Eric Prime

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I bet Disney would be interested in a Speed sequel with Reeves and Bullock especially since they can easily ignore Speed 2 although in terms of transport, I'm a bit stuck on what you could do as a train with a bomb has been done many times in movies.

Self-driving Tesla 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T-ReXXR said:

If they really want to do a ton of business at the box office, you have a 30 day theatrical window and then no streaming or VOD for a year. Force em' to get in there quick or lose it.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

All movies should get an exclusive theatrical release for one weekend, then vanish completely for a year… before coming back to theaters for 30 days, then digital. Let’s see those OW records fall baybee 😎

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

It’s cause of the religious aspect. Look at passion of the Christ. There you go.  Make a blockbuster with religious overtones and you get to 1.2 billion$

Doesn’t work anymore, the country has secularized a lot vs 2004 (and certainly vs the 80s).

Edited by Show Me The Legion

3 hours ago, Borf the Borf said:

Can you reflect the previews on your site somewhere to clear some of this up?   Likr vsn you add a True 4 day column?

Umm Amazon owns that site now pal.

3 hours ago, T-ReXXR said:

If they really want to do a ton of business at the box office, you have a 30 day theatrical window and then no streaming or VOD for a year. Force em' to get in there quick or lose it.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

Pirating would skyrocket but nice try.

36 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am mixed on Sean while not a huge fan of Ray. Brandon was the ultimate. Loved his write ups and during peak BOM, their international coverage was phenomenal with almost daily updates. 

Ray tried to keep it relevant. I didn't realize how much of a 1 man show these people were until Subers left and BOM fell into an abyss. 

11 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

May 2007 was likely one of the most crazy months box office wise.

Record huge openers but with flop legs and left fans pissed off. 

Pretty much yes. It wasn't just May either - June saw abominations such as FANTASTIC FOUR: RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER and EVAN ALMIGHTY.

The great thing was that the 2nd part of the summer was awesome.

-John McCLane returned in the much better and bigger than expected LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD.

-The excitement surrounding the release and break-out performance of TRANSFORMERS was highly reminiscent of the reception TG:M, is currently getting. 

-HARRY POTTER 5 was the franchises/WB's first attempt what would become a bit of staple mid-July blockbuster release and it was huge and awesome. 

-Pretty much every Simpsons fan ever showed up for the opening of THE SIMPSONS movie.

-THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM and RUSH HOUR 3 both did well.

-SUPERBAD became an iconic classic that capped Seth Rogans breakout summer

In hindsight, the summer was clear sign of changing times in pop culture. Stars and series that had dominated the 2000s up through that point, namely SPIDER-MAN, SHREK, and PIRATES - has basically run their course. Transformer was about take over, while the Apatow, Rogan run was getting underway. Pop culture in 2001-2007 feels pretty consistent; pop culture in 2009 was noticeably different from 2007. 2007 was really the end of the early aughts vibes. All in, it was a great summer to be a theater owner and box office follower. Though it wouldn't hold a candle to what would come the following the summer with the first Marvel film, the return of Indiana Jones, and the decade most insane run to moment - THE DARK KNIGHT; but of course, 2008 was the most transformative years in history in many things beyond entertainment. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PDC1987 said:

Y'all are ignoring the fact that Paramount+ has everything CBS and most content from its cable offshoots. Everything that airs on the main network is on the platform the next day.

I haven’t watched anything on cbs since

The Big Bang theory. Even when I was a kid it was “that boomer channel”

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brandon Gray said:

If Top Gun clears 153 (or 140 without previews), then it claims the Memorial $ record... But it does matter to have an accurate record. We need to sort this out: If newer movies get to include previews, then older movies do as well... My preference has always been to keep previews out of the weekend gross. In other words, I want previews excluded from the newer movies.

By the way, talking Top Gun now on Clubhouse:

https://www.clubhouse.com/room/mZqove2k?utm_medium=ch_room_merc&utm_campaign=s3vlLDZN_FfUEl3Lyb1m-g-213752

The grosses were always separate unless they were true midnights. It's easy to look up historically and has always puzzled those us longer term followers why this changed. 

BATMAN 1989

BATMAN RETURNS

INDEPENDENCE DAY

THE LAST WORLD

IRON MAN

MAN OF STEEL

8 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

This isn’t the first time Brandon Gray has busted Paramount. The other geezers like me probably remember when Paramount fudged the 5-day gross of Transformers 2 to reach $200M. Brandon nailed them in his reporting. He even put an asterisk on the report. Paramount gave some BS excuse about finding money in Puerto Rico. It was pretty damn funny. 

LMAO I remember this. Transformer's 2 made the stupid move of opening on a Wednesday and not have any real record challenging potential despite its historic hype. Thankfully these Wednesday/Thursday releases are a no longer a thing like they once were. CLONES, MATRIX 2, SITH, and Transformers 2 all opening non-Friday deprived us true opening weekend numbers.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

Me normally: ugh, capitalism sucks, these big corporations and ultra-rich folks hogging so much wealth.

Also me when a quarter-billion-dollar movie does well at the box office, makes buttloads of cash for a big corporation, and makes rich people richer: ooooooo yay!!!

Would you be better off if TGM didn't exist? If we cut up the Mona Lisa, would we all get a bit richer? 

12 minutes ago, excel1 said:

The grosses were always separate unless they were true midnights. It's easy to look up historically and has always puzzled those us longer term followers why this changed. 

BATMAN 1989

BATMAN RETURNS

INDEPENDENCE DAY

THE LAST WORLD

IRON MAN

MAN OF STEEL

LMAO I remember this. Transformer's 2 made the stupid move of opening on a Wednesday and not have any real record challenging potential despite its historic hype. Thankfully these Wednesday/Thursday releases are a no longer a thing like they once were. 

No we need Indiana Jones 5 to open on Wednesday June 28th for the world's first 7-day opening weekend.🤑

Edited by Alex SciChannel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

I'll drop my 2 cents about the exclusivity window discussion and leave. Netflix made $30 billion last year with only one product - subscriptions. ViacomCBS made $25 billion. That includes their new theatrical releases and their priceless catalogue generating revenue from all the windows possible. It also includes licensing products and their television business (Nickelodeon, MTV, etc.). We box office nerds worry that people will stop coming to theaters to see hit movies like Top Gun Maverick because they'd rather wait for them to be made available on Paramount+, but in reality Paramount is probably counting on it. They'll make more money from consumers who make that transition. 

Yeah, some people here seems to diminishing streaming platforms purely because of bias. 

It is a profitable business, it is way more accessible than a theater, and it is here to stay. 

Lots of people complain that people now wait to watch movies on streaming without noticing that going to a theater frequently is becoming an extremelly elitist program, it is too expensive, for many people wait to stream is the better option.

I do believe theatrical windows are very important but you can't complain about streaming without understand that is not just easy to watch things, but it's also more economically viable for millions, of course the industry will put some focus in these audience.

35 minutes ago, Eric Belcher said:

@grim22 this dude gets it

Tom Cruise mentoring a young, and likely diverse actor, maybe even a woman of color. Win the long overdue Oscar and also give a younger actor a boost using his Star power - win win.

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

He should have won for Magnolia imo

With the benefit of hindsight, it should have been for Jerry Maguire. It's pretty much the quintessential Tom Cruise performance before a Tom Cruise performance meant "see how Tom tries to kill himself this time"

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, krla said:

Would you be better off if TGM didn't exist? If we cut up the Mona Lisa, would we all get a bit richer? 

Huh? Lol. No, TGM was the best part of my weekend.

4 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Hell no it isn't insane.  It will do a ton of business.  

The window should match the movie and performance with no less than a 45 day.  If the movie is like NWH or TG2, then leave it theatrical for 120 days.  If it bombs or underperforms like The Northman, then 45 days is fine.  

What in the fuck is the rush to get these things on streaming where they will literally live forever.  Take you time and ride out all 3 viable revenue streams to their maximum.  1) Theatrical 2) PVOD 3) "Free" streaming

Bombs mat not do well on VOD (during shorter windows), though. 

"The Northman" is a good overperformer on PVOD, but "Ambluance" didn't overperform very much.

(some films would even underperform on PVOD ;  "Licorice Pizza" performed less well than Liam Neeson's "Blacklight" on PVOD)