AniNate

Civil War | A24 | Alex Garland action thriller | 04/12/2024

32 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Uh guys Grace might be right here.

The credits state that the film took archive footage from far right Journalist Andy NGO.

I'm seeing a ton of Tweets gaining traction with this exact screenshot. Andy Ngo is not someone folks should be associated with, and this is a really bad look.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

The fact that this seems to be polarising to certain types of people means that Garland has made a much more interesting film than the trailers suggested.

This is both a good and bad thing. Similar to "Men", Garland could potentially abandon an audience that generally subscribes to his films. People went into Men thinking it would be a pro-feminist film. That couldn't be further from the truth. It was more of a puzzle box film dealing with PTSD from abusive relationships and mythic allegories. The same rule applies here. People are expecting a particular ideologue, but the film doesn't appear to pander to any side. That's going to cause backlash similar to what Grace is doing.

On the positive side, it makes the film a great conversation piece. It might end up being something more timeless than if it were pro this or that.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I'm seeing a ton of Tweets gaining traction with this exact screenshot. Andy Ngo is not someone folks should be associated with, and this is a really bad look.

It’ll just be footage used in a montage, presumably framed as “this is how we got here”. It doesn’t mean the film makers are in bed with the guy, nor will this affect the film in the slightest. They have to credit him for the footage, just like they’re crediting ITN News and the Seven Network. It’s like how a Louis Theroux documentary has to credit some of the far right personalities that he’s interviewed, doesn’t mean he endorses them.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

If you have to dig into the fine print of the credits to make the connection, I don't think it'll mean much past a news cycle. Gotta legally give credit where credit is due, even if it's to a psycho.

3 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

It’ll just be footage used in a montage, presumably framed as “this is how we got here”. It doesn’t mean the film makers are in bed with the guy, nor will this affect the film in the slightest. They have to credit him for the footage, just like they’re crediting ITN News and the Seven Network. It’s like how a Louis Theroux documentary has to credit some of the far right personalities that he’s interviewed, doesn’t mean he endorses them.

Why use his footage in the first place, though? It's a different situation from a documentary.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Annihilation may not have done great from a total box office perspective but its legs really weren't terrible, just off a 3x multiplier. And at its widest release Ex Machina proceeded to have a 3.8x multiplier. Men's were pretty bad obviously but Civil War has much better reviews, and I do think audiences would be more receptive to something closer to a dramatic thriller than people think. This idea that Garland is innately off-putting seems like a lot of projection to me, much like the rest of the pre-viewing discourse surrounding this.

Annihilation got a C on Cinemascore. 

13 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

And a special thanks to Helen Lewis.

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Annihilation got a C on Cinemascore. 

And? They don't always accurately reflect general audience sentiment, at least not maybe the partiality of that audience that did really like it and boosted word of mouth themselves

Just now, AniNate said:

And? They don't always accurately reflect general audience sentiment, at least not maybe the partiality of that audience that did really like it and boosted word of mouth themselves

Its legs weren’t even that great considering how low the OW was. 

Posted (edited)

A lot better than Men's. A 3x does mean at least some people were appreciative of it. 

Heck, A24's been using the movie to promote this one, so clearly they think it has drawing power

Edited by AniNate

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

A lot better than Men's. A 3x does mean at least some people were appreciative of it. 

Heck, A24's been using the movie to promote this one, so clearly they think it has drawing power

I never said there wasn’t appreciation for the movie. All I said is that it’s not really a crowdpleaser. Same goes for Ex Machina. 

38 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Why use his footage in the first place, though? It's a different situation from a documentary.

Wouldn’t be the first time that a film or TV show has used real footage of a far right personality to make a point about the road we’re heading down. 

Unless Garland explicitly uses the clip to paint him in a good light, I don’t see the problem. It’s archive footage, not an ad for Ngo’s YouTube channel.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 3