YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

Edited by Grebacio
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I can't think of even one reason why it's doing this mediocre

Because it's only for the fans. Sonic 2 is loaded with fan service and is largely designed to appeal almost entirely towards people who either grew up with the games when they were kids or are currently active fans of the games. And I guess kids today who are currently playing the new games. Nothing inherently wrong with that, as shown by the objectively good box office numbers for it, and I'm sure non-fans might still enjoy it. But it does mean it's harder for it to gain new audiences or retain legs when the fanbase already went out to see it. I'm a huge Sonic fan, and I'll fully admit that a lot of the appeal to me comes from how they adapted the characters and set pieces from the games. If I wasn't already into the franchise, I probably would have just found it an amusing enough kids movie.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ban1o said:

surprisingly uncharted had much better legs. 

To be fair, Uncharted not only had an empty month with one major opponent in The Batman but Sonic 2 lost its PLFs the second weekend and faced family competition the weekend right after, and with Strange 2 to likely be the killing blow, it was more of an uphill battle. However, the legs are more of a shock as the OW demographics showed it played like a normal family film with 58% being families but maybe it was the 61/39 male/female skew that action based family stuff tends to struggle with compared to more comedic films but also indicative of fan rush which could explain that it got the worse from both, behaving like a family film on the weekdays and a superhero movie on the weekends. The likely result being it played like both a fan driven film with the poor weekdays of a family film. This will likely be a problem with this year’s Lightyear and next year’s Across The Spider Verse as while I don’t think their legs will be as bad as Sonic as they’ll be received better and the former has summer (though Across needs to GTFO ASAP of June 2023 if it wants more than a 50/140/300 run at absolute best), I think both will skew the same problems of fanrush and ratios, and in turn have poorer legs.

Edited by YourMother

24 minutes ago, Cap said:

What is this Nicole Kidman slander?! 

I Dont Know Sandra Bullock GIF by Laff

God I hate Practical Magic. I've tried to watch it like 3 times and can never get through it. A movie has to be a special kind of awful to not be watchable despite prime Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman playing witches. What's even weirder is that it's become a sort of Halloween "classic." Was even shown at Cinespia. 

• Disbelief 1