Eric Lasagna

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

15 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I cannot emphasis enough the streaming doesn't hurt the BO only when the movie hit streaming. It took away the BO, starting from OW itself, all the way til end of the run. 

The reality though, is that all movies will go to streaming eventually. Even Oppenheimer. Just a matter of when.

This starts terribly, like an obnoxious parody of a Pixar movie (what if elements had feelings and lived in a city, etc) but the love story saves it… somewhat. I can see why it became a sleeper hit - fans of romantic melodramas are underserved and will take what they can get.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

18 hours ago, Hatebox said:

This starts terribly, like an obnoxious parody of a Pixar movie (what if elements had feelings and lived in a city, etc) but the love story saves it… somewhat. I can see why it became a sleeper hit - fans of romantic melodramas are underserved and will take what they can get.

The same reason why Titanic went to become uncontrolled monster hit. 

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Well if Disneys strategy is for things to blow up on Disney+ after theaters...it's working I guess!

Well it's doing a lot better than if it flopped at the box office. lol. Basically pulling similar numbers as Luca and Turning Red. We knew this in the streaming tracking thread.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well it's doing a lot better than if it flopped at the box office. lol. Basically pulling similar numbers as Luca and Turning Red. We knew this in the streaming tracking thread.

The real key will be starting with the reporting of the third week numbers.  Will it have the staying power of Encanto or will it be more of a short-term thing (before it finds its long-tail equilibrium)?

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I mean only Encanto was Encanto. 🤷‍♂️

Encanto was doing 2B for about a month, I think what @Porthos means is if it can stay steady or have a small drop from week 2 to week 3 and then stay around that number for a while or it continues to fall and steadies out later on the run. 

Going to be a very big difference come the end of the year chart depending if weeks 3-7 average closer to 1B, 800m or 600m for instance, also probably the difference between it taking the number 1 spot or Moana reclaiming that spot. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Encanto was doing 2B for about a month, I think what @Porthos means is if it can stay steady or have a small drop from week 2 to week 3 and then stay around that number for a while or it continues to fall and steadies out later on the run. 

Going to be a very big difference come the end of the year chart depending if weeks 3-7 average closer to 1B, 800m or 600m for instance, also probably the difference between it taking the number 1 spot or Moana reclaiming that spot. 

Encanto

Elemental

(h/t for Encanto data to @cannastop)

Now a GIGANTIC asterisk is on Encanto's first week(end) due to being on Xmas Eve weekend, which was then MORE than made up for on the next week.  But I'm posting the above for the sheer insanity of Encanto's Weeks 3-10 than the direct comparison of Week 2's, which as I said have a huge thumb on the scale due to Xmas timing.

So, yes, I want to see what the weeklies are for Elemental as I am damn curious as to how it's gonna do, even if it isn't gonna replicate the Titanic like run of Encanto over on D+.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Encanto

Elemental

(h/t for Encanto data to @cannastop)

Now a GIGANTIC asterisk is on Encanto's first week(end) due to being on Xmas Eve weekend, which was then MORE than made up for on the next week.  But I'm posting the above for the sheer insanity of Encanto's Weeks 3-10 than the direct comparison of Week 2's, which as I said have a huge thumb on the scale due to Xmas timing.

So, yes, I want to see what the weeklies are for Elemental as I am damn curious as to how it's gonna do, even if it isn't gonna replicate the Titanic like run of Encanto over on D+.

I misremembered the Encanto run slightly only one week above 2B but still as you said weeks 3-10 are all crazy averaging 1.3B or so minutes. 

I think an excellent run for Elemental would be averaging 800m over the next 7 weeks (would likely need 1B+ for the next 3 for that to happen) and then 500m for the next 5, I'm pretty sure that takes it through the end of the year, and would put it a little over 11B hours viewed for the year. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

I know I gave this movies run a lot of grief for getting lucky with no direct comp for its legs (which I still think was a big factor), but that said this may actually end up being one of the most impressive box office runs for Disney of 2023 or 24 looking at the future. It looks bleak, and honestly I don’t think any of the upcoming animated films are any kind of lock for 500 (not even IO2). 

43 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I know I gave this movies run a lot of grief for getting lucky with no direct comp for its legs (which I still think was a big factor), but that said this may actually end up being one of the most impressive box office runs for Disney of 2023 or 24 looking at the future. It looks bleak, and honestly I don’t think any of the upcoming animated films are any kind of lock for 500 (not even IO2). 

IO2 is gonna gross $1b imo. Gen Z nostalgia shouldn't be underestimated. Inside Out (and Coco) had the larger impact on the youth than any other animated movie since, like, Incredibles.

I see it being like TS4/Finding Dory where it is hated by certain online fans, but IRL audiences and critics love it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Think IO2 and Zootopia 2 should do over 500 unless like bad.