empty spectacle and human stupidity.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

Using GvK's box office as evidence for anything is absurd, it's performance was great considering the conditions and would have been way higher in a normal release. I believe in Australia which was open at the time it opened higher than KOTM full run.

what is you excuse for its 2019 box office????? Monster-verse 2019 movie final run at American box office was 110M.

Edited by leoh

5 minutes ago, leoh said:

what is you excuse for its 2019 box office????? Monster-verse 2019 movie final run at American box office was 110M.

The question isn't directed at me, but I feel that there are numerous reasons.

(1) Bad human characters.

(2) Bad use of human characters.

(3) Very difficult market that might have been riding the Disney high following Endgame.

(4) Tried to be "smart" with a metaphor for climate change, but it couldn't be pulled off, because again bad characters.

(5) The film was plugged full of fan service. It was a film that many fans love, but it didn't cater to the general audience.

I enjoy it, but to many others it probably just looked like any other big budget movie.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

The question isn't directed at me, but I feel that there are numerous reasons.

(1) Bad human characters.

(2) Bad use of human characters.

(3) Very difficult market that might have been riding the Disney high following Endgame.

(4) Tried to be "smart" with a metaphor for climate change, but it couldn't be pulled off, because again bad characters.

(5) The film was plugged full of fan service. It was a film that many fans love, but it didn't cater to the general audience.

I enjoy it, but to many others it probably just looked like any other big budget movie.

I believe it was Aladdins (relative to expectations) overperformance, that doomed this movie among the other reasons you mentioned. After Endgame, a second massive blockbuster just crowded the marketplace for the action audience too much; it didnt help as well that John Wick 3 and to a lesser extent Detective Pikachu were playing as well.

8 hours ago, leoh said:

Obviously the fact that those are two different movies. That was a solo Godzilla movie with the other monsters being ones that audiences don't care about and this is a crossover with both Godzilla and Kong. 

Edited by Menor the Destroyer
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator
15 hours ago, M37 said:

Moving this conversation where it belongs (not in the tracking thread).  Also FYI, its a bit of overkill to tag Shawn directly every time the BOP projections are discussed; he'll read through the thread

I don't mind replying when tagged as long as it's civil/friendly talk and straight-forward questions. It actually helps because I haven't had as much time to read through the thread lately, especially when it gets busy, so notifications help me to not miss anyone's specific questions or comments.

That said, your point stands as well. I don't need to be tagged if it's just a topic/convo on constant repeat, or tinged with poorly toned/aggressive comments (which we honestly are going to have to crack down on more when directed toward anyone), especially if I've already answered with my opinion on it.

(Also, very intriguing comp re: Transformers -- will be adding that one to the batch.) :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, leoh said:

In 2019, from March through July, there were 6 films to gross at least $350M domestic (5 over $390M) - including a little movie called Avengers Endgame - more than all of 2018 or 2017. When the box office is top-heavy, audiences focus on the big event films at the expense of the mid and lower level titles 

And when box office is weak, those same mid and lower level films can find more room to blossom 

• Like 1