Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (3/25-27) | Asgard 2 says 11.75 Sat for Lost City

23 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Don't think Strange will get a 45 days window. Both Shang Chi and Eternals had bigger windows.

Well I would also think not but apparently shareholder aren’t pleased with the low Disney plus subs and it’s stock level from previous quarter so I don’t think it’s impossible.

I will admit that Friday was rougher than I had hoped for across the board. SING 2 especially didn't get the benefit that I (and others) had hoped. Think this is the first Friday for Bat I am disappointed with, but it is understandable in context. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I will admit that Friday was rougher than I had hoped for across the board. SING 2 especially didn't get the benefit that I (and others) had hoped. Think this is the first Friday for Bat I am disappointed with, but it is understandable in context. 

Sing 2, even with the fancy sing-along, only has two showtimes per day, at 12PM and 3PM at basically all the theaters around me, even on Friday. Makes sense there hasn't been any benefits at all. And if you want to do a sing-along, you can just watch it at home and turn on closed captioning

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I'm a bit disappointed at that Sing 2 bump, but it still had the best Fri-Fri hold for any wide release. 

2 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Sing 2, even with the fancy sing-along, only has two showtimes per day, at 12PM and 3PM at basically all the theaters around me, even on Friday. Makes sense there hasn't been any benefits at all. And if you want to do a sing-along, you can just watch it at home and turn on closed captioning

Yeah, an aspect I didn't see till too late. Its all good in the end just enjoy the leg out we have seen. 

Anyone calling Batman's run a disappointment (especially when HBO MAX will cut into it's run) clearly hasn't followed box office for years like me. I've been following it for 18 years and this is far from a disappointment. I'm so tired of people calling Batman's box office run a disappointment. It won't reach $400m but at least it won't lose money like The Suicide Squad did. I wasn't expecting it to ever reach that level due to the toxic WOM of BvS and JL. Overseas is going well for it so yeah it will see profitability but it not reaching $400m is not the end of the world. It lost most of its premium screens to TLC.

Also, to the people that were disappointed about TLC not opening high enough, this is so absurd. If we want to start talking about disappointments, let's talk about how much WSS will lose despite it getting better reviews than Batman and TLC. The former will be profitable even though it's done terrible in China while the latter has done solidly considering adults are still struggling of going back to movie theaters. Also, let's talk about how much Cyrano flopped despite good reviews. That and WSS combined will gross less than TLC alone. 

Please stop calling TLC and Batman disappointments!!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

3.5x 4th weekend isn't outrageous by any means. But the onslaught of competition in upcoming weeks makes me think just under that. 

I don't think the comp will do as big of a damage I still think it would past HPD2 but just slightly. 

1 minute ago, Tokugennumataka said:

I'm a bit disappointed at that Sing 2 bump, but it still had the best Fri-Fri hold for any wide release. 

Yeah, which speaks to how weak the Friday seems - even with a slightly inflated Friday last week. Its good to have new films opening up, just gotta get used to older routines again lol. 

People seem to have a strange reaction to the idea of other people being disappointed by different things than they are. It’s as much a function of your hopes for XYZ as the actual performance of XYZ, and it’s not like there’s an objective procedure for determining that.    

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yeah, which speaks to how weak the Friday seems - even with a slightly inflated Friday last week. Its good to have new films opening up, just gotta get used to older routines again lol. 

Last Fri was more than slightly inflated imo, but I guess the sat-to-sats will be the ultimate arbiter of that 😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

Anyone calling Batman's run a disappointment (especially when HBO MAX will cut into it's run) clearly hasn't followed box office for years like me. I've been following it for 18 years and this is far from a disappointment. I'm so tired of people calling Batman's box office run a disappointment. It won't reach $400m but at least it won't lose money like The Suicide Squad did. I wasn't expecting it to ever reach that level due to the toxic WOM of BvS and JL. Overseas is going well for it so yeah it will see profitability but it not reaching $400m is not the end of the world. It lost most of its premium screens to TLC.

Also, to the people that were disappointed about TLC not opening high enough, this is so absurd. If we want to start talking about disappointments, let's talk about how much WSS will lose despite it getting better reviews than Batman and TLC. The former will be profitable even though it's done terrible in China while the latter has done solidly considering adults are still struggling of going back to movie theaters. Also, let's talk about how much Cyrano flopped despite good reviews. That and WSS combined will gross less than TLC alone. 

Please stop calling TLC and Batman disappointments!!!!

Umm ... nobody is disappointed by those movies? The Batman is having a very good run and will probably settle in the 370-390M region DOM, which is excellent. The Lost City right now is having a 30M+ OW, wich is very solid.

If anything, a few members here have mentioned that the Friday jumps are a bit lower than usual - which they are. Thats not the same as calling the whole movies run disappointing.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, narniadis said:

New movies opening up is awesome for the studios, but it comes at a cost hurting most of the holdovers especially NWH having its worst drop in 3 months. It should be thankful it held very well during Q1 to make it to $800m, which will reach that mark today or tomorrow.

TLC needs a good increase (Today vs. True Friday) like in the 40s to get to $30M. It may make it to $100m. Dog did get killed by new competition but will have enough juice to get it to $60M against only a $15m budget. Batman will reach $370-380M (solid run for it, I only expected $117m/$300m total).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Villain Legion said:

Last Fri was more than slightly inflated imo, but I guess the sat-to-sats will be the ultimate arbiter of that 😂

Oh it was - per usual with Spring Break - but the overall weekend wasnt at all. Had hoped (not sure why) that it would balance out this weekend. 😂🤷‍♂️ even the old guard can make terrible calls and have bad hopes. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Well I would also think not but apparently shareholder aren’t pleased with the low Disney plus subs and it’s stock level from previous quarter so I don’t think it’s impossible.

45 days window would mean it would hit D+ on June. Both Obi-Wan Kenobi and Ms Marvel will be airing on June, so there's no need for DSMoM to be on D+ the same month. It would makes sense to release it on mid July, once Ms Marvel ends.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, VENOM said:

If a film goes to the plus dogs it’s Lightyear, not MoM.

3 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Eerr I wouldn't watch Light Year if it drops on Disney+. 

There is big box office expectations from Light Year here. 

Disney doesn’t care about animation box office anymore. It’s all about plus content. 

• Like 1