AniNate

Civil War | A24 | Alex Garland action thriller | 04/12/2024

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

IMAX previews just went on sale for anyone in the UK who wants to see this next Tuesday instead of the 26th. 

It’s out properly on the 12th in the UK I believe, tickets have been on sale for a couple of weeks near me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

It’s out properly on the 12th in the UK I believe, tickets have been on sale for a couple of weeks near me.

Whoops! 

I booked the early screening. Didn’t like Men or Annihilation but this looks promising. 

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Yeah it's the media's fault. It's not like we have insurrectionists or anything.

Fox News is part of the media, and I think it absolutely played a part in emboldening people like that. 

In all seriousness, my early 2000's self is thrilled to see Kirsten Dunst on the cover of a major mag.

For real. Tobey McGuire + Kirsten Dunst "Spider-man Returns" would be H.U.G.E.

Edited by excel1

26 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Fox News is part of the media, and I think it absolutely played a part in emboldening people like that. 

Then she should specifically say Fox News not "the media" cause those suggest two different things. 

Ultimately the big lie was pushed by certain right wing politicians and lawyers ever since the 2020 election. They were even preparing before the election in case Trump lost.

The media is divisive but nothing is more inciteful than the big lie. 70% of Republicans believing our elections are rigged is pouring gasoline on the fire.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Then she should specifically say Fox News not "the media" cause those suggest two different things. 

Ultimately the big lie was pushed by certain right wing politicians and lawyers ever since the 2020 election. They were even preparing before the election in case Trump lost.

The media is divisive but nothing is more inciteful than the big lie. 70% of Republicans believing our elections are rigged is pouring gasoline on the fire.

Nothing she said was untrue. This attitude that "your side" is completely blameless is part of the problem as well. The climate isn't just about the stolen election narrative, it's about an absolute refusal to engage in good faith with people who don't share your worldview. Right now that's manifesting much more topically in regards to a certain actual war going on 6000 miles east. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Nothing she said was untrue. This attitude that "your side" is completely blameless is part of the problem as well. The climate isn't just about the stolen election narrative, it's about an absolute refusal to engage in good faith with people who don't share your worldview. 

Both sidesism just absolves the far right who have been itching for a 2nd Civil War since forever.

You really think progressives are equally responsible? What have progressives done that suggest they want a civil war?

Protect voting rights? Tighter gun control? Co-exist bumper and peace sign bumper stickers?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Those 70% were radicalized by mass media

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Both sidesism just absolves the far right who have been itching for a 2nd Civil War since forever.

You really think progressives are equally responsible? What have progressives done that suggest they want a civil war?

Protect voting rights? Tighter gun control? Co-exist bumper and peace sign bumper stickers?

I never said they were equally responsible, but they do indulge too easily in low-effort unpersuasive rhetoric like this that just drives everyone further into their camps. You may be on the right side of history but you still have a responsibility to engage your adversaries with intelligence and understanding in order to actually achieve your goals and prevent resentment from festering, which is often something that leads to civil wars in real life. 

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I never said they were equally responsible, but they do indulge too easily in low-effort unpersuasive rhetoric like this that just drives everyone further into their camps. You may be on the right side of history but you still have a responsibility to engage your adversaries with intelligence and understanding in order to actually achieve your goals and prevent resentment from festering, which is often something that leads to civil wars in real life. 

I don't think sugar coating thing does anything except allow people to comfortably live in denial.

I'm not calling anyone stupid or evil. I'm simply pointing out that one side is actively pushing for a civil war. I'm not going to lie and suggest otherwise.

That's like saying appeasement is the best way to stop fascism.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

I don't think sugar coating thing does anything except allow people to comfortably live in denial.

I'm not calling anyone stupid or evil. I'm simply pointing out that one side is actively pushing for a civil war. I'm not going to lie and suggest otherwise.

That's like saying appeasement is the best way to stop fascism.

Following the fascism analogy to its logical conclusion, it seems you do in fact see war as the most viable option. Clearly it isn't just a one-sided desire.

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Following the fascism analogy to its logical conclusion, it seems you do in fact see war as the most viable option. Clearly it isn't just a one-sided desire.

Fascism doesn't stop by itself. It's either fight back or accept your new dictatorship. 

In other words, at some point there are no other options.

20 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

This whole conversation is why I don't think Civil War will play well outside of cities like SF, LA, and NYC. 

Why is that?

What about the prepping community?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Fascism doesn't stop by itself. It's either fight back or accept your new dictatorship. 

In other words, at some point there are no other options.

I can understand and respect this perspective to a certain extent, just be honest about it.

I do believe the US isn't that far gone yet though. There are 330 million people in this country and most of them just want to live quiet healthy lives with a spouse and 2.5 kids. But the whole media, not just Fox News, is incentivized to foster the "us vs them" narrative and amplify the most dramatic incidents and personalities, and if we do actually want avoid a war we need to be willing to think critically and independently and resist the temptation to frame the conflict as a rigid binary.

I will say if that guy wins in November, that might be the tipping point for me. But I'll cross that bridge when we hopefully never get to it. As of right now he's well within his rights to continue running, even if he is frustratingly exploiting every inch of bureaucracy in the efforts to stop him. There are more than enough public personalities already highlighting the danger he is to society that I don't think a Hollywood movie is gonna make a difference either way, but I think one that is more interested in a less propaganda-driven psychological focus is a little more unique in this climate. 

Edited by AniNate