Eric is Quiet

Cinemacon 2022 Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, watcher1232 said:

I'm in the middle on how Avatar 2'll do, but Aladdin 2019 and The Lion King 2019 were widely mocked and both ended up making over a billion dollars. The internet is in and of itself an echo chamber that doesn't always reflect reality.

I'm in the same boat 

My thoughts on the Disney presentation.....

- Doctor Strange 2 footage was good, pretty much exactly what you expect and the action and things like smash zooms were very Sam Rami and felt like the original Spider-Man.  

- Lightyear was incredible, and FUCK OFF to anyone that has a problem with the same-sex relationship.  It was sweet, touching, wonderful and not a thing wrong with it.  The kiss is a quick peck.  The robot cat absolutely steals the show and a ton of people were openly crying during parts.  It was really really good.  

- I loved the trailer/clip for Amsterdam.  It is quintessential David O. Russell.  

- Bob's Burgers.  I've never seen it, thought it was annoying, but the crowd liked it and it is popular.  Likely does pretty well.  

- Something I haven't seen mentioned was there was footage from Black Panther 2 in the sizzle reel.  They seemed very adamant that it isn't moving from November.  

- Avatar 2.  I have been pretty vocal that I don't think it is the automatic smash hit many think it will be.  Don't get me wrong, it will make a ton of money, but this is 2022 and the gimmick of 3D didn't have nearly the impact that it did in 2009.  Also, it reminded me how terrible the experience of watching 3D with the big clunky glasses is.  The set up in the Coliseum is a nearly perfect sound and projection set up with the very best equipment in the entire world being perfectly tuned for these presentations, and even with that it was dark and sometimes muddled with the glasses on.  They were uncomfortable and if you are eating it makes it nearly impossible to see. 

I still don't think exhibitors are going to go through the pain of doing upgrades or revamps on their equipment, and they also don't want to get caught in the studio trap where they know if a theater has 3D capabilities, they start demanding a certain number of shows in 3D. 

As far as the actual footage.  Meh.  It looks pretty and everything, but it didn't look all that much advanced from 2009.  I might be wrong on all of this, but we shall see.   

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Eric is a furry said:

Disney's CinemaCon presence is always pretty light, especially when it's a D23 year. We'll get a trailer timed to Lightyear, more details at D23, one more trailer in September, and call it a day.

They are releasing first look on May, don't think they will release another trailer one month later. 
I think their strategy will be full trailer on July with Thor, Final trailer on November with Black Panther 

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

My thoughts on the Disney presentation.....

- Doctor Strange 2 footage was good, pretty much exactly what you expect and the action and things like smash zooms were very Sam Rami and felt like the original Spider-Man.  

- Lightyear was incredible, and FUCK OFF to anyone that has a problem with the same-sex relationship.  It was sweet, touching, wonderful and not a thing wrong with it.  The kiss is a quick peck.  The robot cat absolutely steals the show and a ton of people were openly crying during parts.  It was really really good.  

- I loved the trailer/clip for Amsterdam.  It is quintessential David O. Russell.  

- Bob's Burgers.  I've never seen it, thought it was annoying, but the crowd liked it and it is popular.  Likely does pretty well.  

- Something I haven't seen mentioned was there was footage from Black Panther 2 in the sizzle reel.  They seemed very adamant that it isn't moving from November.  

- Avatar 2.  I have been pretty vocal that I don't think it is the automatic smash hit many think it will be.  Don't get me wrong, it will make a ton of money, but this is 2022 and the gimmick of 3D didn't have nearly the impact that it did in 2009.  Also, it reminded me how terrible the experience of watching 3D with the big clunky glasses is.  The set up in the Coliseum is a nearly perfect sound and projection set up with the very best equipment in the entire world being perfectly tuned for these presentations, and even with that it was dark and sometimes muddled with the glasses on.  They were uncomfortable and if you are eating it makes it nearly impossible to see. 

I still don't think exhibitors are going to go through the pain of doing upgrades or revamps on their equipment, and they also don't want to get caught in the studio trap where they know if a theater has 3D capabilities, they start demanding a certain number of shows in 3D. 

As far as the actual footage.  Meh.  It looks pretty and everything, but it didn't look all that much advanced from 2009.  I might be wrong on all of this, but we shall see.   

Me and you are in the same boat for avatar 2. What were your thoughts on the other presentions so far