AniNate

Civil War | A24 | Alex Garland action thriller | 04/12/2024

31 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

More fun staff

"the film is poorly researched"

"it doesn't understand America today".

Well the movie is not about "today America"

oh well

As much as I dislke Grace Randloph she has one point right; Nobody who really understood American politics would have California and Texas as allies.

• Like 1

Just now, dudalb said:

As much as I dislke Grace Randloph she has one point right; Nobody who really understood American politics would have California and Texas as allies.

I don't understand why they didn't just make Texas and Florida allies in the film. Should have been a no brainer.

1 minute ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Guess will have to judge the movie on its own.

As for grace Randolph. She always blows shit out of proportion.

She clearly wanted to it to be something it wasn't meant to be.

" Refused to take a stance" .......

If that's how Grace reacts... How would a reviewer who is much more political like moviebob on the left or Ben Shapiro on the right react?

1 minute ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Guess will have to judge the movie on its own.

As for grace Randolph. She always blows shit out of proportion.

She clearly wanted to it to be something it wasn't meant to be.

" Refused to take a stance" .......

I think a film about a potential CIvil War in America that does not take a political stand is very much chickening out and makes the whle exercise meaningless except as just another shoot em up.

One of the very, very, very, few times I think Randolph has a point, and even then she expresses it very badly.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

OMG this is the most hilarious 20 minutes i had this week, she doesn’t have any skills to deal with movies i love her 

I will watch it later, but the notes alone  are hilarious 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

well, not really, I've been reading her for more than 10 years. She was liberal once and now she identifies in the middle (kinda, but  not really, hehe). Sasha just don't like people on the left right now and fighting 'hive mind' of twitter )) 

I have come to the opinion that both the left and right  in the USA are full of loons.

I didn’t even watch the movie yet but i’m already glad it exists just because after decades of Hollywood portraying foreign politics (and cultures) in the most insane ways and audiences applauding because “it’s just a movie”, now i’m seeing very clearly a movie depicting US politics as a distopian fantasy to make a general point and people are crying that it’s not historically realistic 

Very funny how being a movie is not an excuse when the fantastical narrative is about you haha  

Sadly it releases here in Brazil only next weekend so i have to wait, but i think i liked all Garland movies so far, especially Annihilation

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Florida and California thing is also one line of dialogue. Sneeze and you’d miss it.

But the internet is going to internet. 

I think with this film you should withhold most of your comments until you’ve seen it. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

If that's how Grace reacts... How would a reviewer who is much more political like moviebob on the left or Ben Shapiro on the right react?

Honestly don't care . Will watch campea,harloff you average Joe critics any other day than so political bias critics who turn molehills into mountains .

Tbh Grace ain't over  political as some of the rest ,but they are times she can get frustrating.

I'm not into American politics that much and even I know making Texas and allies  doesn't make sense. Think garland knows that too.

It's clearly fiction or alt history maybe .

Based on reviews atleast It seems this movie doesn't really pick a side or take a stance and didn't want to.

It's just a movie.

Edited by Liiviig 1998

43 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Garland already explained this in interview (though he was hesitant to do so): political differences don't matter that much, when there  is authoritarian threat in place (“There is a fascist president who smashed the Constitution and attacked [American] citizens.')

Again, this not today-America here

Edited by cinema pal

5 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

If it's an alternate history the movie itself should make it clear.

Why does everything have to be dumbed down / explained / made obvious though? 

The film doesn’t mention or reference the real history of America. 

I was looking forward to seeing this earlier this evening. And then I got given my apprenticeship results this afternoon and decided to celebrate at the pub instead 😁

Guess I’m even more hyped to see it next week!!

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Why does everything have to be dumbed down / explained / made obvious though? 

The film doesn’t mention or reference the real history of America. 

When you are dealing with something as politically charged as this film does it's best to clarify so the film doesn't rile up any bad does. 

2 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

When you are dealing with something as politically charged as this film does it's best to clarify so the film doesn't rile up any bad does. 

I couldn’t disagree more. 

15 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

If it's an alternate history the movie itself should make it clear. Grace going after the worldbuilding is a totally valid critique, against some other less valid critiques and her own misconceptions.

I will watch it in a couple of days, but it seems to me the movie's concern is not a political landscape at all, but journalism at the center of the story and ugly things war invoke in people. For some viewers that's not enough for a compelling story, I get it