YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

3 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

What are your expectations for Cinemacon next week?

Mine are:

Universal:

- Mario Bros first teaser.

- New Dreamworks projects reveals.

- New trailers for Nope and JW Dominion.

Paramount:

- AQP spinoff title and cast reveal.

- Secret Headquarters teaser

Warner:

- New trailers for Super Pets, Elvis and first trailer for Black Adam

Sony:

- New trailer for Bullet Train and first trailer for Lyle Lyle Cocodrile

Disney:

-Nothing released online, just footage for Lightyear, Thor and Avatar, exclusive for attendees.

Pure guess. They officially announce The Batman sequel.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Joel M said:

You 're right that if you start including stuff with asterisks we 'll end up debating every single stuff and how original it is. But at the same time I think dividing IP vs original stuff in regards to boxoffice has to do with whether a movie succeeds without the help of a pre existing fanbase or pre existing familiarity with the premise.

Even before our IP dominated times half of Hollywood projects were always based on literature or real life events. Some of them were famous enough to give the movie a push but most of them didn't.

Jungle Cruise is an IP as much as Rampage was a video game adaptation. Which technically they both are those things. But how much IP matters or even helps when 99% of the audience has no idea about it. And I'm not saying this for you to change the list you 're posting. it's v helpful as it is.

My main point is that anything that is based on source material isn't automatically IP or helped by pre-existing popularity. A biography of an icon like Elvis might be fair to be grouped with IP but most biographies aren't. Ditto a book that was a huge best seller vs just a book that got turned into a movie.

Ok I'm not arguing that? lol. I agree!

5 hours ago, Elessar said:

I really don't get posts like these. They rub me up the wrong way. We should be glad that there are still people out there willing to spend cash for riskier projects! Especially if they are led by talented filmmakers. Thank frigging God! Instead we get some smartypants here acting all clever afterwards and we even reward them with upvotes. Absurd! That had to be said, thanks for listening. ;)

I don't think the guy you replied to means it that way, but there are certain people on here who would rather have the money used on a great and interesting film like this to be added to the budget of some superhero film instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

They blamed FB2's under-performance all on Depp.

Ironically this would have done the same business with Depp. 

One of the most telling things to me was that I was shopping for Lego sets to gift my nephew for his birthday. There were Lego sets for Batman, Jurassic World, Spider-Man and even Harry Potter (OG series). Nothing for Fantastic Beasts.

2 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

They blamed FB2's under-performance all on Depp.

Ironically this would have done the same business with Depp. 

Depp hasn't been a draw in 10+ years. How he's amassed a fanbase large enough to start one of the largest misinformation campaigns I've ever seen is beyond me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

Depp hasn't been a draw in 10+ years. How he's amassed a fanbase large enough to start one of the largest misinformation campaigns I've ever seen is beyond me.

He's been box office poison for ages, and this predates all his personal issues (which let's be frank general audiences don't care about).

They turned off because he was constantly phoning it in with one God awful movie after another (...after another). Never made sense to add him into the Fantastic Beasts franchise.

That said, no he's not why Crimes of Grindelwald under-performed... but he didn't exactly help either.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Who cares? It's not your money

Y’all are so annoying with that shit. The main ones hemming and hawing about Ambulance, Moonfall, The Suicide Squad etcetera being bombs are trying to be sanctimonious with people pointing out The Northman being a bust. If you just want to circle jerk about how a much of a “masterpiece” a movie that you already convinced yourselves is the best ever before a picture was even put on the internet is, then why the fuck are you on a forum about box office? 

No, we do not give a shit about how Robert Eggers has alleviated your depression because of the future of “auteur” cinema. You can go to Reddit for that. No, your dislike of a project or people involved with that project does not make box office bad and your like of a project or the people involved with that project does not make box office good. 

The fanboys are trying their best to turn these threads into r/box office and drag the discourse into the gutter. Where has all of the maturity that this place used to be known for gone?                                         

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Yeah, CinemaScore is pretty much subjective and shouldn't be taken literally without context.

The Northman got a B CinemaScore, which is exactly what Catwoman got.  So, does that mean Northman is as bad as Catwoman? Of course not! The CinemaScores don't correlate to movies having the same quality.

The Northman is a great and intense movie that got a much better CinemaScore than I thought, while Catwoman is a piece of shit movie that also got a much better CinemaScore than I thought, lol.

Obviously CinemaScore doesn't directly measure quality. No score correlates with quality unless you just don't think for yourself and blindly follow what some aggregate tells you. For some reason people constantly feel the need to point this out with Cinemascore and I have no idea why. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

One of the most telling things to me was that I was shopping for Lego sets to gift my nephew for his birthday. There were Lego sets for Batman, Jurassic World, Spider-Man and even Harry Potter (OG series). Nothing for Fantastic Beasts.

So...what Lego set did you buy? 👀

Yes, The Northman is a financial failure.

Yes, compared to the expectations of many of us here, its early numbers seem promising.

These two things dont contradict each other.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Y’all are so annoying with that shit. The main ones hemming and hawing about Ambulance, Moonfall, The Suicide Squad etcetera being bombs are trying to be sanctimonious with people pointing out The Northman being a bust. If you just want to circle jerk about how a much of a “masterpiece” a movie that you already convinced yourselves is the best ever before a picture was even put on the internet is, then why the fuck are you on a forum about box office? 

No, we do not give a shit about how Robert Eggers has alleviated your depression because of the future of “auteur” cinema. You can go to Reddit for that. No, your dislike of a project or people involved with that project does not make box office bad and your like of a project or the people involved with that project does not make box office good. 

The fanboys are trying their best to turn these threads into r/box office and drag the discourse into the gutter. Where has all of the maturity that this place used to be known for gone?                                         

Wtf with this meltdown lol 

• Like 1

"where is the maturity?" 

Says the person who appears personally attacking someone when this discussion happened hours ago with respect and reasonable arguments so far from both sides, no big deal about it. 

People can think whatever they want if they're respectful, if somebody can't stand with different points of view being discussed than i don't know why enter in any forum, not only this one.

33 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

I haven't seen the movie, but nice try