YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Wow Sonic 2 will barely beat the first dom  and WW.  Disgusting legs 

Let's not forget the first film got its legs cut off by the pandemic too.

Edited by AJG

1 minute ago, Mr Terrific said:

Lost City over FB3 domestic is how likely?

Very likely with Mother's Day/potential double features with Top Gun when it comes out coming up.

Can't claim to be surprised with how the April tentpoles ended up playing out tbh. Sonic 2 is playing like a frontloaded, fan-driven sequel, Morbius never excited anyone and had garbage reviews as its final nail in the coffin, and Fantastic Beasts 3 always seemed destined to pull a Dark Phoenix/Allegiant ever since the previous movie was released to a bad reception and already diminished returns. When the movies aren't appealing, people will just stay away (hence why the performance of Everything Everywhere feeds into the notion that "quality sells").

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Maybe it would have been the same result but still disappointing that Sonic is the only real success story of the month. EEAAO is small scale success that art houses can triumph but not major chains. I really hope Top Gun Maverick doesn’t underperform next month or else we’re in for a rough summer. 

The biggest wild card of the summer. I'm really torn on it. Could see a major success or a bomb of epic proportions

3 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

Has there been any indication of Disney releasing DS2/Thor on a 45 day window?, I haven't seen any.

No. But this is a gut feeling than anything else. I can not prove that it will happen, and I am sure that I could be completely, totally wrong, but this is just what I'm feeling just on indifference from studio executives and their desperation to push more and more stuff on streaming, even in spite of Netflix's current woes.

22 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Between Jared Leto's Razzie and Morbius bomb and Adam Driver's inability to open a movie, it's now clear poor Lady Gaga was the one who carried House of Gucci on her back at the box office. 

Females turned out at 60%, giving the film an 84% positive, with men at 40% with 80% positive. Close to 40% of the audience said they came out for Lady Gaga, while 32% cited the ensemble cast of Adam Driver, Al Pacino, and Jared Leto, while 34% were intrigued by the Gucci family murder plot.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/encanto-house-of-gucci-resident-evil-thanksgiving-box-office-1234880192/

:Gaga:

Yeah this April turned out very mid for studios. No ifs, ands or buts. But still good enough for theaters though.

Edited by YourMother

39 minutes ago, CJohn said:

What should have been a dreamy April for theaters has turned into a nightmare, and I think FB3 and Morbius would have performed like this no matter what. It is just that now it matters much more than in a normal marketplace.

Clearly you’re just doing your whole negative shtick again, because this makes absolutely zero sense. 

Theaters don’t care about what the production budget of a movie is. Did it bring in crowds? Yes or no. Morbius brought in a fair size crowd for its opening weekend, EEAAO is an indie beast for theaters that play those sort of films. Sonic was a huge opener, Beasts still brought in money, and Bad Guys is making for very very steady matinees. And then you have things like The Northman which play well in the right markets/late evenings to balance it all out.

No, this has been a VERY good April for movie theaters. I have no clue what you’re talking about.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

I agree that Morbius and FB3 wouldn't have performed much better in normal times, but Sonic, oh Sonic,....i expected it to blow up the BO, especially after that great opening weekend

Edited by Maggie

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Clearly you’re just doing your whole negative shtick again, because this makes absolutely zero sense. 

Theaters don’t care about what the production budget of a movie is. Did it bring in crowds? Yes or no. Morbius brought in a fair size crowd for its opening weekend, EEAAO is an indie beast for theaters that play those sort of films. Sonic was a huge opener, Beasts still brought in money, and Bad Guys is making for very very steady matinees. And then you have things like The Northman which play well in the right markets/late evenings to balance it all out.

No, this has been a VERY good April for movie theaters. I have no clue what you’re talking about.

Yeah. While it was a bad month for the movies that released, it was a really food month for theaters. 

Hopefully studios like Sony will stop putting pathetic crap like Morbius and studios like WB start doing something actually exciting for fans with WW. 

yeah sonic's legs got fucked

it'll probably have a healthy post theater life, and sequels should be fine since this one was pretty well liked, but I wish it did better.

fuck fantastic beasts for taking the PLFs, JKR ruins everything yet again

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Very likely with Mother's Day/potential double features with Top Gun when it comes out coming up.

Can't claim to be surprised with how the April tentpoles ended up playing out tbh. Sonic 2 is playing like a frontloaded, fan-driven sequel, Morbius never excited anyone and had garbage reviews as its final nail in the coffin, and Fantastic Beasts 3 always seemed destined to pull a Dark Phoenix/Allegiant ever since the previous movie was released to a bad reception and already diminished returns. When the movies aren't appealing, people will just stay away (hence why the performance of Everything Everywhere feeds into the notion that "quality sells").

Saying it's as simple as "quality sells" because EEAAO was successful (but still on a small arthouse scale level) in the same week where that mantra very clearly did not work out for The Northman seems kind of weird and nitpicky to me.

Honestly, beyond Sonic, everything is expected or even better than expected this month.

Morbius and FB3 was disasters waiting to happen and everyone knows it. 

We had some surprises with EEAOO and The Bad Guys doing way better than expected. 

Some movies didn't get good numbers, but they're still better than expected like The Northman. 

And Sonic despite legs disappointing some, is still heading to 185-190M, honestly, i understand being frustrated but not more than that, the numbers is pretty good anyway and being more frontloaded is always a possibility for sequels.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I imagine Bad Guys way outdoing expectations hampered Sonic 2 a lot. Both movies don't have much in the way of real competition until June with Lightyear, so hopefully the former holds well and the latter stabilizes.

Doctor Strange 2, if some of the more recent rumours are to believed, isn't quite the Endgame/No Way Home level behemoth I thought it'd be, so I'm hopeful this summer will be more balanced than 2019.

47 minutes ago, Maggie said:

What rumors? Spill!

3 minutes ago, dobrevvselena said:

its not gonna be cameo fest some people were expecting

Just a reminder that spoilers even under the spoiler tags are not allowed in weekday and weekend numbers thread whether it is before or after a movies release. Spoilers can be discussed in these threads only after the spoiler free window has ended on the forum

52 minutes ago, Maggie said:

What rumors? Spill!

It's a balanced and focused movie it seems.

It's not that it won't have big surprises, but people on social media seems to be expecting 200 things on this movie, which to me is always asking to be disappointed.

I doubt it will have any bad effect tho, maybe only with die hard fans that keeps making hundreds of crazy theories.

• Like 3