Eric Furiosa

Weekend Thread (3/25-27) | Asgard 2 says 11.75 Sat for Lost City

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Does original mean can't be based off a book even?  

In that case, you would have to have just a perfect combination of concept, star, director and early buzz.  

I think something like Inception would have been around $85m inflation adjusted.   

yeah no existing source material or previous movies at all

Secret Life of Pets did it.  Inside Out got to $90m and would be $100m today.  Zootopia next at $75m.  Us at $71m.  The Incredibles at $70m.  The Day After Tomorrow at $68m.  Brave at $66m.  2012 at $65m.  Wall-E at $63m.  Inception at $62m.  

That list basically tells you it would need to be Pixar (how stupid is Chapek taking their films out of theaters), a disaster movie or something like giant director/actor/high concept (Nolan/DiCaprio/Inception).  

• Like 6

I am surprised we have not had a big-budget "original" superhero film since 2008's HANCOCK. I feel like the right combo of things could really blow something up. 

Beyond the ceiling is even more difficult to envision. 2001's PEARL HARBOR is the last "original" (if you can even call it that) to open in the top 5 all time. If discount that one, I think you have to go all the way back to 1996's INDEPENDENCE DAY. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Does original mean can't be based off a book even?  

I actually have a question for you, regarding originality. How the hell are the original writers of Romancing The Stone not get credit for Lost City as a story by or original story by? 😂 Because I’m pretty sure 70% of that movie is like scene for scene. Do you have any insider info on that? Because I am truly perplexed. 

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Depending who you ask, Passion of the Christ is fictional

Many (most?) narrative elements sure, but it's probably fringe position among academics to think there wasn't a historical Jesus.

Edited by Jiffy

No I think a plurality protestant sect believes that Jesus was literally Mel Gibson.   

In more serious, historical adaptations are the major grey zone for me when it comes to "original." Like, sure, it's not based on any pre-existing media work, but... didn't exactly spring forth unshaped from your imagination either, now did it?

11 minutes ago, Villain Legion said:

One notch worse than I expected tbh but not actively bad for an adult movie gpxs4t35lnp81.jpg

Hmm that is lower than I thought it'd be. Should still be fine for $30m+ and good legs to get past $100m dom (I would suspect)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Secret Life of Pets did it.  Inside Out got to $90m and would be $100m today.  Zootopia next at $75m.  Us at $71m.  The Incredibles at $70m.  The Day After Tomorrow at $68m.  Brave at $66m.  2012 at $65m.  Wall-E at $63m.  Inception at $62m.  

That list basically tells you it would need to be Pixar (how stupid is Chapek taking their films out of theaters), a disaster movie or something like giant director/actor/high concept (Nolan/DiCaprio/Inception).  

Don’t forgot Kung Fu Panda and Nemo

5 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Yeah, that's the funny thing. So weird to dismiss it or imply any studio would be discouraged by it. 30s is literally in line with Bullock's openings and pre-pandemic comedies or higher like The Upside (20.3m), Good Boys (21.4m), Night School (27.2m), Trainwreck (30m), Girls Trips (31.2m)

Universal would love a 30m for Bros (their Apatow produced comedy this Sept). 

30M would also be

2x of Tag (14.9M)

1.8x of Game Night (17M)

1.7x of How To Be Single (17.8M)

1.5x of Blockers (20M)

1.3x of Bad Moms (23.8M)

• Astonished 1