Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (3/25-27) | Asgard 2 says 11.75 Sat for Lost City

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's a fantastic movie and looked gorgeous in IMAX. Needs the biggest screen possible, but you will have a great time with it at home too

God I'm a little irked it's going wide the same weekend as Sonic and Ambulance. I hope it gets a PLF show somewhere here.

Edited by Ezen Baklattan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Anything above 60m is great for Sonic 2. It would bode well for family films like Minions, Mario and Lightyear.

TMobile has announced that Sonic will be a $4 Atom deal...that's great news for Sonic's Box Office shot...you get someone suckered in with 1-2 cheap seats for a family movie, and they tend buy the other 2-4 for the kids.  And yes, I would know...and yes, I'll probably be buying now...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, YourMother said:

If a film goes to the plus dogs it’s Lightyear, not MoM.

Lightyear will do the equivalent of peanuts to Disney+ sub counts. I think they already have all the toy story crowd on there already.

Edited by VENOM
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

This is kind of an unusual ad, asking for people to rewatch the movie, isn’t it?

They all do this but the difference is this movie literally comes out on streaming in a coupe of weeks so trying to convince people to sit through 3 hours again when it’s that close is basically like trying to have you cake and eat it.

19 minutes ago, VENOM said:

They all do this but the difference is this movie literally comes out on streaming in a coupe of weeks so trying to convince people to sit through 3 hours again when it’s that close is basically like trying to have you cake and eat it.

HBOMax is not Warner Bros. theatrical.  They are two different entities and theatrical fucking hates HBOMax.  They have jobs and are judged and bonused on what films gross in theaters.  They have separate marketing.  

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

No...

A lot of movies had promotion like this!

Don't be extra!

I thought maybe WB, the studio, was trying to get The Batman even better legs in order to convince the top executives at WarnerMedia/Discovery against the 45-day window. But since you're saying this type of ad is normal I think I was reading too much into it.

28 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

HBOMax is not Warner Bros. theatrical.  They are two different entities and theatrical fucking hates HBOMax.  They have jobs and are judged and bonused on what films gross in theaters.  They have separate marketing.  

Yes but whoever is making the decisions to make every film get 45’d in 2022 obviously hasn’t learnt there lesson from making every film a HBOMAX day and date release in 2021. They’ve shot themselves in both feet now by not making it a case by case basis after the disaster last year.

Edited by VENOM
  • Like 1

Can the fact that Morbius 2 is more or less poorly received in theaters benefit Fantastic Beasts 3? Here in Europe, Morbius is not expected, FB3 is much more so, I don't realize its possible impact in the US.

Edited by Noiret Jak

4 minutes ago, Noiret Jak said:

Can the fact that Morbius 2 is more or less poorly received in theaters benefit Fantastic Beasts 3? Here in Europe, Morbius is not expected, FB3 is much more so, I don't realize its possible impact in the US.

it hasn't even released in theaters yet! lets wait to see how audiences like it first

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I just learned of this movie's existence upon reading your post and thus do not feel I have sufficient basis to make a prediction.

Speaking of, I just watched The Bad Guys and I think it will join the list of Dreamworks's movies that almost nobody watched on theatres, yet it gained followers with the years. 
It's not a masterpiece, but is really funny and I had such a good time with it, and was entertained from minute 1 till the credits.
It had the right amount of ridiculousness without going over the top.
7.5/10, Mr Wolf is now one of my favorite DW characters.

• Like 3

Lost City is having a pretty great Saturday here (Canada), it's close to passing true Friday's number, will outdo it by a significant margin. Now, if that's enough to go as high as, say, 13M for Saturday is hard to say. East Coast evening shows have barely started, and this is VERY much a walk-up movie.

Current predictions for the big openers:

Morbius - 43/102

Sonic - 66/190

Ambulance - 12/31

Fantastic Beasts - 36/90

Father Stu - 8/12/25

The Bad Guys - 18/61

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Morbius - 43/102

Sonic - 66/190

Ambulance - 12/31

Fantastic Beasts - 36/90

The Bad Guys - 18/61

Morbius - 45m/100m (the good Ol’ Sony fudge days returns)

Sonic 2 - 55m/140m (I think Ambulance taking the bulk of the PLFs is going to hurt this OW, which I think this will need due to being fan driven.)

AmbuLAnce - 16m/40m 

Beasts - 35m/90m

Father Stu - 10m/25m

Bad Guys - 16m/55m

Edited by YourMother

13 minutes ago, CJohn said:

62/140 for Morbius

60/201 for Sonic
28/80 for Ambulance

53/153 for Fantastic Beasts
16/48 for The Bad Guys