Eric the Minion

Weekend Thread (5/20-22) | DS2 31.6, Downton 16, Bad Guys 6.1, Sonic 3.9, Men (are trash) 3.3

https://deadline.com/2022/05/downton-abbey-a-new-era-tops-1m-in-thursday-previews-box-office-1235028976/

Highly anticipated Downton Abbey: A New Era made $1.050 million in Thursday previews that began at 7 p.m. at more than 3,800 theaters. It is Focus Features’ widest ever U.S. release and one that comes with a weight of responsibility as the film to finally catapult older demos back into theaters. Focus Features distribution chief Lisa Bunnell recently promised cinema owners it would. “We have our own superheroes,” she said at CinemaCon.

Based on the smash series created by Julian Fellowes, it’s grossed over $30 million internationally. It premiered in the U.K. and Ireland April 29, launching into the top spot across 746 locations (second-widest release after No Time To Die). It’s certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes with a 98% Audience score and 83% Critics score

This $1.050 million figure not includes Wednesday's Early Access shows.

Focus is hugely supporting Downton Abbey 2.

I had seen a lot of TV spots for Downton Abbey 2 ... much more than The Northman. Hoping the film will do well.

Edited by John2015

I’m not surprised at Downton Abbey doing well at the box office because it’s a direct counterprogrammer against pretty much everything else. I was working at a theater on Wednesday and a single 7:00 showing of Downton Abbey rivaled all of Doctor Strange’s showtimes in terms of amount of tickets sold. Granted, Doctor Strange is about two weeks old now, and it was a Wednesday, but seeing Downton Abbey do well was exciting.

• Like 1

May or may not see a CinemaScore for Men. Doesn't seem like X got one, wonder if this will be commonplace for A24 fare, similar to how Open Road doesn't have any scores for their most recent titles. Or maybe it was just a weird exception?

1 hour ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Sigh. 

Yet another wide release horror opening under $5m this year. The sixth. 

Only one has opened higher and it was Scream with $30m. One of the worst first six months of a year the genre has ever had. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Sigh. 

Yet another wide release horror opening under $5m this year. The sixth. 

Only one has opened higher and it was Scream with $30m. One of the worst first six months of a year the genre has ever had. 

On the bright side, Black Phone seems pretty well-positioned for a breakout with the lack of competition in the genre space and strong buzz.

Although Phone is R, I actually think the box office is overdue specifically for PG-13 horror. Last one was Umma, and that was barely marketed and didn't even go over 1,000 locations. Not sure if Bed Rest (if STX actually puts it out), Nope, or The Bride will end up with that rating, but I think somebody could benefit from it.

• Founder / Operator

Hearing $7.5 - $8M Friday for DA2 from a usually reliable source.

Still early in the day for west coast, so not sure how they're weighing evening projections. I imagine anything after 8pm will slow considerably for older audiences. I was seeing a lot of post-Thursday sales earlier this week, though.

• Like 7

• Founder / Operator
6 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Still early in the day for west coast, so not sure how they're weighing evening projections. I imagine anything after 8pm will slow considerably for older audiences. I was seeing a lot of post-Thursday sales earlier this week, though.

Strange around $7.5M.

Again... very early. But good source. Just sharing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Shawn said:

For some reason, Friday matinees are playing incredibly strong across the board. Presales for Friday mat were actually much stronger than presales for Saturday mat are right now. 

Either way, 7.5-8 is actually a pretty decent number. Thanks for the update!

• Like 1