AniNate

Civil War | A24 | Alex Garland action thriller | 04/12/2024

3 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

This whole conversation is why I don't think Civil War will play well outside of cities like SF, LA, and NYC. 

Irony is they seem to have tried to  neuter the film as fall as polirical content goes..which makes is just another post apoc style shoot them up as far I am concerned.

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Both sidesism just absolves the far right who have been itching for a 2nd Civil War since forever.

You really think progressives are equally responsible? What have progressives done that suggest they want a civil war?

Protect voting rights? Tighter gun control? Co-exist bumper and peace sign bumper stickers?

Oh, the far right is the worst offender but I have seen some on the far left who are just as bad, except their term for the Second Cicil war is 'The Revolution".

I am sick and tired of this crap of only seeing evil and stupidiy on one side of the political spectrum and ignoring that on the side that you favor.

• Like 3

For real.

some Dems 2017-2020: NOT MY PRESIDENT / RUSSIA RIGGED IT FOR DT

same Dems 2021 onwards: STOP PUSHING THE BIG LIE YOURE UNDERMINING DEMOCRACY 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Irony is they seem to have tried to  neuter the film as fall as polirical content goes..which makes is just another post apoc style shoot them up as far I am concerned.

I don't get the sense that this is a "shoot-em-up" but I haven't been hyper focused on it. To throw a random film that's been on my mind for three or four completely unrelated reasons, isn't it going to be something more like Blood Diamond (or at least a version of Blood Diamond where the girl instead of Leo was the main character). I could be completely off there but that's just the vibe I've been getting. 

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Oh, the far right is the worst offender but I have seen some on the far left who are just as bad, except their term for the Second Cicil war is 'The Revolution".

I am sick and tired of this crap of only seeing evil and stupidiy on one side of the political spectrum and ignoring that on the side that you favor.

It's intellectually dishonest to pretend like both sides are equally inciting a civil war or pushing authoritarianism. The far left is a fraction of progressives and liberals. 

Who is stocking up on guns? Who has hundreds of militias? Who staged a coup at our capitol? Who's planning Project 2025? Who believes the big lie and is denouncing democracy? Who's pushing a modern theocracy?

It's not the vast majority of progressives/liberals/democrats.

Both sidesism makes sense when it comes to Obama vs Bush's neoconservative mideast policy but when it come to pushing christofascism/authoritarianism or insurrection it's not even close.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 2

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

For real.

some Dems 2017-2020: NOT MY PRESIDENT / RUSSIA RIGGED IT FOR DT

same Dems 2021 onwards: STOP PUSHING THE BIG LIE YOURE UNDERMINING DEMOCRACY 

Why do you think Republicans aren't pushing a congressional hearing or investigation about 2020 election fraud?

Because they know it's total bull.

Democrats had an investigation because that's what you're supposed to do when you truly believe there was wrong doing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Why do you think Republicans aren't pushing a congressional hearing or investigation about 2020 election fraud?

Because they know it's total bull.

Democrats had an investigation because that's what you're supposed to do when you truly believe there was wrong doing.

90% of this eras republicans are pathetically weak. Raise your hand if you EVER thought you would become a fan and supporter of liz Cheney for anything. Me neither, but here we are.

Moderation

I probably should have done this sooner, but we don't need this "right vs. left" or "both sides" stuff anymore. It's more appropriate for the politics thread, so might as well migrate that kind of conversation over there.

• Like 2

I figured certain specific political detours were inevitable, just tried to steer it back to the movie as much as I could. 

Godspeed to the mods next week when it's likely going to be the #1 topic

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I think the biggest misstep this film has made so far is in the marketing with the map of the United States. It makes absolutely no sense the more you look at it.

Considering the filmmaker is British, he might not be expected to have an... instinctual grasp on such things.

However I get the vibe that the background reasons for why war breaks out in Civil War are relatively unimportant to the story Alex Garland wants to tell, which presumably is the human cost of war.  Only a vibe I'm getting mind as I'm relatively checked out on this movie.

One of the reasons I've been saying we should wait until the movie comes out before... critiquing it/saying it has nothing to say is that it might be saying something not about the current political situation in the US/West, but that, to coin a phrase, War is Hell.

And stories exploring Hell are as old as time itself.  Or to put it another way:  How someone got to Hell might not be as important to a storyteller as what they do inside Hell/navigate Hell once they get there.

(now if you're just talking about marketing, fair does.  But then again, it sure is driving conversation, inn't?)

I for one and excited to see this. Covid really got the creative juices flowing some and its exciting to see

• Like 1

This movie is going to disappoint anyone expecting any remotely meaningful political discourse or even just big explosions. It’s not really about war or America or any of that stuff. It’s primarily about (photo)journalism.

If you want explosions like in White House Down, you’ve seen all two of them in the trailers. If you want any sort of reasoning behind a Cali-Texas alliance you’ll have to use your imagination. The film wouldn’t be very different if it took place in Genovia.

Purge: Election Year has more to say politically than this film.

• Like 1

Regarding the complaints about the factions in this film, I understand that it doesn't fit realistic terms.

However, that's the beauty of films: They don't have to fit with the mold of reality. I'm viewing this film as though it were an alternate timeline of events. My location probably wouldn't align with the likes of New York or Illinois in reality, but this isn't based on reality.

It's a movie. Thankfully, this kind of stuff isn't happening right now.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 4:52 PM, grey ghost said:

Who is stocking up on guns? Who has hundreds of militias? 

Stocking up on self defense equipment is not necessarily a bad thing. Especially in a time of increasing inflation, crime, poverty, and wealth inequality. 

28 minutes ago, Becker said:

Stocking up on self defense equipment is not necessarily a bad thing. Especially in a time of increasing inflation, crime, poverty, and wealth inequality. 

Unstable and easily influenced people who storm government buildings stocking up on weapons to incite violence is clearly a bad thing.

America is far from the only country (Western or otherwise) with those things you listed. An AK-47 doesn’t make the price of eggs go down.

• Like 1