AniNate

Civil War | A24 | Alex Garland action thriller | 04/12/2024

I still think people have too narrow-minded a point of view in regards to potential alliances being struck - albeit I don't think this film in and of itself has a solid reasoning behind it, it seems foolish to me to overfixate on Texas-California when all through history alliances have been struck even between factions who were actually killing each other right before the fact.

• Like 3

On 4/4/2024 at 6:36 PM, Speedorito said:

This movie is going to disappoint anyone expecting any remotely meaningful political discourse or even just big explosions. It’s not really about war or America or any of that stuff. It’s primarily about (photo)journalism.

If you want explosions like in White House Down, you’ve seen all two of them in the trailers. If you want any sort of reasoning behind a Cali-Texas alliance you’ll have to use your imagination. The film wouldn’t be very different if it took place in Genovia.

Purge: Election Year has more to say politically than this film.

To be clear, I actually have seen this film already. My comments about the Purge film were hyperbolic of course, but the film really doesn’t have much to say politically. If anything, the war is set in America for shock value and to make it more relatable (and marketable) than setting it in a generic Middle Eastern country.

24 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I still think people have too narrow-minded a point of view in regards to potential alliances being struck - albeit I don't think this film in and of itself has a solid reasoning behind it, it seems foolish to me to overfixate on Texas-California when all through history alliances have been struck even between factions who were actually killing each other right before the fact.

I’d say the issue is less that there’s little context behind the alliances, or even why the war even broke out, but that the factions are sort of indistinguishable. The obvious rebuttal would be “the point is that we’re all humans and war is bad” (and maybe some people need that reminder) but it came off as…amateurish.

At the end of the day if you’re arguing about the politics you’ve already fallen for the marketing hype.

13 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

To be clear, I actually have seen this film already. My comments about the Purge film were hyperbolic of course, but the film really doesn’t have much to say politically. If anything, the war is set in America for shock value and to make it more relatable (and marketable) than setting it in a generic Middle Eastern country.

I’d say the issue is less that there’s little context behind the alliances, or even why the war even broke out, but that the factions are sort of indistinguishable. The obvious rebuttal would be “the point is that we’re all humans and war is bad” (and maybe some people need that reminder) but it came off as…amateurish.

At the end of the day if you’re arguing about the politics you’ve already fallen for the marketing hype.

So, having seen the film, the movie is all hype, no delivery?  Disappointing, but what I expected when I thought $10-$15M OW after seeing the trailer and the film title.  I checked this thread to see if my gut feelings from the trailers differed from folks' experiences, since I thought someone must have gotten to see this early...

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, having seen the film, the movie is all hype, no delivery?  Disappointing, but what I expected when I thought $10-$15M OW after seeing the trailer and the film title.  I checked this thread to see if my gut feelings from the trailers differed from folks' experiences, since I thought someone must have gotten to see this early...

I wouldn’t say “no delivery,” it’s still an interesting film. Just not really a war film or a political film.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I wouldn’t say “no delivery,” it’s still an interesting film. Just not really a war film or a political film.

So, what is this movie?  Is it just a road trip movie looking at different parts of this Civil War? But, you have no idea why its happening or why you should care about the war?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

So, what is this movie?  Is it just a road trip movie looking at different parts of this Civil War? But, you have no idea why its happening or why you should care about the war?

It's a movie where the Griswold family has to drive all the way from Chicago to LA to visit Walley World in the rebellious California province. Along the way they encounter murder, cannibalism, and Cousin Ed gets infected by Cordyceps and turns into a zombie. On the plus side Christie Brinkley is an immortal radioactive vampire and finally does it with Clark.

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

It's a movie where the Griswold family has to drive all the way from Chicago to LA to visit Walley World in the rebellious California province. Along the way they encounter murder, cannibalism, and Cousin Ed gets infected by Cordyceps and turns into a zombie. On the plus side Christie Brinkley is an immortal radioactive vampire and finally does it with Clark.

This should have been the National Lampoon's Vacation remake not that Ed Helms thing.

• Haha 2

Without having seen the movie yet for myself, I think if you’re going to make a movie involving a fictional war, without bothering to clarify the whys and the hows behind it, you might as well have it take place in an entirely fictional setting, instead of setting it in the contemporary United States during an extremely divided election year, and calling it Civil War. That just makes it sound like they’re deliberately setting up the audience’s expectations. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Spoiler

It’s more about the ethics of war journalism. Is this helpful or exploitative? How far are these journalists willing to go for “the money shot”? Do they actually care about the war and the victims? Should they be taking a stance or staying neutral? Etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Speedorito said:

Like I said I'm not saying this film gives the whole thing context, I'm just saying being against it on principle is a silly thing to do when weirder alliances have been struck through history.

Though for a film that isn't interested in taking a political stance on the matter...eh, maybe stick to something people can imagine more easily, you know?

21 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Does A24 actually think this film is going to be a Box Office hit? It's not even looking like it'll reach #1 on a weekend with no major releases.

Who cares, it's great that A24 is committing to a big release of their biggest budget film!

Anyway my IMAX showing of Civil War tomorrow is half full currently. If you think its doing sub $15M OW i think you are underestimating it by quite a bit imo.

On 4/7/2024 at 1:23 PM, Speedorito said:

Honestly I'd say this is the point really. Would people really be politically affected by another war film set in another country? Or would they in their own country? People can be easily swayed by "propaganda" so placing the film in the US will do something to your brain in a "it could happen here" type of way. Whether or not it says anything specific politically is beside the point.