YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

Will the legs for The Bad Guys actually be good enough to reach 100 million domestic with a 25 million opening? I thought Universal sent all movies with openings under 40 million to VOD two weeks after theatrical. Wouldn't that prevent it from getting a 4x multiplier even with no competition.

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Will the legs for The Bad Guys actually be good enough to reach 100 million domestic with a 25 million opening? I thought Universal sent all movies with openings under 40 million to VOD two weeks after theatrical. Wouldn't that prevent it from getting a 4x multiplier even with no competition.

Sure, Sing 2 managed to do it off its 5 day. It won't be like Encanto where being free on D+ hurt late legs.

Edited by WrathOfHan

35 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I know. Gotta try sometimes though.

Also, i need to throw out every bit of common sense and sense of realism out of me in preparation for the Jurassic World OW where i will probably go bananas.

Is it evil to say, that I am kinda looking forward to it (doesn't really matter which way it goes though).

Aside from that, it seems like outside of Superhero movies barely any other movie is profitable from cinemas alone.

19 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Perfect choice.

He and his younger brother are both crazy about the Jurassic series. Dominion will be their first movie in theaters. They have watched all the movies on Max and Peacock and also watched Camp Cretaceous.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

He and his younger brother are both crazy about the Jurassic series. Dominion will be their first movie in theaters. They have watched all the movies on Max and Peacock and also watched Camp Cretaceous.

That's a dark movie to be the first to watch in theaters - at least from the trailer it seems to be.

2 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Is it evil to say, that I am kinda looking forward to it (doesn't really matter which way it goes though).

It is evil to even think about JW3 doing badly, yes. In der Tat.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Camp Cretacious would have probably been my favourite show ever if i was 9 years old right now. Do they have a favourite movie out of the 5 released so far?

5 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

That's a dark movie to be the first to watch in theaters - at least from the trailer it seems to be.

It is indeed the perfect movie to see first in theaters. Will probably scare them for life be an amazing experience that they will never forget.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

It is evil to even think about JW3 doing badly, yes. In der Tat.

Camp Cretacious would have probably been my favourite show ever if i was 9 years old right now. Do they have a favourite movie out of the 5 released so far?

I guess I am evil then - just want to know what you going bananas will look like😈

But I will try to help prevent it from performing badly - in Germany at least - having a cinema in walking distance is really nice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

It is indeed the perfect movie to see first in theaters. Will probably scare them for life be an amazing experience that they will never forget.

It hopefully will be - just though in comparison I watched a really lame movie in theaters first - Earth (Unsere Erde - I just loved documentaries - I still do).

1 minute ago, Taruseth said:

It hopefully will be - just though in comparison I watched a really lame movie in theaters first - Earth (Unsere Erde - I just loved documentaries - I still do).

For me it was Lars der kleine Eisbär (Lars, the little polar bear) in 2001. Extremely traumatic experience, me and my sister both walked out in tears, embarrassing our parents.

Since that day, i loved cinema.

• Haha 1

For me it was Lars der kleine Eisbär (Lars, the little polar bear) in 2001. Extremely traumatic experience, me and my sister both walked out in tears, embarrassing our parents.

Since that day, i loved cinema.

Awww Lars der kleine Eisbär, how old where you?

So the traumatic experience made you love cinema - interesting.

Awww Lars der kleine Eisbär, how old where you?

So the traumatic experience made you love cinema - interesting.

I was 5. Too young to see Lars beeing all alone on a floating ice sheet.

And all jokes aside, the movies that actually really got me into cinema were the LOTR trilogy and the Harry Potter films when i was a bit older. And when i discovered the Jurassic Park films, my fate had been settled.

I was 5. Too young to see Lars beeing all alone on a floating ice sheet.

And all jokes aside, the movies that actually really got me into cinema were the LOTR trilogy and the Harry Potter films when i was a bit older. And when i discovered the Jurassic Park films, my fate had been settled.

Yeah, so you are only 2 years old than me:)

I don't even know what really got me into cinemas considering I only really started going in 2015 (first movie I watched that year was Inside Out). Movies in general probably those and also in a way Star Trek (and yes the kinda not so good movie from 2009, since then I love Star Trek) before that I only really liked books - I read the books of both Harry Potter and LOTR before watching the films.

And honestly some movies are still really, really sad, might also have to do something with the fact das ich manchmal ganz schön nah am Wasser gebaut bin xD. And kids movies are often really emotional.

Well, anyway, probably should go to bed - it's a quarter to one for both of us.

FB3 will probably not' break even with that performance, will it, Sonic on the other probably will do that from the us gross alone - kinda crazy.

• Like 1

Well, anyway, probably should go to bed - it's a quarter to one for both of us.

Look at what the weekend thread has become - two Germans discussing their personal history with movies with each other and beeing awake way too late.

And all the others have to read it while probably expecting new numbers :redcapes:

• Haha 4

Nice to see Bad Guys doing way better than anybody was predicting a few weeks ago.

Although EEAAO is THE story right now. That a film like this could be headed for the $50 million region when some said indie cinema was relatively over as far as great box office is just wonderful.  There’s some significant signs the US box office is finally starting to get some momentum right now.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

One of the most telling things to me was that I was shopping for Lego sets to gift my nephew for his birthday. There were Lego sets for Batman, Jurassic World, Spider-Man and even Harry Potter (OG series). Nothing for Fantastic Beasts.

Going back to this, Fantastic Beasts is going to be utterly fascinating to look back on with hindsight in a few years, in the context of being part of a massive franchise, yet nobody giving a crap about the story or characters from it. Harry Potter is still a big deal even with all the Rowling controversies. I took some summer classes three years ago, and my college campus hosted a "wizarding camp", full of these Potter-loving 8-12 year olds. Yet FB has left so little impact or intrigue even amongst the majority of the fanbase that I don't even think these kids could name a single character from those movies. And while Potter will still rake in millions of dollars long afterwards, people will probably forget this weird trilogy even exists, despite the source material it's a part of. Can't think of any other franchise/spin-off series like it tbh.