AniNate

Civil War | A24 | Alex Garland action thriller | 04/12/2024

8 hours ago, dudalb said:

yeah, is ounds more and more like another Sci Fi Futuristic shoot em up.

Nothing wrong with that, except is is a missed opportunity.

I will give it a miss. The "Fallout" series on Amazon Prime seems to be a much better get for some apocalupitc fun.

There’s nothing sci-fi in it. 

8 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I remember The Purge Election Year taking advantage of an upcoming election, which was fine for marketing.

But this movie pitting the right vs the left is going to put off some people just as much as they bring in. I don't see any controversary helping when people can turn on the news and already see Amercans kill each other, and the ringleader of Jan 6th likely walking free due to corrupt courts.

It doesn’t pit the right vs left. It doesn’t mention the right or the left. 

7 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Is character development and worldbuilding really "dumbing down" a plot?

There’s plenty of character development and world building. 

This thread might be more worthwhile and make more sense once more people on here see the film. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The movie gain significant boost in the traction on social media now after the early access. The discourse certainly help the movie as it is now one of the trending topic on twitter but oddly under “politics” section instead of entertainment.

This could be sound of freedom of 2024.

Edited by titanic2187

I thought this was very good. It took me a while to get on board but once I did I saw it all in completely new light. It's a movie about journalism and the geopolitical vagueness is most definitely a feature and not a bug.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

The movie gain significant boost in the traction on social media now after the early access. The discourse certainly help the movie as it is now one of the trending topic on twitter but oddly under “politics” section instead of entertainment.

This could be sound of freedom of 2024.

What, you mean it’s gonna be QAnon fodder?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

The 3rd trailer arrives. 

They refer 93% on RT but it actually drop to 90% after 78 reviews. 

Lmao A24 love misleading the public with their trailers. They know the bad CinemaScore and negative audience reception is coming but they don't care cause it's the only way they can get people to watch their movies. I hopes this makes more than EEAAO. 

• ...wtf 1

39 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Lmao A24 love misleading the public with their trailers. They know the bad CinemaScore and negative audience reception is coming but they don't care cause it's the only way they can get people to watch their movies. I hopes this makes more than EEAAO. 

That’s not a misleading trailer. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 7:34 PM, crazydom said:

The funny thing is that putting in footage from a fascist and giving him a movie credit is about as close to being "political" as Garland gets in the movie.

Not a good look for him!

Seeing this movie will now forever be linked to seeing a movie giving credit to Andy Ngo.

At best, this is a case of the people not vetting their sources before they chose the footage. Still, the optics are not great. 

Posted (edited)

No one has ever cared about who received footage credit at the end of a movie until this one. Whatever the "optics" are they'll be forgotten in a day. 

I honestly haven't heard anything about it beyond this thread. A function of how effective my Twitter filtering has become I guess, but the media so far rightly hasn't been bothering with this pointless "scandal".

Edited by AniNate

17 minutes ago, AniNate said:

No one has ever cared about who received footage credit at the end of a movie until this one. Whatever the "optics" are they'll be forgotten in a day. 

I honestly haven't heard anything about it beyond this thread. A function of how effective my Twitter filtering has become I guess, but the media so far rightly hasn't been bothering with this pointless "scandal".

Yeah, this won't move the needle in any direction.

54 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Looking around 2.5-3mil based on the tracking thread, which would be pretty solid. It's still before noon on the East coast and first showings aren't until 4ish so no walkup data yet.

So around a $24 million opening and $60 million domestic finish? Betting it slightly overperforms overseas. 

I do think legs might be better than people think. It doesn't seem like a Beau is Afraid kind of audience alienating. I definitely don't believe a focus on journalism would necessarily be a turnoff for general audiences.

• Like 2

seen it

Knowing about  Dream Baby Dream by rock band Suicide and that British guy Adam Curtis used it in his 2016 documentary "HyperNormalisation"  will help, I guess

From imdb: "Adam Curtis explains how, at a time of confusing and inexplicable world events, politicians and the people they represent have retreated in to a damaging over-simplified version of what is happening".

It's shocking how wrong Sasha Stone's opinion on this movie. And I'm not talking about "this movie bad/good" takes. There is a lot of questionable things the rebels do in the movie and it looks like she believes Garland truly cheers for it and applauds the violence against "trumpers"  to please the-far-left's wet dreams. oh well

P.S. I have trouble editing my post. Don't know why it looks like this

Edited by cinema pal