Cap

AMERICA CHAVEZ IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS WEEKEND THREAD | Aka carbonara civil war thread | 187.42M OW

14 minutes ago, ImNotRacistAtAll said:

I can't imagine Feige not realizing that Phase 4 has been a bust.

I may not call Phase 4 in that way, but I understand and agree with you in some ways.

Everybody said Star Wars cinema was doing fine because it made incredible numbers in box office and didn't take production conflicts between studio and filmmakers or divisive views in audience as big deal. But once Solo came out and failed in box office, Disney halted all spin-off movies and didn't know which story direction the last chapter of Skywalker saga should go. They still could't tell how to handle SW in film territory at this point. 

For MCU, something similar but less serious are happening. Eternals didn't work well for whatever reasons, but it was ok for the franchise and hurt nothing. Nobody could hit the mark every time. Spider-Man: No Way Home, a movie with fun and messes at the same time, was something they couldn't finish until the very last minute. Some may argue that Hollywood blockbusters are always busy with their middle and post-production. And I don't disagree with that. But after Marvel change the director and push their whole slate back due to the major reshoots on Doctor Strange 2, I don't think they're still in a very normal state.

I don't think those numbers are disappointed or average for Marvel and DS2. But it's fair to say Phase 4 in movie aspect is not that stable right now. The vitality of the franchise allow them to take the hit once or twice even more but never countless times. For SW movies, Solo is the point of transition those conflicts totally outbroke. For Marvel, it's not impossible that it would fall into the same trickier situation. Maybe just one more wrong step.

• Like 8
  • ...wtf 1

38 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

By "expectations" you mean your expectations right? Because the trades hat estimated the debut at 175-190 Million with 200M+ as the optimistic prediction. So if this 91M OD leads to a 190 Million OW, Doctor Strange would land on the upper end of industry expectations.

Also, the weekend is not over. Lets wait for the Saturday and Sunday drops. 90-91M OD is a great start, not an underwhelming one lol.

Now tbf, industry expectations are silly and should 100% be ignored. BOP had very reasonable expectations for this though and we are going to hit them, maybe near the middle.

Edited by Illuminegion Confirmed
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Who told you that?

Also tbf, 200 looked very very unlikely on Sunday. The final few days of sales were underwhelming.   

Also though it’s funny that this guy is melting down over missing 200 when we’re probably hitting 200 :hahaha:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MaverickXXR said:

Alrighty so let’s get the cards out on the table. We’re looking at $190-200M OW and probably 2.2-2.3x legs. OS will open to about $270M and probably pull off slightly better legs (maybe 2.5x?). All in we’re looking at $1.04-1.14B.

Time to move on to Thor 🥹

Some of you are on some crack to try and say this is "underperforming" and that it's making a billion

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Illuminegion Confirmed said:

Also tbf, 200 looked very very unlikely on Sunday. The final few days of sales were underwhelming.   

Also though it’s funny that this guy is melting down over missing 200 when we’re probably hitting 200 :hahaha:

I mean sure but no one told him that we aren't missing 200m. Right?

I'm torn between being impressed at a $90-plus opening day and feeling slightly depressed at the ridiculous extent to which Marvel continues to monopolize the US box office. Although maybe I'd feel more charitable towards Multiverse of Madness were I able to see it in theaters. Regardless of whether this thing hits in the $190 millions or soars past $200 million, it's still an enormous opening and a strong weekend, especially given the reported $200 million-ish budget (and a large enough opening that the movie's lack of play in China, Russia, Saudi, Egypt, etc. becomes a relative nonissue).

The problem becomes, what happens once the movie starts sinking like a rock and audience-attracting movies are scarce on the ground until Top Gun Maverick?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, porginchina said:

I'm torn between being impressed at a $90-plus opening day and feeling slightly depressed at the ridiculous extent to which Marvel continues to monopolize the US box office. Although maybe I'd feel more charitable towards Multiverse of Madness were I able to see it in theaters. Regardless of whether this thing hits in the $190 millions or soars past $200 million, it's still an enormous opening and a strong weekend, especially given the reported $200 million-ish budget (and a large enough opening that the movie's lack of play in China, Russia, Saudi, Egypt, etc. becomes a relative nonissue).

The problem becomes, what happens once the movie starts sinking like a rock and audience-attracting movies are scarce on the ground until Top Gun Maverick?

You dont have to worry about that, since between those two movies theres a real 5-quadrant-superblockbuster-sleeper hit looming:

Spoiler

Firestarter_(2022)_poster.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 3

1 minute ago, porginchina said:

This!!! 

Another thing, i'm starting to think some of the critics are being bought, not necessarly with money, but perks. And i'm talking about the "critics/fanboys" who get to see the movies first. How can they give this movie such high ratings? Thankfully some late critics even out the score.

I'm expecting bad reviews for Top Gun 2 too. Scott Mendelson gave Strange a 6/10 and he hated TG 2. You may hate him, but he's usually fair. Nostalgia will get it a good OW, but imo movie will be trash and sink on second weekend. I said what i said!

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

3 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

I'm truly astonished at some of these "underwhelming" takes and borderline crazy overreactions.

Tbf, its like 1 guy.

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

This!!! 

Another thing, i'm starting to think some of the critics are being bought, not necessarly with money, but perks. And i'm talking about the "critics/fanboys" who get to see the movies first. How can they give this movie such high ratings? Thankfully some late critics even out the score.

I'm expecting bad reviews for Top Gun 2 too. Scott Mendelson gave Strange a 6/10 and he hated TG 2. You may hate him, but he's usually fair. Nostalgia will get it a good OW, but imo movie will be trash and sink on second weekend. I said what i said!

No.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

grandpa-abe-exit.gif

22 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

Thor 4 is going to make less than MoM, Doesn't have the hype. BP2 should do better than both as long as its not bad.

OW wise yes easily but I expect with likely better reception and access to summer days, it’ll leg it. Regardless of competition, I expect Strange to have similar legs to CW/IM3, going with a 205m x 2.3, it ends at 472m. I think LAT should open around TDKR at about 160m-175m with about a 2.9x-3x multiple.

• Like 1

A sequel to a movie that went 85/232 domestic is going to open to 190-200 domestic. 
This is cause for concern about the weakening of the overall MCU franchise?
What possible OW could DS2 had to not contribute to doomsaying?

Good grief. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

I’m curious on how Lightyear does. It should well but I got a gut feeling it’ll underperform a bit, like more in line with say $250m-ish than $300m+.

1 minute ago, Mr Terrific said:

A sequel to a movie that went 85/232 domestic is going to open to 190-200 domestic. 
This is cause for concern about the weakening of the overall MCU franchise?
What possible OW could DS2 had to not contribute to doomsaying?

Good grief. 

Yhyh Keep thinking like it's just a normal sequel to DS1 in 2016 just how NWH was a "True" Sequel to FFH. Just like how CW was a sequel to the winter soldier. My issue wit the MCU is they are making every movies like some big type of event movie....diminishing returns.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1