The Wild Eric

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Why are Disney animated movies so expensive compared to the animated movies from other studios anyway? Even Dreamworks seems to have been keeping their budgets under control lately. 

Outsourcing.

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Elio hopefully fares a lot better but I do imagine Disney will be reluctant to greenlight anything more original at least until that movie comes out.

I think the 2026 films assuming they’re originals are safe but everything else no.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YM! said:

Outsourcing.

I think the 2026 films assuming they’re originals are safe but everything else no.

Yeah pretty sure Turning Red director was working on a new one and even if it was 2025. They didn't give the March 2026 date for nothing. 

1 hour ago, AJG said:

The appetite to see animated originals in the cinema isn't what it used to be. That's the problem. 

The sample is too small to jump into that conclusion. We have to wait for Ruby, Wish, Migration and Elio yet 

Edited by Grebacio
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

Yeah pretty sure Turning Red director was working on a new one and even if it was 2025. They didn't give the March 2026 date for nothing. 

There's no way Domee Shi is going to have a movie ready before 2027... would be record turnaround.

2 minutes ago, YM! said:

Tbh I think WDAS/Pixar could consider doing adaptations of books or games, or maybe try more action/adventure movies.

Well WDAS used to adapt books all the time... which books are you thinking of? Which games?
Really don't like the idea of Disney trying to adapt someone else's game though.

Thinking some Pixar fatigue setting in with critics...This movie gets raves if released 5 or 6 years ago...Maybe mediocre films like Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4 gets mixed reviews if released today

• Disbelief 1

13 minutes ago, YM! said:

Tbh I think WDAS/Pixar could consider doing adaptations of books or games, or maybe try more action/adventure movies.

I've always thought an adaptation of Redwall or Mistmantle would work well with them. The former even comes with songs.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

People here weren't hoping for Onward level reception (though I dunno, maybe it would be OK).

My hope personally wasn't for Onward-level reviews, but now that initial reviews are out my hope is for the trajectory of reviews to go up like Onward (low 70s to high 80s on RT) and Coco (high 80s to high 90s) did.

But it ain't a great start.

Edited by PNF2187
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

Now its gonna struggle. Already it had no buzz so far leading to non existent presales. I cant see a Pixar movie which is not a sequel recover from this. man losing Unkrich, Stanton and Bird and Docter being busy running the whole thing will not make their future in a great shape. I hope Docter will make a come back with some project. Even Lasseter directed while running the studio. 

• Sad 1

I did expect the 2020s were gonna be rough for the studio, though they've had some real bad luck on top of it.

I hope In the Blink of an Eye turns out good but I still would like to see Stanton do one more animated movie, maybe he might be more motivated to come back and give the studio some stability now.

There’s slight hope for Elio as the Coco co-director is helming it, as well as Shi and Cassarosa’s next film. They just need different spots. Summer is too competitive for Pixar anymore outside of sequels. February can work or even September if they want to try it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, YM! said:

There’s slight hope for Elio as the Coco co-director is helming it, as well as Shi and Cassarosa’s next film. They just need different spots. Summer is too competitive for Pixar anymore outside of sequels. February can work or even September if they want to try it.

I agree. I hope Pixar can find an open market for next original. Not share the date with another big budget movie which would take away most PLF screens. 

13 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I agree. I hope Pixar can find an open market for next original. Not share the date with another big budget movie which would take away most PLF screens. 

I think Elio could do well on like second week of February, with rave reviews and the first big kids film, could run to 200m.

Tbh though I think WDAS is in slightly better shape, depending on how Wish does, they could switch again. WDAS film being the summer slot and the Pixar film being in the Thanksgiving or early November slot.

Edited by YM!

Was really rooting for this one too. I still suspect reviews will improve overtime but I'm wondering if the damage is already done. I still stand by that putting Turning Red straight to Disney+ was a huge mistake and oversight that reeked of panic, that movie would have been a huge hit in theaters I feel. Arguably Luca should have gone as well but I get the pandemic was still in full force then (and Soul obviously was in an even worse position) so I won't really hold that against them.

I don't think this will be the massive, Strange World level flop that some people are predicting (being the only true family oriented film for basically a month WILL help it) but I'm not expecting it to break out anymore like I initially believed.