YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

22 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

3.) Fantastic Beasts…Dumbledore(WB), 4,245 (+37) theaters, Fri $4M (-80%), 3-day $13.5M (-68%)/Total $66.6M/Wk 2

I told you this would happen in December 2021. 

89-DD59-BA-14-AE-4-BFD-8370-3-AB56-C15-F

EyUKwz8XMAcVwN4.jpg

Edited by AJG
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

I told you this would happen in December 2021. 

89-DD59-BA-14-AE-4-BFD-8370-3-AB56-C15-F

EyUKwz8XMAcVwN4.jpg

Thanks to Batman, or else WB in 2022 will basically like an extension of 2021 when most of their tentpoles are below100m total. And I just realised Death on the Nile grossed more than Matrix 4. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Thanks to Batman, or else WB in 2022 will basically like an extension of 2021 when most of their tentpoles are below100m total. And I just realised Death on the Nile grossed more than Matrix 4. 

WB could still rebound. The superhero stuff of Black Adam, Shazam and Pets should all do over 100m domestic. Elvis also has a solid shot at 100m too.

• Like 3

I wonder if Massive Talent can leg it out to match its 30M budget. The Cinemascore is on par with a typical studio comedy like Lost City or Game Night, so it probably just depends how badly Strange cuts down on showtimes in two weeks.

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

WB could still rebound. The superhero stuff of Black Adam, Shazam and Pets should all do over 100m domestic. Elvis also has a solid shot at 100m too.

I think Elvis will be a smash sleeper hit! Warner Bros has positioned it for some smart counterprogramming against more traditional Summer blockbusters. There’s not a single film like it this Summer so it has its audience to itself. I could see the film reaching a $150M total, let alone $100M.

Bad Guys can do 25-27M, way bigger than anyone expects 

Northman probably 15M, again the high end of expectations 

Sonic 15-16M , nice drop

EEAAO holding great, The Lost City too 

FB3 is a disaster but whatever, Cage movie also doesn't look that good but can be a bit leggy since reception is great 

Overall pretty good weekend, unexpected but pretty good

• Like 3

I like the optimism for Elvis. Reeks of a bomb to me and I have an outright hatred for birth-to-death biopics.

But for the sake of keeping people steadily back to theaters (and counter-programming), I honestly hope it does well. Just not sure there is even an awareness of him by the current generation? Also I'm still trying to get over Tom Hanks as Kevin from The Office.

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

What’s up with the “Northman is doing good” takes? 15m on a 90m is bad. Plain and simple 

Eh, you gotta take what you get in this instance. Could've easily flatlined ala The Last Duel.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

What’s up with the “Northman is doing good” takes? 15m on a 90m is bad. Plain and simple 

It costs 70M as explained hundred of times, and it's getting good takes because many expect half of that. 

I mean it's obviously not getting profit on theaters, but it's not the disaster everyone predict, it can get 100M worldwide and it's coming to VOD only 17 days later, which probably will bring very good numbers. It can pull a The Last Duel and smash on streaming too when it's available.

In the end, this movie can ended up paying itself in a long term and avoid the expected massive failure situation, that's it, good takes explained.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It costs 70M as explained hundred of times, and it's getting good takes because many expect half of that. 

I mean it's obviously not getting profit on theaters, but it's not the disaster everyone predict, it can get 100M worldwide and it's coming to VOD only 17 days later, which probably will bring very good numbers. It can pull a The Last Duel and smash on streaming too when it's available.

In the end, this movie can ended up paying itself in a long term and avoid the expected massive failure situation, that's it, good takes explained.

Just curious - Does the 70m include marketing cost?

Cause the way the Deadline's article is written, it is as though a lot has been spent on marketing..