Eric Lasagna

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

It was reasonable to think the movie was dead in the water right after its release, didn't seem like anything was going for it. But the movie's tone just seems to be clicking with people in a way Good Dino and Lightyear weren't.

Apparently its success in Korea is being partially attributed to a KPop musician heavily promoting it. Damn those people have a ton of power there.

Edited by AniNate

3 hours ago, AniNate said:

It was reasonable to think the movie was dead in the water right after its release, didn't seem like anything was going for it. But the movie's tone just seems to be clicking with people in a way Good Dino and Lightyear weren't.

Apparently its success in Korea is being partially attributed to a KPop musician heavily promoting it. Damn those people have a ton of power there.

It's just mature enough that adults can appreciate it but also just colorful and fun enough for kids to enjoy it. And it's basically the only option for families with young children this summer. 

8 hours ago, Jonwo said:

It's safe to say that Pixar is not as doomed as some think it is.

Never was. Every studio has it's failure.

I don't think Elementals will quite get into profit, but it will certainly lose less money then what seemed probable last weekend.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

Never was. Every studio has it's failure.

I don't think Elementals will quite get into profit, but it will certainly lose less money then what seemed probable last weekend.

I do think had Elemental released it on the 23rd June, it would have done better. 

• Like 2

Yeah this film hit all the right notes for me even though I wouldn't say it did anything too unexpected. When the film let's the visuals and music do the heavy lifting in certain scenes (thank God Thomas Newman is back) it's breathtaking. 

I can see why WOM is very good it certainly leaves you with a very good feel factor. More of this and less of Lightyear please Pixar.

• Like 2

I made a spreadsheet of an idealized Elemental box office run, and since Tuesday was such a hit and exceeded even my hopes, I thought I'd share it. Hope it makes sense.

2.8 68.3 June 26
3.7 72 June 27
2.8 74.8 June 28
2.8 77.6 June 29
4 81.6 June 30
5.4 87 July 1
4.8 91.8 July 2
2.5 94.3 July 3
3.5 97.8 July 4
2.8 100.6 July 5
2.7 103.3 July 6
3.7 107 July 7
4.8 111.8 July 8
4 115.8 July 9
2.2 118 July 10
3.4 121.4 July 11
2.3 123.7 July 12
2.3 126 July 13
3.3 129.3 July 14
4.8 134.1 July 15
3.3 137.4 July 16
1.7 139.1 July 17
2.6 141.7 July 18
1.8 143.5 July 19
1.8 145.3 July 20
2.6 147.9 July 21
3.6 151.5 July 22
2.6 154.1 July 23
1.3 155.4 July 24
1.8 157.2 July 25
1.9 159.1 July 26
1.8 160.9 July 27
2.5 163.4 July 28
3.6 167 July 29
2.5 169.5 July 30
169.5 51.6 rest of run
221.1   final

Elemental might still be a flop. But its reception, WOM, legs and upcoming “not as disastrous as we thought” box office total prove that there’s still audiences for Pixar in cinemas. Families are coming back to cinema again and Pixar doesn’t deserve to be dumped in streaming that quick. 

As long as the qualities are there (like what Pixar usually does) and Disney not fucking up the streaming date, Pixar can still be successful. Elemental gives that idea. Hopefully it also gives Disney some confidence and lessons to delay it to streaming for another 6 months. If Disney does that then I believe Elio and next Pixar projects will be successful again like Pixar used to pre pandemic.

Elemental will be *that* one movie that dug Pixar out of the grave. It earns the audiences trust back, taught Disney lessons and perfectly captures the enormous worth of Pixar brand that’s still left in Cinema industry.

Edited by Claudio
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Claudio said:

Elemental might still be a flop. But its reception, WOM, legs and upcoming “not as disastrous as we thought” box office total prove that there’s still audiences for Pixar in cinemas. Families are coming back to cinema again and Pixar doesn’t deserve to be dumped in streaming that quick. 

As long as the qualities are there (like what Pixar usually does) and Disney not fucking up the streaming date, Pixar can still be successful. Elemental gives that idea. Hopefully it also gives Disney some confidence and lessons to delay it to streaming for another 6 months. If Disney does that then I believe Elio and next Pixar projects will be successful again like Pixar used to pre pandemic.

Elemental will be *that* one movie that dug Pixar out of the grave. It earns the audiences trust back, taught Disney lessons and perfectly captures the enormous worth of Pixar brand that’s still left in Cinema industry.

It's a vital first step in getting Pixar (and Disney Animation in general) back on track.

• Like 2

If the Pete Docter era of Pixar leadership comes to an end, I think we should note that some of the films he shepherded, like Turning Red and Elemental, have a rawness and authenticity to some scenes that I don't think was necessarily part of Pixar before.

Not that it's TOO raw or authentic. I just don't feel the same way about them as I do WALL-E or Ratatouille.

Finding Nemo, might really be the closest classic Pixar movie, to what I'm trying to say.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

If the Pete Docter era of Pixar leadership comes to an end, I think we should note that some of the films he shepherded, like Turning Red and Elemental, have a rawness and authenticity to some scenes that I don't think was necessarily part of Pixar before.

Not that it's TOO raw or authentic. I just don't feel the same way about them as I do WALL-E or Ratatouille.

Finding Nemo, might really be the closest classic Pixar movie, to what I'm trying to say.

I actually do really love that he is prioritizing creator driven stories. Elemental, Turning Red, and Luca all feel very, very personal and I really like that. Hell, even Lightyear was a passion project for Angus MacLane even it that was brand management in action.

This is why I'm excited for Elio and even Inside Out 2. Even if they aren't hits, I'm very excited to see what they have quality wise.

Even though this movie flopped I do think it's playing an important role in bringing back audiences to watch Pixar in theaters. People seem to be really enjoying it and maybe this movie had to flop so other Pixar films in the future can thrive. I'm going to watch it this week with my niece and I'm excited to. I hope Elio is great and becomes a hit. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Even though this movie flopped I do think it's playing an important role in bringing back audiences to watch Pixar in theaters. People seem to be really enjoying it and maybe this movie had to flop so other Pixar films in the future can thrive. I'm going to watch it this week with my niece and I'm excited to. I hope Elio is great and becomes a hit. 

Hopefully legs will be enough for this to only be an "underperforming" film than a complete catastrophe like Lightyear. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JWR said:

Hopefully legs will be enough for this to only be an "underperforming" film than a complete catastrophe like Lightyear. 

I think it'll save a lot of face if it can do $400M, sure it won't be a money maker but not a total flop like The Flash and Indy 5.

• Like 2

"ELementals" legs are  trampling "Kraken",what little chance Kraken had was taken away by Elementals filling the market niche quite nicely. Of course that Elementals, despite the flawed trailers, looked a lot better then Kraken helped there.

So right now Elemental's multiplier is pacing about 15% ahead of Finding Nemo's. It continues that trend it would end up with a 5.5x which would put it around a $160m finish domestically. Between that and the legs it's also finding in just about every country it's released in except China, I'm thinking $500m is a possibility. 

Probably not gonna be able to match a Coco ratio given its weak China performance, but Korea is definitely doing its damndest to pick up the slack.

• Like 6
  • Astonished 1

I know people are throwing out that this flopped but I think it is performing very well for what it is, to be honest I personally expected worse. This is a film that isn't based off an existing IP and those have been doing awful this decade (2020s) I mean it has a very good chance to be the highest grossing Hollywood original film this decade. I know there is debate what constitutes and "original" film but below is what it has to beat. 

Top 5 Original Hollywood movies worldwide since 2020:

Tenet $365m

Free Guy* $331m

Elvis* $287m

Encanto $256m

The Bad Guys* $250m

*Questionable as Free Guy liberally uses existing IP, Elvis is a Biopic and Bad Guys is based off a children’s book.

Should get to first in my opinion; also I feel looking at the list Encanto got unfairly treated as a huge failure in the short time before it was deemed a mega success on streaming, song sales etc. without looking at the broader picture of how original films are struggling. 

I still think Pixar and WDAS are going to go heavily into sequels as I have been saying for some time and there has been a lot of confirmation that they are ramping up production on a lot of those, I think financially that is that right call, however this is a huge positive for original animated films just need to get budgets down if they are to rely heavily on theatrical which seems to be the Disney game plan. Maybe for Pixar at least they could shift doing R&D costs only on sequels and make original films just using the existing tools (this is a oversimplification but hopefully you get what I am saying) 

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 10

Finally caught this in the UK and found it to be a lovely film with a really charming story (also Thomas Newman absolutely slayed my emotions in parts).

All I could think as the credits rolled was “the Cannes reviewers must just hate joy”, I really don’t know how anybody could actively dislike such a harmless and fun film. Definitely Pixar’s strongest film in years.

• Like 4

400m looks like the floor at this point, should be crossing that mark right before Turtles comes out. Gonna have to hope for maintaining audience interest amidst that competition and a great Japan performance if it hopes to hit 500. 

Edited by AniNate