AniNate

Civil War | A24 | Alex Garland action thriller | 04/12/2024

10 hours ago, TinaDuraes said:

So curious for the CinemaScore. No idea what to expect.

Like most of A24 movies, a bad CinemaScore should be expected. I hope to be wrong this time, though. Gonna be watching this one in the next hours. So, let's see what happens.

On 4/9/2024 at 11:36 PM, Speedorito said:

I’m terrible at predicting Cinemascores for anything that’s not a franchise blockbuster, but I wouldn’t be surprised by if it lands in the C range. Maybe a B-.

Really depends on how misled people feel and how they respond to the ending.

Yay I got it.

Good movie. Can some one assure me that not all that b-roll footage at the beginning was real? If you’ve seen the movie you know which one in particular I’m talking about.

Really enjoyed this.

After watching the movie all the hand wringing is kind of laughable because the movie is forcing certain audiences who had a narrative going in to try force their views onto a film that's about something else entirely and making them look foolish.

It's hard not to get into depth about it without spoilers. But it's not the film you think it is, purposely toying with that while delivering something else and it's very well done 

8/10

• Like 2

Really dug this a lot, great in IMAX for the sound alone. Felt like I was in a real war zone with how LOUD it was. Wish it's themes and ideas tied together a bit more cohesively but it was a very visceral experience.

Keep Garland out of the press though, because none of what he intended or is saying about the film comes through AT ALL and I'm baffled as to what he's talking about. How is this a veneration of journalists?

Just an observation, but it's interesting to me how the only people who haaaaaate this movie are also the ones most online (esp on twitter). 

Edited by TheDude391
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Garland himself doesn't seem to enjoy doing press much, but he's maybe a little too polite and accommodating about it. He mentioned that being a reason why he's pulling back from lead directing projects. I can only hope some of his more nuanced and uncomfortable ideas still shine through somehow on that biopic of his military consultant they're doing next.

Edited by AniNate

1 hour ago, TheDude391 said:

Just an observation, but it's interesting to me how the only people who haaaaaate this movie are also the ones most online (esp on twitter). 

The old RT ratings split between “all critics” and “top critics” almost feels obsolete now; it should be between “chronically online critics” and “print only critics”, since it almost feels like each group is carrying completely different baggage with them

• Like 2

Saw this last night and thought it was excellent. Very tense throughout with a hell of a third act. 

The whole controversy around the film “needing to take a stand” or “choosing a side” feels so obsolete when you actually watch it. It’s very purposefully not about taking a specific side and just viewing it from the perspective of journalists who are just there to observe and get the best photographs, the characters don’t care who wins, they just want to be there to document it and so they’ve stuck with the side that is least hostile towards journalists.

It’s also much more interesting to see a film like this set in the US rather than an actual real life war zone, if this had been set in the Middle East it’d have been far less interesting (at least to me), whereas setting it in a developed first world country gives it a surreal sense of familiarity to the events. It also didn’t need to be “red vs blue states”, never once did I question the story’s internal logic of who ended up siding with who, you just accept that in a catastrophically divided fictional America, maybe Texas and California might have something in common in terms of uniting against a dictator president who self declares himself the winner of a third term.

Spoiler

Also that scene that triggered Grace Randolph so much just proves that her media literacy is non-existent. That was the whole point of that scene, you’d have thought that the intentionally jarring upbeat music and shots of people smiling after doing something horrific would’ve been enough to spell it out to her, but I guess not…

For me this was a strong return to form for Garland after how much I disliked Men. Hope he returns to directing after he’s done writing the 28 Days Later sequels.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Hide contents

Also that scene that triggered Grace Randolph so much just proves that her media literacy is non-existent. That was the whole point of that scene, you’d have thought that the intentionally jarring upbeat music and shots of people smiling after doing something horrific would’ve been enough to spell it out to her, but I guess not…

or let's have look at Sasha Stone. She saw only leftist crusade against Trump with demonizing his supporters as racists. Also she found the film to be WOKE because  "two female leads and no white men among protagonists". I wonder if Wagner Moura's  adrenaline junkie character was white - would she see that as white-men-bashing? 

The film is really fascinating in the way it shows viewer's biases

Edited by cinema pal
  • Like 1

I don’t know why anyone would act like this film has nothing political to say. It clearly does. It just doesn't go out of its way to spell it out for you. The Texas/California thing is still silly, but the meaning behind it isn’t difficult to grasp. 

• Like 3