Eric the Fall Guy

Weekend Thread (5/20-22) | DS2 31.6, Downton 16, Bad Guys 6.1, Sonic 3.9, Men (are trash) 3.3

9 minutes ago, John2015 said:

sorry... double posts. Please delete it.

Good points! What makes marketing good isn't that an outlier individual likes it but that it puts butts in seats. I liked the artistry of BoP posters but many people here said right away that was not going to put butts in seats. And they were right. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Solid number for the Doctor.

Real story remains EEAAO again. Incredible run!

Honestly it’s been the most interesting run to track during the pandemic IMO.

• Like 1

I thought that I saw some ads for Men on TV...maybe I'm mixing it up with watching YouTube on television? I've definitely seen that trailer dozens of times online. It's also played in front of Everything Everywhere All At Once for weeks by now.

Cinemascore can only poll the people who come to theaters... I think the trailers did a good job of showing that Men was more "elevated horror" from A24, and everyone who wasn't interested in that just stayed home. So, Men gets a low opening weekend but a (slightly) better than expected Cinemascore, because the bulk of the audience that would have given it an F simply wasn't there last night. Not that a D+ is great, but it doesn't even get you the same notoriety/headlines as an F. This will have to find its audience on VOD/streaming.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I thought that I saw some ads for Men on TV...maybe I'm mixing it up with watching YouTube on television? I've definitely seen that trailer dozens of times online. It's also played in front of Everything Everywhere All At Once for weeks by now.

Cinemascore can only poll the people who come to theaters... I think the trailers did a good job of showing that Men was more "elevated horror" from A24, and everyone who wasn't interested in that just stayed home. So, Men gets a low opening weekend but a (slightly) better than expected Cinemascore, because the bulk of the audience that would have given it an F simply wasn't there last night. Not that a D+ is great, but it doesn't even get you the same notoriety/headlines as an F. This will have to find its audience on VOD/streaming.

A movie has truly generate a high level of animosity from paying audiences to reach the dreaded F CinemaScore (ala the unsuspecting folks who saw mother! due to the high level of talent involved only to be physically repulsed by the brutal visuals presented before them). Boredom will usually only result in a C/C- grade at worst.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

If anything the D+ shows that its target audience wasn't on board in addition to more casual genre fans; the rating is currently 3.3 on Letterboxd and will likely drop more. Midsommar managed a C+ just fine with audiences more aware of what they were getting into after Hereditary.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

Downton Abbey 2 had been seeing significant decreases overseas where it opened first, so it seems natural that the US followed suit.

Everything Everywhere will likely be staying around for a while with how strong it's holding with a relatively light schedule of only six wide releases over the next five weekends coming up, even with three tentpoles that will be taking up a lot of theater space among them. Even $60M+ doesn't seem impossible anymore. A true sensation (and well-deserved).

26 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

If anything the D+ shows that its target audience wasn't on board in addition to more casual genre fans; the rating is currently 3.3 on Letterboxd and will likely drop more. Midsommar managed a C+ just fine with audiences more aware of what they were getting into after Hereditary.

I feel like a moron because when I saw "D+ shows", I assumed we were talking about Moon Knight or whatever. I think it's a sign my brain's starting to rot. :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2