Eric the Fall Guy

Weekend Thread (5/20-22) | DS2 31.6, Downton 16, Bad Guys 6.1, Sonic 3.9, Men (are trash) 3.3

Movie Title                            Distributor    Gross      %YD %LW Th Per
Theater
Total
Gross
  Day
- (6) Firestarter Universal $540,000 +107% -65% 3,413 $158 $5,599,900 8
- (7) Fantastic Beasts: The Sec… Warner Bros. $500,000 +120% -24% 1,923 $260 $91,661,161 36
- (9) The Lost City Paramount Pi… $415,000 +185% -12% 1,396 $297 $98,182,023 57

3 minutes ago, Eric Crawley said:

I feel like a moron because when I saw "D+ shows", I assumed we were talking about Moon Knight or whatever. I think it's a sign my brain's starting to rot. :lol: 

Don't feel bad, I had the same thought

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

EEAAO has definitely been the most impressive run this year.

The more “traditionally” arthouse theatres that have sort of gone mainstream in the last couple of years (the one I work at being an example, arthouse fare still does well here, but most of the stuff we play is studio fare), EEAAO has been an absolute beast.

Yea, it has NOT been dropping at all. It’s been pulling out equivalent of 30-40M weekends for the past 6 weeks, and weekdays are also insane.  While the domestic box office is “only” 50M, in the markets where This thing is connecting, it is a GENUINE marvel-sized blockbuster.

• Like 4

Seeing EEAaO do so well DOM makes me wish A24 had even a sliver of competence when it came to rolling out their films internationally. It's a terrific film yet it's being buried over here. 😕

Edited by cookie

5 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

The Lighthouse is better regarded than Hereditary and Midsommar, especially Midsommar.. If you are counting Letterboxd and Imdb.
It's just that A24 missed the mark by not giving it a wide release, when it was better received than The Witch i.e.

But word of mouth helped TL a lot with streaming, and it already has almost the same number of ratings as both.

I wouldn’t consider The Lighthouse a horror film though. 

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

How has it been marketed well if it bombed on it opening weekend? That means terrible marketing. Good marketing puts butts in seats. This didn't even attract A24 crowd. 

Marketed well as in heavily marketed.

I can’t open any social media without adverts for it and I’ve had the trailer dozens of times in cinemas this year.

Different distributor here in the UK though I guess. 

Fair play to The Bad Guys, which I saw here in the UK well before the US release. Not the higher profile of these films that have had great week on week legs, but among them.

It's not doing tiptop Dreamworks numbers by any means, but given that it seemed to be being treated like a bit of an afterthought, had an extremely stunted release schedule, was competing directly with Sonic 2 and Fantastic Beasts, and had modest marketing I think it really has given a respectable showing. Given it has a handful of markets still in the locker it will end up outgrossing Boss Baby Family Business, Captain Underpands and Abominable which seem like the most appropriate equivalents. 

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I wouldn’t consider The Lighthouse a horror film though. 

Marketed well as in heavily marketed.

I can’t open any social media without adverts for it and I’ve had the trailer dozens of times in cinemas this year.

Different distributor here in the UK though I guess. 

Categorisation is tricky sometimes for horror, but I would put the Lighthouse VERY comfortably in the domain of horror films. It is without question designed with the intent to appeal to affect, and that the affect intended is in the negative, discomfort, disgust and shock areas.

But then I'd categorise The Northman as a horror film as well.

59 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The Lost City will make it to 100M. Good for Paramount. I just wish Sonic would have done 200M. Still 180M+ is very good

Yeah, even if Paramount sacrifices most of TLC’s theaters to Maverick, it will surely get some of the drive in pairings with it to get it over the number.

DS2 is stabilizing which means audience that avoids OW rush is now kicking in so arrival of Maverick and JW3 won't hurt it cause OW rush audience will carry those openings. Two different types of audience based on behavior/preference (whether to see a movie early or later). Over 400M has always been in the cards, but BOT wouldn't be BOT without premature panic. :lol:

However, Everything Everywhere is the boxoffice story of the first half of the year hands down. :bravo:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Downton Abbey 2 had been seeing significant decreases overseas where it opened first, so it seems natural that the US followed suit.

TBF the film aren't that expensive so it'll be profitable for Universal and Focus but whether it's enough for a third film remains to be seen.

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

TLC managed to hold strong despite being free on streaming for paramount+ users. On the other hand, batman collapse to dust once it dropped on hbo max. Is paramount+ really that unsuccessful as streamer?

I think it’s a matter of demographics too. I feel like family movies and tentpoles like CBMs would most certainly take the brunt at first.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

DS2 is stabilizing which means audience that avoids OW rush is now kicking in so arrival of Maverick and JW3 won't hurt it cause OW rush audience will carry those openings. Two different types of audience based on behavior/preference (whether to see a movie early or later). Over 400M has always been in the cards, but BOT wouldn't be BOT without premature panic. :lol:

However, Everything Everywhere is the boxoffice story of the first half of the year hands down. :bravo:

Doctor Strange 2 can still be hurt by those movies thanks to screen loss and competition. Take a look at Civil  War dropping 50% over Memorial Day weekend 

also even if DS2 crawls over 400m it will be some of the worst legs  for a Marvel film

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Eric Crawley said:

I feel like a moron because when I saw "D+ shows", I assumed we were talking about Moon Knight or whatever. I think it's a sign my brain's starting to rot. :lol: 

Yeah at first I was about to be like "oh god it's derailing a third weekend thread in a row"