Eric Furiosa

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

If you told anyone a year ago, Top Gun would make this much they'd think you were talking about the domestic total. 

While, going back in history and reading Deadline, Pirates 3 was a disappointment

The No. 1 movie in the country Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World’s End didn’t meet the huge expectations for its 3-day box office gross receipts and trails Spider-Man 3‘s treasure trove. The Disney romp found $38 million in box office treasure Saturday, down 12% from its $43 million on Friday. Sunday is projected at $18.5 mil. So that’s $116 mil for its 3-day weekend from 4,362 theaters, well behind Sony’s Spider-Man 3‘s record-setting $151 mil from 4,252 venues earlier this month. “It looks like Pirates needed the full 4-day holiday weekend, plus the prime showtimes on Thursday, to beat what Spidey 3 did,” one expert told me. “As great as these numbers are, and they are indeed great, it looks like they really came up short compared to what people expected.”

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

If you told anyone a year ago, Top Gun would make this much they'd think you were talking about the domestic total. 

While, going back in history and reading Deadline, Pirates 3 was a disappointment

The No. 1 movie in the country Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World’s End didn’t meet the huge expectations for its 3-day box office gross receipts and trails Spider-Man 3‘s treasure trove. The Disney romp found $38 million in box office treasure Saturday, down 12% from its $43 million on Friday. Sunday is projected at $18.5 mil. So that’s $116 mil for its 3-day weekend from 4,362 theaters, well behind Sony’s Spider-Man 3‘s record-setting $151 mil from 4,252 venues earlier this month. “It looks like Pirates needed the full 4-day holiday weekend, plus the prime showtimes on Thursday, to beat what Spidey 3 did,” one expert told me. “As great as these numbers are, and they are indeed great, it looks like they really came up short compared to what people expected.”

Pirates 3 was tracking at the exact same weekend gross and was looking to be a disappointment to such an extent that there were already pre-emptive defenses of its box office opening online.

Didn't help that the movie itself sucked as well. So the disappointment narrative stuck.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Your other points are valid, but these are fighting words. 

Pirates 2 and 3 are among the best big blockbusters Hollywood produced in this century, in my opinion 

And i think they're aging very well, people really liked those movies despite the bad reviews etc.

Sadly the 4 and 5 are among the worst.

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Pirates 2 and 3 are among the best big blockbusters Hollywood produced in this century, in my opinion 

And i think they're aging very well, people really liked those movies despite the bad reviews etc.

Sadly the 4 and 5 are among the worst.

Yeah the first three Pirates are some of my favorite blockbusters ever. 2 and 3 are helped by the addition of the iconic Davy Jones and just going all in on the craziness. 

I haven't seen 4, I wouldn't say 5 was among the worst blockbusters I've seen (it was pretty average imo) but definitely a huge step down. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

box score reader vs game watcher type vibes

• Like 1

May 2007 was a very fierce period because studios put Spider Man 3, Shrek 3 & Pirates 3, -- three sequels to highest-grossing domestic films from different year -- in the same month. Intensive schedule become very usual later but was something very uncommon 15 years ago. I remember all three of them were seen as "disappointments". Paramount released first the TF movie in June/July that year, and that one topped Pirates 3 and was close to Shrek 3.

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Your other points are valid, but these are fighting words. 

At least back when it opend Pirates 3 was huge disappointment across the board. Reception and legs were meh as well. I saw it opening saturday at AMC Newport and it was barely 10% full and that is when I realized its not doing well. I was in pirates team on which of the three will win the May 2007 BO :-)

At least it was better than SM3(saw it opening friday night at a full imax show) or Shrek 3(I saw early screening 2 days before release). Not that it mattered when it came to BO. Transformers took all the buzz from that summer and the movie I liked the most apart from Pixar(Ratatouille is still my all time fav) was Simpsons. It was a blast for sure. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

May 2007 was a very fierce period because studios put Spider Man 3, Shrek 3 & Pirates 3, -- three sequels to highest-grossing domestic films from different year -- in the same month. Intensive schedule become very usual later but was something very uncommon 15 years ago. I remember all three of them were seen as "disappointments". Paramount released first the TF movie in June/July that year, and that one topped Pirates 3 and was close to Shrek 3.

2007 was a highly disappointing year; thank god we had the GOAT 2008 to bring things back to life.

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

At least back when it opend Pirates 3 was huge disappointment across the board. Reception and legs were meh as well. I saw it opening saturday at AMC Newport and it was barely 10% full and that is when I realized its not doing well. I was in pirates team on which of the three will win the May 2007 BO 🙂

At least it was better than SM3(saw it opening friday night at a full imax show) or Shrek 3(I saw early screening 2 days before release). Not that it mattered when it came to BO. Transformers took all the buzz from that summer and the movie I liked the most apart from Pixar(Ratatouille is still my all time fav) was Simpsons. It was a blast for sure. 

Pirates 3 was just too soon and then scheduled far too close to massive competitors whose buzz just overwhelmed it. 

10 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

At least back when it opend Pirates 3 was huge disappointment across the board. Reception and legs were meh as well. I saw it opening saturday at AMC Newport and it was barely 10% full and that is when I realized its not doing well. I was in pirates team on which of the three will win the May 2007 BO 🙂

Feels like people who didn't live through the build up to the May 2007 showdown don't know how much a feeling of disappointment ran through Spider-Man 3, Shrek 3 and Pirates 3. The three threequels which all disappointed to expectations and critical reception.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

BO wise sure, I was just debating him on the quality of the movie :) It's one of my favorites. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Feels like people who didn't live through the build up to the May 2007 showdown don't know how much a feeling of disappointment ran through Spider-Man 3, Shrek 3 and Pirates 3. The three threequels which all disappointed to expectations and critical reception.

Spidey 3 absolute lived up to expect on opening weekend, but that's it.