YM!

April 8th-10th Weekend Thread | $72m OW Sonic 2, biggest Paramount opener since 2014, $8.69m OW for AmbuLAnce, $6m+ for EEAAO

13 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

It's not gonna be an Oscar player. Even if it was a more traditional oscar film, A24 sucks at campaigning now-a-days.

This movie is getting Parasite-level reception from audiences. A24's campaign wouldn't have to be that strong if the movie maintains audience buzz into the fall.

18 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

This movie is getting Parasite-level reception from audiences. A24's campaign wouldn't have to be that strong if the movie maintains audience buzz into the fall.

Which it won't. Parasite had much stronger critical reception too, so this isn't going anywhere. This is just the time of year when people cling on to a new film and NEED it to be an awards contender. Like Midsommar or Hereditary. By the time we get to actual contenders in Cannes, Venice, TIFF, and Telluride, the buzz will have vanished.

11 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Guardians of The Galaxy 1 and 2. Iron Man 3. Black Panther.

Black Panther has awful CGI and I don't feel the same level of voice Creed and Fruitvale had.

Michael Bay needs to explode things with drones and be as insane and evil as possible. I don't see how that style would apply to the MCU at all

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

An 8.8 average for this on RT. That’s incredible. 

I hate saying this but I can't help but feel that this movie is SLIGHTLY overhyped. I really really liked it, it's definitely top 3 of the year so far for me. But it's like when I first watched Jaws; the movie had been hyped up for me by so many people for so many years as one of the best of all time.

And then I watched it and... I liked it. But I couldn't help but feel that the insane expectations that had been placed on it had somewhat muted my initial enjoyment of it. I've grown to appreciate it more since then, as I'm sure I will with EEAAO, but for now I'm thinking "yea, it was good."

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I hate saying this but I can't help but feel that this movie is SLIGHTLY overhyped. I really really liked it, it's definitely top 3 of the year so far for me. But it's like when I first watched Jaws; the movie had been hyped up for me by so many people for so many years as one of the best of all time.

And then I watched it and... I liked it. But I couldn't help but feel that the insane expectations that had been placed on it had somewhat muted my initial enjoyment of it. I've grown to appreciate it more since then, as I'm sure I will with EEAAO, but for now I'm thinking "yea, it was good."

First you cause a furore on reddit, now you're dissing Jaws? Oh my friend, I had such high hopes for you 😢😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

First you cause a furore on reddit, now you're dissing Jaws? Oh my friend, I had such high hopes for you 😢😉

@DAJK as he watches the carnage he has unleashed:

6c0ypz.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Personally I think Everything Everywhere should be in the Oscar conversation definitely. It hits an emotional high that most Oscar bait wishes they could achieve. But yeah considering it's pretty wacky and idk if A24 will push it far at the very least Michelle Yeoh should get a nom.

• Like 3

feels like the mario movie is under-discussed as one of the biggest potential grossers of the year. if sonic can pull 200+ i think 300-350 is more than realistic for it, especially if it's even halfway decent 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Who do I need to blackmail for some Saturday juice?

You’ve already gotten yourself in deep with the Amy Rose stuff lol.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Sonic 2's success is obviously all the women lining up to see Idris Elba as Knuckles.

I mean from what we’ve seen from the movies and trailers, he is good with his fists 😏

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 2

I felt the perfect expansion date for EEAAO was Easter, since you get a Good Friday boost, but I think its awards prospects will be fine regardless. It’s clear there’s a lot of passion for the film. The kind that won’t really leave unless this year’s film festivals are full of absolute bangers, which…yeah it’s possible, but would require a bunch of awards hopefuls to go absolutely right, which is tough.

• Like 3