Eric is Quiet

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

3 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Deadline cant scare me. Asgardian gods though ... they do.

I can say ive never looked forward to and at the same time dreaded a first update from either charlie, EC or RTH so much lol.

You must feel like me during Scream’s opening weekend in January. I think I asked Empire City to hold my hand 😂

Just got back from Jurassic World: Dominion. It was packed. 

While I didn’t enjoy it as much as Jurassic World (JW is a 5/5 perfect blockbuster to me), I preferred it to Fallen Kingdom, Lost World and III.

I won’t say anything in fear of spoilers. But the last 30 minutes was completely fun and made up for some of the slower parts and a plot I wasn’t a fan of. 

MVP’s: Claire, Ellie, Kayla. Whew!

3.5/5 from me. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

He's legit Great as part of the Parks and Rec ensemble too. 

Everyone's forgotten about that. Along with his roles in Moneyball, Zero Dark Thirty, and Her. All of which he's pretty good in.

Edited by ringedmortality
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ZurgXXR said:

While Deadline's number is likely lowballing, I do think it puts an upper maximum somewhere around $145M and a more likely number around $137-140M. 

Don’t think I agree. Extrapolating from mid-day sales - just like pre-Thursday presales - is tricky, and if you’re using the wrong comps, can be off by a significant amount. JWD is the most walk-up heavy, late-night crowd, and West coast strong release we’ve had in a while, far different from MCUs, TG2, even Batman

For Venom, Deadline mid-Friday was $25-$30M, actual Fri was $37M.  For Shangi-Chi, it was $25M, final was $29. That’s a 27% miss on SC for TFri, and like 40% for Venom 2. Even the same $ for $ miss as Venom puts Fri at $62M

There’s a reason Deadline is Deadline 

• Like 1

Hopefully they low-balled that Fri number for TGM, and actuals will be north of 15, close to 16m. Nice to see that 50m is the floor. Solid hold against a big opener. Either way it's hitting 400m and overtaking DS2 on Monday. Father's Day and 4th of July still to come...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Nothing went wrong.

The film itsefl will bring in tons of money, Universal will make a very good profit on it.

But, yeah, It seems likely it is not going to dominate the summer like some here were projecting.

Fanboys way  overpredicted it's box office. But then that is what they generally do.

Well, a few things happened... TGM exploded beyond what pretty anyone (yes I know a few did) expected and sucked in a lot of the box office oxygen and water cooler talk. And, I think most didn't expect JWD to be received this poorly. Now, of course, we can say that for word of mouth yet at all but I think many expected the reception to be more along that of JW than that of JWFK and JPIII. If those don't happen, it's first true event movie of the summer. But, they did happen. And, now TGM is the first true event movie of the summer and, heck, might even win the year. It's the must see movie in theaters everyone is talking about and not JWD.

With that, I do think Thor is now positioned well if it's fun like last Thor to do really well. TGM will have burned off pretty much all demand, JWD will have as well and Lightyear too. July is pretty barren outside of Nope which doesn't look like it'll have much of an overlap in audience in anyway with Thor. So, with that, Thor more and more looks like it very well could be the #2 movie this summer blockbuster season to TGM. Going into the summer I imagine most everyone expected JWD and Strange to be the two top grossers domestic. They may end up #3 and #4 now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

You must feel like me during Scream’s opening weekend in January. I think I asked Empire City to hold my hand 😂

Just got back from Jurassic World: Dominion. It was packed. 

While I didn’t enjoy it as much as Jurassic World (JW is a 5/5 perfect blockbuster to me), I preferred it to Fallen Kingdom, Lost World and III.

I won’t say anything in fear of spoilers. But the last 30 minutes was completely fun and made up for some of the slower parts and a plot I wasn’t a fan of. 

MVP’s: Claire, Ellie, Kayla. Whew!

3.5/5 from me. 

Im glad you enjoyed it! And yes i agree Dominion is surprisingly the Jurassic World movie with the best female character perfomances. Ellie (and Laura Dern for that matter) is ofc always a treasure, but Claire is imo far and away the best shes been in the trilogy and Kayla was very entertaining. My god, i didnt even mind Maisie for a second lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Hopefully they low-balled that Fri number for TGM, and actuals will be north of 15, close to 16m. Nice to see that 50m is the floor. Solid hold against a big opener. Either way it's hitting 400m and overtaking DS2 on Monday. Father's Day and 4th of July still to come...

Top Gun will be doing Top Gun things i reckon. Loss of PLF's hurts it ofc, but the people will just go to regular showings. Woudnt be surprised with high 50s for the weekend or even 60M+ if it has a great Sat bump

7 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Top Gun will be doing Top Gun things i reckon. Loss of PLF's hurts it ofc, but the people will just go to regular showings. Woudnt be surprised with high 50s for the weekend or even 60M+ if it has a great Sat bump

Loss of PLF and corresponding limited supply probably means less urgency for presales, so won’t be surprised (kinda expecting) the TG2 Deadline estimate to come up too 

Edited by M37

25 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I don't get the hate either. He's at least serviceable in all his movies and rocks in Guardians

This is honestly one of the most absurd hates I have ever seen. People are just gonna hate no matter what...

Just got back from Dominion.

I have been mean about the series already here so I won't go on any more.

I am glad that people who enjoyed it did so. My showing was fairly full, only surpassed this year by TGM (ie more than MOM).

I will give it that I found it better than Fallen Kingdom. I think I might even think it's the more entertaining of this trilogy (albeit for me is an incredibly low bar: a C- rather than a JW:D+ or FK:D).

But if Morbius was worth weeks worth of trolling memes, the Jurassic-World-magic-hands-move surely deserves the same.

I hope that the series shifts towards the enclosed and tension-driven tale again when it next surfaces. Smaller scale (no pun intended) mano-a-mano isolated type situations.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

This is honestly one of the most absurd hates I have ever seen. People are just gonna hate no matter what...

I mean surely it's just an overexposure issue. And that he's been seemingly quite dissonantly cast in some things recently.

He had a moment and then it passed and he's suffering the same way Seth Rogen and Melissa McCarthy, for instance, suffered. His skills were a little overstated (the second coming of Harrison Ford monicker didn't help) and then there's been an overcorrection.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This is a good point

Anyone who has read the script for Trevorrows Episode IX knows that it would have probably been a bad movie as well. But the difference is imo that it would still have been a movie that tried a lot harder to be an actual finale to the 9-Movie-Saga.

Instead weve got "Somehow Palpatine returns".

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cap said:

How can you honestly know what really happened? This is not a proof of anything really. The dog was found in the streets, but Anna Faris said that they gave the dog to another owners. That is literally all we know. Is what she said true? Maybe it is or maybe not, but we just don't know. Accusations are not the gospel...

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This is a good point

No it's not because at least Trevorrow  bought the story they were trying to tell full circle from Episode 7 whereas TROS of Skywalker almost completely ignored it's build up from previous movies and and brought back Palpatine with no explanation just because.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Just got back from Dominion.

I have been mean about the series already here so I won't go on any more.

I am glad that people who enjoyed it did so. My showing was fairly full, only surpassed this year by TGM (ie more than MOM).

I will give it that I found it better than Fallen Kingdom. I think I might even think it's the more entertaining of this trilogy (albeit for me is an incredibly low bar: a C- rather than a JW:D+ or FK:D).

But if Morbius was worth weeks worth of trolling memes, the Jurassic-World-magic-hands-move surely deserves the same.

I hope that the series shifts towards the enclosed and tension-driven tale again when it next surfaces. Smaller scale (no pun intended) mano-a-mano isolated type situations.

Jurassic Park is the only really great movie of the franchise. And although I do enjoy Jurassic Park 3 and the first Jurassic World, it does not come close to the first one and even the Lost World.