AniNate

Civil War | A24 | Alex Garland action thriller | 04/12/2024

So far all 3 rotten review are from top critics from 47 reviews. Rise to 94% but i think it will come down to 80%+ since I saw few negative reaction which will soon turn to negative review.

13 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Honestly I'd say this is the point really. Would people really be politically affected by another war film set in another country? Or would they in their own country? People can be easily swayed by "propaganda" so placing the film in the US will do something to your brain in a "it could happen here" type of way. Whether or not it says anything specific politically is beside the point.

Agreed. The fact that it’s in the US is what makes it more interesting as a concept. As someone from the UK, I don’t really care about the internal politics of the movie itself or why California is teaming up with Texas, all I care about is that there’s a story built around that concept. That whole discourse feels like a uniquely American complaint against a film that most people haven’t even seen yet (see also Joker which had insane controversy in the US, but didn’t elsewhere).

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Grace is incapable of enjoying films that aren’t necessarily uplifting etc. This obviously made her feel a certain way and she’s taking it out on the film. 

I mean she loved Joker very much as far as I remember, so I guess it's case by case for her, even if she preferes uplifting stuff in general.

4 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I mean she loved Joker very much as far as I remember, so I guess it's case by case for her, even if she preferes uplifting stuff in general.

Oh well I must be completely wrong then. 

• Haha 1

I think this kind of reaction is what the film will get a lot of, from people who don’t fully understand it or those who don’t “agree” with it or feel offended. It’ll no doubt be reflected in the cinemascore. With the addition of people not really knowing what they’re in for too.

And I’m not saying those are the only reasons someone might not like it, but it’s Grace’s anger and outrage lol rather than just dislike of the film. 

Seeing it in IMAX tonight. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I’ve come to grudgingly admire Randolph. She’s an absolute chancer who lodged herself into online film discourse with nothing but sheer force of will. I respect the hustle 

Cole Smithy wishes he could have done that.

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Oh well I must be completely wrong then. 

Lol if I remember correctly I think she found the real-life scenario around the film to be uplifting with so many incelviduals sympathizing with Joker and making him "feel seen".  So I guess you may still be right.

I can see this getting a C- cinemascore or something, all marketing is making this look like a war movie with conservatives living the secret dream of finally rising up and fighting against liberals in the open but we end up with with a small movie about photography. False marketing is a kiss of death.

I hope I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Grace Randolph has basic taste so her not liking this may or may not be a preview for WOM with general audiences. 

It’s an A24 film from the guy who made Annihilation. It being a crowdpleaser was always a long shot. The fact that it’s being marketed as an action thriller when it apparently isn’t might also bite it in the ass.

Annihilation may not have done great from a total box office perspective but its legs really weren't terrible, just off a 3x multiplier. And at its widest release Ex Machina proceeded to have a 3.8x multiplier. Men's were pretty bad obviously but Civil War has much better reviews, and I do think audiences would be more receptive to something closer to a dramatic thriller than people think. This idea that Garland is innately off-putting seems like a lot of projection to me, much like the rest of the pre-viewing discourse surrounding this.

• Like 1

The fact that this seems to be polarising to certain types of people means that Garland has made a much more interesting film than the trailers suggested. The worst thing he could’ve done from an artistic perspective is make a generic thriller, so to hear that this isn’t that definitely excites me.

Randolph being so incensed by it says to me that he’s done it right. Whether general audiences agree is another matter though.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 1