Eric is Quiet

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

Damn.... thats a beautiful hold. 

I was on Team Pirates back in the BOM days, seems like a lifetime ago. I'd argue that not being around for 2007 (in general) so not understanding the disappointment of that May calendar is akin to not having witnessed the lead up to Avengers 3 and 4.... a decade from now, other than box office, newbies wont understand the awe and anticipation, particularly for Endgame. 

That said, the disappointment of Pirates 3 was palpable in the weekend threads :( no matter how great the 4day looks in comparison now, it was obvious that it wasnt coming close to DMC and at the time lent further argument to the daftness of scheduling sequels close together, ala Matrix 2 and 3. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Damn.... thats a beautiful hold. 

I was on Team Pirates back in the BOM days, seems like a lifetime ago. I'd argue that not being around for 2007 (in general) so not understanding the disappointment of that May calendar is akin to not having witnessed the lead up to Avengers 3 and 4.... a decade from now, other than box office, newbies wont understand the awe and anticipation, particularly for Endgame. 

That said, the disappointment of Pirates 3 was palpable in the weekend threads :( no matter how great the 4day looks in comparison now, it was obvious that it wasnt coming close to DMC and at the time lent further argument to the daftness of scheduling sequels close together, ala Matrix 2 and 3. 

Buzz around BOM forums leading up to May 2007 was one of a kind. Back then only tracking data we got were 1) Jeffrey Wells numbers for Awareness/Definite Interest/First Choice 2) Notfabio's data from RS/MTC. AWE was tracking 170m+ and so it was a disappointment for sure. 

• Like 2

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

Buzz around BOM forums leading up to May 2007 was one of a kind. Back then only tracking data we got were 1) Jeffrey Wells numbers for Awareness/Definite Interest/First Choice 2) Notfabio's data from RS/MTC. AWE was tracking 170m+ and so it was a disappointment for sure. 

I remember the craziness of arguing that the OW record could be broke 3 times in 1 month 😂😂 I mean if not for the stupid 5 day, Shrek 2 would have done that on its own so it made sense to think that. Then Spidey opened over 150m and then the reviews and WOM happened for the rest.... sigh those "were the days" as we old codgers would say. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I remember the craziness of arguing that the OW record could be broke 3 times in 1 month 😂😂 I mean if not for the stupid 5 day, Shrek 2 would have done that on its own so it made sense to think that. Then Spidey opened over 150m and then the reviews and WOM happened for the rest.... sigh those "were the days" as we old codgers would say. 

Bреме за спане дядо

Look, I get that AWE disappointed relative to expectations and TGM has exceeded them. I’m just saying, AWE was a far far far FAR bigger weekend. I feel like some people are going kinda crazy with TGM, it’s a “huge for this type of movie” open, not an actually HUGE open.

AWE 3day was a top 3 3day of all time (counting previews). TGM scraped into the top 40. It can be a big fish in a small pond vs AWE’s small fish in a big pond or whatever, all I’m asking is that no one try to tell me it’s actually a bigger fish because it very obviously is not.

Edited by Show Me The Legion
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Show Me The Legion said:

Look, I get that AWE disappointed relative to expectations and TGM has exceeded them. I’m just saying, AWE was a far far far FAR bigger weekend. I feel like some people are going kinda crazy with TGM, it’s a “huge for this type of movie” open, not an actually HUGE open.    

AWE 3day was a top 3 3day of all time (counting previews). TGM scraped into the top 40. It can be a big fish in a small pond vs AWE’s small fish in a big pond or whatever, all I’, asking is that no one try to tell me it’s actually a bigger fish because it very obviously is not.

Your request is denied. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Show Me The Legion said:

AWE 3day was a top 3 3day of all time (counting previews). TGM scraped into the top 40. It can be a big fish in a small pond vs AWE’s small fish in a big pond or whatever, all I’m asking is that no one try to tell me it’s actually a bigger fish because it very obviously is not.

But such is the way of Box Office 🤷‍♂️ AWE is a bigger deal, 15 years ago. Neither film takes away from the other but reality isn't data as much as perception (for most folks) and the perceptions are night and day different. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Your request is denied. 

Are you actually trying to say that TGM’s weekend is bigger? Why would you want to throw away all analytical credibility like that? The numerical facts are plain as day.   

If you just mean that you don’t appreciated my pointing out that AWE weekend was a lot bigger, sure, that”s your prerogative 

Edited by Show Me The Legion

1 minute ago, Show Me The Legion said:

Are you actually trying to say that TGM’s weekend is bigger? Why would you want to throw away all analytical credibility like that? The numerical facts are plain as day.   

If you just mean that you don’t appreciated my pointing out that AWE weekend was a lot bigger, sure, that”s your prerogative 

need to incorporate vibes into your analyses

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Show Me The Legion said:

No, I'm actually trying to say your reading comprehension is bad and you should really go back and re-read what people wrote.  

• Like 1

Let me help you.  Myself and others said that TG2's weekend was more impressive.  

For whatever reason, you interpreted that to be some statistical value of bigger.  

Myself and others maintain that TG2's opening weekend is more impressive given all the factors.  

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Let me help you.  Myself and others said that TG2's weekend was more impressive.  

For whatever reason, you interpreted that to be some statistical value of bigger.  

Myself and others maintain that TG2's opening weekend is more impressive given all the factors.  

Yes, agreed.

A 30+ year later legacy sequel, that was delayed for two years, DOUBLING Tom Cruise’s biggest opening weekend is far more impressive than a conclusion to a trilogy failing to match the opening of the middle chapter that broke the OW record less than a year before.

• Like 2